M4A3E8 in Korea - 64th Tank Battalion
-> AFV News Discussion Board

#1: M4A3E8 in Korea - 64th Tank Battalion Author: Burik PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2014 2:22 pm
    ----
Hi Folks:

I am doing a model project for the 1-64 HQ at Ft Stewart. They want to show the heritage of the unit, which began with the 758th Light Tank Battalion in Italy during WWII. That is another project. But when they went to Korea they were renamed the 64th Heavy Tank Battalion, which consisted of M4A3E8s and M46s. I am showing the Easy Eight with some tank riders as that was common in the early part of the war when tanks were still being used in their traditional role.

Anyway, there is not much in the way of good photos of Easy Eights, but I have some. I plan on doing one called Skeeter Hawk that has a tiger face over the 3rd ID patch on the front, and the nickname on the side. I only have one photo of this from a Concord book written by Steven Zaloga about armor in Korea. It shows the tank broken down by the side of a road.

Does anybody here know more about Easy Eights in Korea? I wonder if any other photos of Skeeter Hawk exist? It appears they would carry some gear on the back deck, but no much. And it appears crews were wearing M1943 clothing just like the infantry. And the football style helmets were still common. From what I have read and see, other than maybe Marines, it does not seem the Army crews wore the short style tanker jacket from WWII.

All the best.

Bob

#2: Re: M4A3E8 in Korea - 64th Tank Battalion Author: TrevorLarkumLocation: Northampton, England PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2014 6:53 pm
    ----
I've had a look through Simon Dunstan's 'Armour of the Korean War' but it doesn't have anything on 64th TB Easy Eights that I could see.

#3: Re: M4A3E8 in Korea - 64th Tank Battalion Author: binder001 PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2014 4:25 pm
    ----
- Burik
Hi Folks: It appears they would carry some gear on the back deck, but no much. And it appears crews were wearing M1943 clothing just like the infantry. And the football style helmets were still common. Bob

As far as the stowage - remember that an M4A3 takes in its radiator cooling air from on top of the deck, so in WW2 or Korea you see the stowage piled further aft on an M4a3. The M4/M4A1 had a different air handling vent which left more open space on the rear deck, so they had more gear piled there (as long as it didn't interfere with turret traverse).

Korean War M4A3s seem to have operated "closer to home" and one doesn't see as many big piles of personal gear or fuel and lube cans. One does tend to see quite a bit of .30 cal MG ammo stowed on fenders or glacis.

#4: Re: M4A3E8 in Korea - 64th Tank Battalion Author: Burik PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2014 11:28 pm
    ----
Yes, I noticed that about the back deck too. I will be placing infantry riders on the back as shown in many photos and video. The fold up shelf hanging off the rear deck will have some stowage. It appears in a few photos I can see air recognition panels so I may throw one of those on too.

-> AFV News Discussion Board