7,7cm IG L/27 at Jameston
-> Artillery Forum

#1: 7,7cm IG L/27 at Jameston Author: CharlieC PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2014 10:55 am
    ----
One of my many projects is researching the derivatives of the German 7,7cm FK 96 n.A. One of the most modified variants of the FK 96 was the 7,7cm IG (Infanterie Geschutz) L/27. I had thought there were very few survivors of these guns. However, there are at least 4 in North America.
One of them is at the Pennsylvania Military Museum in Boalsburg, PA. The other is in Thomaston. I don't know which state and there are 5 Thomastons in the USA. Anyone know where this gun is? A bonus for me would be some better images of the gun.

Regards,

Charlie

#2: Re: 7,7cm IG L/27 at Thomaston Author: CharlieC PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2014 12:28 am
    ----
Found the gun - don't know why I said Jameston meant Thomaston.

It's Thomaston, CT at Google coords 41.674007, -73.072779 at the foot of the war memorial cnr Main and East Main Sts.

Anyone have images of this gun?

Regards,

Charlie

#3: Re: 7,7cm IG L/27 at Jameston Author: Pzkpfw-e PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2014 7:20 pm
    ----

#4: Re: 7,7cm IG L/27 at Jameston Author: CharlieC PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2014 10:03 pm
    ----
Thank you for the images.

I'd guess there may be other examples of the IG L/27 and the Nahkampfkanone lurking misidentified among the surviving guns.

The Nahkampfkanone is harder to pick since it was a fairly minimal modification of the standard FK 96 n.A (smaller wheels, deleted lower section of the gun shield and footrests on the axle tree seats).

Regards,

Charlie

#5: Re: 7,7cm IG L/27 at Jameston Author: vagabondLocation: Constantly moving across US PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2014 5:18 pm
    ----
Charlie -

Is this the 7,7cm IG (Infanterie Geschutz) L/27 you mention? Photo is from our gallery of the PA Military Museum in Boalsburg.

Gallery link:
www.vgbimages.com/AFV-...937_NH7GqV

#6: Re: 7,7cm IG L/27 at Jameston Author: CharlieC PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2014 11:43 pm
    ----
Certainly looks like a 7,7cm IG L/27. The images from the rear of the gun tick most of the boxes as an IG.

Does the museum know they have a rare gun parked outside?

I have a list of diagnostic items which help identify IG L/27s which might help people identify surviving IGs lurking among the FK 96 n.As.

1. the wheel diameter was reduced to about 1m (I've read 960mm but I'm not certain about this)
2. the wheel track was reduced by about 30cm.
3. the axle was moved back about 30cm.
4. no axle tree seats were fitted.
5. the gun shield was designed so it could be removed easily and was narrower
6. the cover over the recuperator spring adjuster was enlarged and hinged (the barrel could be removed by unlocking the spur under the barrel from the recoil assembly)
7. the gunner's and loader's seat brackets were a different design.
8. there are brackets at the end of trail which originally held a counterweight required because the gun was unbalanced because the axle had been moved back.
9. the spade is a different profile (not certain about this one).

The total build of IG L/27s seems to have been about 240 guns. The IGs were more likely to have been captured than the field guns since they were deployed at infantry battalion level under infantry control, i.e. very close to the front line.

Regards,

Charlie

-> Artillery Forum