Recovered history
-> AFV News Discussion Board

#1: Recovered history Author: C_Sherman PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2014 3:32 am
    ----
Hi,

Recently we recovered about 1200 slides from my father's house, before he could "clean up" and decide that nobody wanted them. We had them scanned, and discovered a treasure trove of family and military history. I thought you guys would enjoy seeing some of these.

D Co, 3/37AR conducted for tank gunnery in Germany, about 1959. These are M48A1s that still have the tensioning idler at the rear, and with the jettisonable fuel racks on the back. We believe that Dad was a Platoon Leader with D Co. at the time. 3/37AR was based in Schweinfurt, so this is most likely a range Grafenwoehr, although Dad has talked about using ranges at Hoehn or something like that.

www.com-central.net/in...fullsize=1

Railhead operations, most likely either before or after the gunnery cycle shown above.

I believe that this is Dad's mount around that time:

Probably in early 1960, the battalion participated in winter exercises:

Sometime just before he left Germany in mid-1962, the battalion received new M60 tanks. These appear to to be early issued models, as they still have the external commander's MG on the cupola. Of course as soon as you take them to the field, some joe is going to drive in the mud...

I hope you enjoy seeing these as much as I did. We still have thousands of negatives to sort and print, so there will probably be more later.

Chuck

#2: Re: Recovered history Author: C_Sherman PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2014 3:35 am
    ----
I guess I've forgotten how to make the pictures actually show in my post. Sorry!

#3: Re: Recovered history Author: Rick_EshlemanLocation: Lewes, Delaware, USA PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2014 9:26 am
    ----
Chuck,
Thanks for sharing your Dad's photos! They are good views of his unit and of historic value. I enjoyed looking at them, look forward to seeing more. Rick

#4: Re: Recovered history Author: Pzkpfw-e PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2014 1:17 pm
    ----
Treasure trove!

#5: Re: Recovered history Author: Doug_KibbeyLocation: The Great Satan PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2014 1:56 pm
    ----
Awesome stuff, Chuck. Please post more!

Is that your dad in the pic with the 1st Sgt. and recovery vehicle and APC on the train? Love those Ridgeway caps (NOT!) Laughing

If this was '59, then it was just 12 years prior to my service, and on very similar models (M48A2C's, I think). Never did Germany as a G.I., but often as a civvie.

#6: Re: Recovered history Author: toadmanstankpictures PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2014 4:12 pm
    ----
Fantastic pics!

#7: Re: Recovered history Author: C_Sherman PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2014 12:15 am
    ----
- Doug_Kibbey

Is that your dad in the pic with the 1st Sgt. and recovery vehicle and APC on the train? Love those Ridgeway caps (NOT!) Laughing

If this was '59, then it was just 12 years prior to my service, and on very similar models (M48A2C's, I think). Never did Germany as a G.I., but often as a civvie.

Nope, Dad was a skinny little s*** back then, no belly...yet. I have a few pics of him in uniform, including one that looks like a selfie from the tower at that range. I'll post it later. He looks so, so young...

BTW, did anyone recognize that range? I'm curious about where it is.

C

#8: Re: Recovered history Author: Doug_KibbeyLocation: The Great Satan PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2014 1:39 am
    ----
- C_Sherman
- Doug_Kibbey

Nope, Dad was a skinny little s*** back then, no belly...yet. I have a few pics of him in uniform, including one that looks like a selfie from the tower at that range. I'll post it later. He looks so, so young...

BTW, did anyone recognize that range? I'm curious about where it is.

C

I've forwarded your pics to a retired O-6 who was a CO of mine in VN asking that very question (he had Germany time in armor before his first tour with SF). Waiting for reply.

#9: Re: Recovered history Author: vw82 PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2014 11:07 am
    ----
Wonderful photos!
In the first photo of the railhead operations there is a civilian lunch wagon serving the troops.
If you can enlarge that area of the photo enough you can perhaps make out the operators name & licence plate & tell where its registrated. Therefore the area and range location.

#10: Re: Recovered history Author: Doug_KibbeyLocation: The Great Satan PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2014 5:05 pm
    ----
Chuck, from someone who was there in '59, FWIW:

"Unclear to me whether ranges were at Graf or Baumholder. Hohenfels did not have main gun ranges in 1959, and I'm not sure if units were using Wildflicken.
My unit only used Graf for tank firing, and my recollection was that firing infrastructure was gravel and more austere."

#11: Re: Recovered history Author: WimD.Location: The Netherlands PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2014 7:38 pm
    ----
4D Co, 3/37AR conducted for tank gunnery in Germany, about 1959. These are M48A1s that still have the tensioning idler at the rear, and with the jettisonable fuel racks on the back. We believe that Dad was a Platoon Leader with D Co. at the time. 3/37AR was based in Schweinfurt, so this is most likely a range Grafenwoehr, although Dad has talked about using ranges at Hoehn or something like that.

Chuck[/quote]

Hi Chuck,

I think your father was talking about Hohne, from the Bergen-Hohne Training area: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/...ining_Area

It is the largest training area in Germany.

Regards,
Wim.

#12: Re: Recovered history Author: Geoff_walden PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 5:06 pm
    ----
Those are GREAT pics, Chuck - thanks! To me, it looks more like Graf than Bergen-Hohne (I was just at Bergen-Hohne last week ... I had not realized that BAOR troops are still stationed there - nice folks to visitors). It's not Wildflecken - too flat. Not sure if units from Schweinfurt ever went to Baumholder ... not while I was stationed there, anyway (which was many years after your father's pics were taken).

Look at all that ammo to blow downrange ... wow.

It looks like MAYBE there is an Edelweiss logo on the back of the "gut truck" at the railhead ... maybe ... if true, that would point more toward Graf than Bergen-Hohne up in the north.

Geoff

#13: Re: Recovered history Author: WimD.Location: The Netherlands PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 5:22 pm
    ----
[i]To me, it It looks like MAYBE there is an Edelweiss logo on the back of the "gut truck" at the railhead ... maybe ... if true, that would point more toward Graf than Bergen-Hohne up in the north.

Geoff[/quote]

[/i]

Hi,

An Edelweiss logo or a palm tree (with text "Bali")?

Regards,
Wim.

#14: Re: Recovered history Author: C_Sherman PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2014 2:01 am
    ----
- WimD.
4D Co, 3/37AR conducted for tank gunnery in Germany, about 1959. These are M48A1s that still have the tensioning idler at the rear, and with the jettisonable fuel racks on the back. We believe that Dad was a Platoon Leader with D Co. at the time. 3/37AR was based in Schweinfurt, so this is most likely a range Grafenwoehr, although Dad has talked about using ranges at Hoehn or something like that.

Chuck

Hi Chuck,

I think your father was talking about Hohne, from the Bergen-Hohne Training area: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/...ining_Area

It is the largest training area in Germany.

Regards,
Wim.[/quote]

I think you are right. We found a bunch more slides(!), and some of them had notes on them. One of the series at the range is labelled "Bergen 1960", which fits.

C

-> AFV News Discussion Board