McClain Museum/HMAM - Anderson, IN - M551 AVLB + Gallery
-> AFV News Discussion Board

#1: McClain Museum/HMAM - Anderson, IN - M551 AVLB + Gallery Author: vagabondLocation: Constantly moving across US PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2014 9:24 pm
    ----
Hi All,

We’ve added gallery of photos of the Historical Military Armor Museum (formerly known as the McClain Military Museum) in Anderson, IN. The museum has a very interesting collection of vehicles and artifacts including an AFV Mystical Unicorn - the M551 AVLB (star of ‘Die Hard 2’) as well as an M60A2 Dozer, a 1918 Buckeye Trundaar Tractor and some other cool stuff. It is a very challenging shoot as the variety of light sources leads to many weird color casts and a tripod is a must!

Regarding AFV Registry entries for the museum, I asked about the Stuart tanks and M1917 and were told that they were long gone down to FL. I understood that it had something to do with the Knight collection. I did get some SN/RN info and the captions in the gallery reflect the information.

www.vgbimages.com/AFV-...um/n-RdM8d

#2: Re: McClain Museum/HMAM - Anderson, IN - M551 AVLB + Gallery Author: recon4ww2Location: western Ohio PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2014 2:16 am
    ----
When were you last there? I thought most if not all of the tanks went to Florida.

Mike Haines

#3: Re: McClain Museum/HMAM - Anderson, IN - M551 AVLB + Gallery Author: Doug_KibbeyLocation: The Great Satan PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2014 3:58 am
    ----
Is the Unicorn real? (by which I mean, an original functioning unit). I ask because I had some screen captures (previously posted here) from the film and the "bridge" was quite clearly inverted as deployed and shown in the movie (of course, could just be a prop and the technical theater guys didn't grasp the mechanics of AVLB's). Also, the shot of it going down the street didn't look as "complete" as this one does (also possibly the magic of Hollywood).

We had AVLB with 2/11 ACR in VN, but they were M48 based, though we operated Sheridans and ACAV's. I've never seen an M551 AVLB "real world".

#4: Re: McClain Museum/HMAM - Anderson, IN - M551 AVLB + Gallery Author: vagabondLocation: Constantly moving across US PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2014 4:05 pm
    ----
Mike - we were there on 6/5/13. I asked about the other AFVs listed in the register and was told that they were taken down to FL some time ago. For sure the Stuarts and the gent I spoke with said they never had an M1917.

Doug - excellent question, and one I hadn't considered. I assumed that it was a real vehicle. It sure looked like the real deal. If it isn't - then who did all the work to create it? I don't think the producers of DH2 would go to the lengths necessary to mock it up - but I can't claim to understand producers. Smile I didn't study the vehicle closely as we were doing our usual run and gun not-enough-time shoot, but the hydraulic lines (or whatever) and everything that I've seen on M48 and M60 AVLBs appeared to be present and looked functional.

I sent an email to the contact email I was given by John Krieg at the museum. I'll let you know if I hear back from him.

Just went and reread the original thread:
www.com-central.net/in...t=die+hard

I gathered from that thread that there was one prototype M551 AVLB built and I remember John K referring to the tank as a prototype.

#5: Re: McClain Museum/HMAM - Anderson, IN - M551 AVLB + Gallery Author: armyjunk2 PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2014 8:54 pm
    ----
What about this M1917?? Notice hooks aft of turret It was at Anderson, had a fake gun or something, not much of a pic....but its on the net. I've been up there a few times very dark inside.

#6: Re: McClain Museum/HMAM - Anderson, IN - M551 AVLB + Gallery Author: Doug_KibbeyLocation: The Great Satan PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2014 10:19 pm
    ----
- vagabond

Doug - excellent question, and one I hadn't considered. I assumed that it was a real vehicle. It sure looked like the real deal. If it isn't - then who did all the work to create it? I don't think the producers of DH2 would go to the lengths necessary to mock it up - but I can't claim to understand producers. Smile I didn't study the vehicle closely as we were doing our usual run and gun not-enough-time shoot, but the hydraulic lines (or whatever) and everything that I've seen on M48 and M60 AVLBs appeared to be present and looked functional.

I sent an email to the contact email I was given by John Krieg at the museum. I'll let you know if I hear back from him.

Just went and reread the original thread:
www.com-central.net/in...t=die+hard

I gathered from that thread that there was one prototype M551 AVLB built and I remember John K referring to the tank as a prototype.

As Jim pointed out in the old thread, a real one was certainly built, though I don't believe it (or any others that might have been built) saw actual service. Some M113 based bridge layers definitely saw limited service, but their utility had to be limited to wheeled and/or light armored vehicles. I don't believe an M113 or Sheridan could have launched a bridge that would have supported a 50+ ton vehicle more than once or twice, if that. Probably why you rarely see pictures of them in service.

#7: Re: McClain Museum/HMAM - Anderson, IN - M551 AVLB + Gallery Author: vagabondLocation: Constantly moving across US PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2014 11:42 pm
    ----
Well, so much for never having an M1917! Thanks AJ2! Laughing

Yep, the museum was very challengingly lit - even setting custom white balances and shooting on a tripod. L had to crank the ISO sky high to get decent shutter speeds on the high angle shots. The different lights all create very weird color shifts. Tough shoot for sure.

-> AFV News Discussion Board