Fort Knox still worth the trip?
-> AFV News Discussion Board

#1: Fort Knox still worth the trip? Author: supertsar PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2014 6:26 pm
    ----
We are going to Mammoth Caves in Kentucky in 2 weeks... near Fort Knox. Wondering what is left at Knox - the web site shows an M10 and an M7 Priest. Anybody know what else is there? Is the T28/T95 still out front? If so that would probably make it worth the trip. How bout the panther/hummel wrecks? My 9 and 11 year olds have never been there. Any guidance/inventory would be greatly appreciated.

#2: Re: Fort Knox still worth the trip? Author: supertsar PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2014 6:33 pm
    ----
Just saw a picture of the T28 at Fort Benning.... darn.

#3: Re: Fort Knox still worth the trip? Author: armyjunk2 PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2014 7:39 pm
    ----
They have a rebuilt WWII barracks, and the Patton things inside. If you have never been there and its close, stop, not much to see anymore compared to the way it was.

If you are in the general area, two GOOD military museums are: Ropkey's Armour Museum, Crawfordsville, IN and the Indiana Military Museum, in Vincennes, IN. Both have Facebook pages/websites if you care to investigate further.

And another is Indiana National Guard at Camp Atterbury, Edinburgh, IN.

#4: Re: Fort Knox still worth the trip? Author: armyjunk2 PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2014 7:50 pm
    ----
a quick link to most of what's at Ft Knox...see Patton Museum Fort Knox 06 2013 click here...... Fort Knox

#5: Re: Fort Knox still worth the trip? Author: supertsar PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2014 8:00 pm
    ----
Thanks Armyjunk2 - nice pics in your thread. Surprised the stug was still there. Might be worth squeezing in if we have the time.

#6: Re: Fort Knox still worth the trip? Author: Doug_KibbeyLocation: The Great Satan PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2014 8:16 pm
    ----
- armyjunk2
a quick link to most of what's at Ft Knox...see Patton Museum Fort Knox 06 2013 click here...... Fort Knox

Jeez, that was depressing. (Not your pics, which are excellent, just the lack of subject matter and expanse of empty space Sad )

Well, I did like the reconstructed temp barracks, even though they looked nothing like ol' T-6206 did when still in use in the '70's. Funny, the stuff I failed to take pics of at the time, that I wish I had now.

#7: Re: Fort Knox still worth the trip? Author: Geoff_walden PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2014 5:47 pm
    ----
I was there this morning. It's pretty much unchanged since armyjunk2 took those photos a year ago - lots of wide open unused space, lots of unlabeled items. Thankfully, the mannequins in ROTC uniforms seem to be gone. The section with the Stug is closed off, so I assume the Stug is still there. There is a burned fire truck now in the 9/11 display. I saw a couple of vehicle photos with incorrect labels ... an MLRS is labeled as a Patriot, and the crowning blow to the spirits of old tankers at Fort Knox - an M60A3 is labeled as an M1 Abrams.

It was actually quite a disappointing experience. I can't imagine that anyone travels very far to see this museum now (unless they are a Patton fan).

Speaking of M1s, there is a vehicle display outside Harmon Hall that I assume is for the ROTC cadets at ROTC camp now. There is an M1A2, M1IP, Paladin, Stryker, Patriot launcher, some route clearance vehicles. The armored vehicles have bumper numbers that say DOTS - what does this mean?

#8: Re: Fort Knox still worth the trip? Author: DontosLocation: Vine Grove, KY PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2014 2:04 am
    ----
Geoff

Didn't know you were back in town.

The current statics are for the Summer Camp currently ongoing.

As for stuff in the museum,....yes the StuG is still there. Not really sure of ongoing 'upgrades' within the Museum, I don't have much time to visit due to my current work schedule.

Regards
Don

#9: Re: Fort Knox still worth the trip? Author: TrevorLarkumLocation: Northampton, England PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2014 7:31 pm
    ----
I believe most of the vehicles listed outside are still there, unless someone can correct me:

Preserved Tanks at Fort Knox

#10: Re: Fort Knox still worth the trip? Author: armyjunk2 PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2014 2:18 pm
    ----
Only 5 vehicles outside.......the rest of the outside Museum vehicles are gone

#11: Re: Fort Knox still worth the trip? Author: Geoff_walden PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2014 1:48 am
    ----
Hi Don,

I'm just home on leave for awhile.

Took a trip to Minnesota last week and stopped at the Minnesota Military Museum at Camp Ripley on the way home. What a great museum! This is what a military museum SHOULD be - thousands of artifacts on display, good explanatory labels, tank displays where they even encourage you to climb up on them - they provide metal stairs and everything (M1 S/N 0285 and a Sherman Jumbo).

#12: Re: Fort Knox still worth the trip? Author: armyjunk2 PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2014 2:04 am
    ----
I went to the Indiana Military Museum, in Vincennes, IN. today, very nice museum. Lots of vehicles.

#13: Re: Fort Knox still worth the trip? Author: WalterLocation: Arnhem PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2014 4:33 am
    ----
Hi Roger
Any german vehicles there ?

Walter

-> AFV News Discussion Board