Skwirrell's Chopper
-> Officer's Club

#1: Skwirrell's Chopper Author: ShadesLocation: 3rd Branch up, 'Ye Olde Oak', Green Wood. PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2014 7:06 pm
    ----
Sorry guys,
No idea what it was, but I know someone woulda been pissed off if I didn't post.
Flying over "Crummock Water" in Cumbria.
Happened to have my Canon EOS600D with me and ready to go but had to wrestle a bigger lens on, as soon as I heard them.
Luckily I just made it as they came level and got down into the bowl.

(http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b228/Redkwirrell/Local/Lake%20District/DPP_0048_zps6423892b.jpg)

[links provided for larger PhotoBucket versions]

#2: Re: Skwirrell's Chopper Author: ShadesLocation: 3rd Branch up, 'Ye Olde Oak', Green Wood. PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2014 7:12 pm
    ----

(http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b228/Redkwirrell/Local/Lake%20District/DPP_0049_zpsf02dda53.jpg)

#3: Re: Skwirrell's Chopper Author: ShadesLocation: 3rd Branch up, 'Ye Olde Oak', Green Wood. PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2014 7:13 pm
    ----

(http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b228/Redkwirrell/Local/Lake%20District/DPP_0047_zps7128172d.jpg)

#4: Re: Skwirrell's Chopper Author: JG300-AscoutLocation: Cyberspace PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2014 12:00 am
    ----
Glad you posted (it actually hurts to say that....)

These look like Bell 205 derivatives, but with twin engines and 4 blades, which the Navy/Marines here still use (I think, as the UH-1N). Those guys are funny about having two engines when flying over water.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/..._Twin_Huey

#5: Re: Skwirrell's Chopper Author: ShadesLocation: 3rd Branch up, 'Ye Olde Oak', Green Wood. PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2014 7:05 am
    ----
Ty, ty, ty.

There were RAF jets low-flying all around the hills on D-Day too, some over the towns up there.
It's unusual for 'em to low-fly the towns, but they were still too quick for me to shoot them.
Last year I saw Tornado's up one of the mountains there (close enough to see the pilot's face then), but these weren't Tornado's.
Nor were they 'Euro-Fighters'.
Damned annoying I couldn't get a shot of 'em.

EDIT: I'm an idiot!
I have much bigger shots of the choppers.
I'll just take the surround out and post the choppers at their actual size.
D'Oh!

#6: Re: Skwirrell's Chopper Author: ShadesLocation: 3rd Branch up, 'Ye Olde Oak', Green Wood. PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2014 7:20 am
    ----

#7: Re: Skwirrell's Chopper Author: RCAF_WingnutLocation: Omaha, Ne. PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2014 3:35 pm
    ----
With two engines, it probably is a Bell 412. They are pretty snappy helos and worth flying. I have a version for my Flight Sim from Hovercontrol.

#8: Re: Skwirrell's Chopper Author: raima55 PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2014 5:35 pm
    ----
If anything, it's an improvement....and less inbreeding is something them Brits have needed for centuries! Wink

#9: Re: Skwirrell's Chopper Author: ShadesLocation: 3rd Branch up, 'Ye Olde Oak', Green Wood. PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2014 10:16 am
    ----
- raima55
If anything, it's an improvement....and less inbreeding is something them Brits have needed for centuries! Wink

Welcome to the forum.

-> Officer's Club