M114 Robotic
-> AFV News Discussion Board

#1: M114 Robotic Author: Rick_EshlemanLocation: Lewes, Delaware, USA PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2015 11:11 pm
    ----
Anyone know where this prototype got to?

#2: Re: M114 Robotic Author: Geoff_walden PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2015 4:51 pm
    ----
We blew one of them up on the range at Fort Knox in the spring of 1982. "We" being the M1 New Equipment Training Team. There was a demonstration of how accurate the new M1 was. I think this MIGHT have been on Cedar Creek Range, but not sure. There were two M60A3s and an M1 (still XM1 at that time) on the firing line, and a robotic M114 and M48 came out of the woodline, oh ... it wasn't at a great range ... something around 1200-1600 meters.

The M60A3s were both allowed to fire one round each before the M1 could fire. I don't know if they missed on purpose, but I didn't see either M60A3 hit the targets. As soon as the second M60A3 fired, the M1 opened up and the M114 blew up and caught fire (it was really cool! Smile

The robotic M48, on the other hand, kept coming until it was something like 800 meters away. It took several rounds from the M1 and the M60A3s to stop it.

As I recall, this robotic M114 didn't have the part sticking up from the hatch, but it might have. We only saw it at the farthest range, and then it was a flaming hulk and later a puddle of melted metal.

OK, so much for a story from the good ol' days ... I have no idea what became of this USMC prototype.

#3: Re: M114 Robotic Author: Rick_EshlemanLocation: Lewes, Delaware, USA PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2015 6:48 pm
    ----
Geoff,
Thanks for the information! Probably this prototype had the same fate as the Army version. Unless someone else had seen the USMC vehicle elsewhere. Rick

-> AFV News Discussion Board