Time for a George Bradford update
Go to page 1, 2  Next  :| |:
-> AFV News Discussion Board

#1: Time for a George Bradford update Author: TerryStibalLocation: Pensacola FL PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2015 4:01 pm
    ----
I subscribed to George's efforts for many years, and was sad (but understanding) when I heard of the printed version of the newsletter. Since that time, I've only seen a few mentions of what George is up to these days.
Could someone familiar with his condition and situation provide an update for those of us who care?

#2: Re: Time for a George Bradford update Author: Doug_KibbeyLocation: The Great Satan PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2015 4:51 am
    ----
George has been MIA for some time. Had seen a few posts on other (generally WWII and/or vintage modelling forums) up until the last year or so. They were rarities. Any info is welcome.

#3: Re: Time for a George Bradford update Author: toadmanstankpictures PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2015 7:15 am
    ----
George posted on a 1/48 scale armor modeling forum about 3 weeks ago.

#4: Re: Time for a George Bradford update Author: Kurt_Laughlin PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2015 8:29 pm
    ----
He posted on Missing-Lynx at noon 1/24/05.

KL

#5: Re: Time for a George Bradford update Author: JWB2 PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2015 8:45 am
    ----
Kurt do you mean 1/24/15 ?

#6: Re: Time for a George Bradford update Author: Kurt_Laughlin PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2015 5:19 pm
    ----
Maybe . . .

KL

#7: Re: Time for a George Bradford update Author: George_BradfordLocation: Cambridge, Ontario PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2015 2:06 pm
    ----
I'm out here ... keeping an eye on you guys.

As for health, I'm feeling fine these days and on medications like everyone else my age (82). I also have an ICD implant which is a pacer backed up by a defibrillator charge, so I'm gonna be hard to kill on most days!!

I look at all the technical stuff I have around me these days and then look back at the 70's when I typed articles on a regular carbon tape typewriter. Why the hell didn't they invent the desktop computer BEFORE the typewriter ... would have made things much easier for me back then. All I know is that we covered a hell of a lotta ground back then and got the ball rolling for a number of armour authors and researchers. It has just kept getting better, to the point where we almost laugh at some of the early questions we asked. Time marches on.

Good of you guys to think of me.

George Bradford (gbradford777 AT gmail.com)

#8: Re: Time for a George Bradford update Author: Doug_KibbeyLocation: The Great Satan PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2015 11:18 pm
    ----
Great to hear from you George...don't be a stranger!

#9: Re: Time for a George Bradford update Author: Walter_Sobchak PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2015 10:38 pm
    ----
Mr. Bradford was kind enough to write up a history of the AFV News for my website. I'm sure this will be a walk down memory lane for some of the regulars here. He also provided a list of some of the writers who started out at AFV news. It's an impressive list! http://tankandafvnews.com/2015/02/19/the-history-of-afv-news-by-george-bradford/

#10: Re: Time for a George Bradford update Author: bsmartLocation: Central Maryland PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2015 3:55 am
    ----
- Walter_Sobchak
Mr. Bradford was kind enough to write up a history of the AFV News for my website. I'm sure this will be a walk down memory lane for some of the regulars here. He also provided a list of some of the writers who started out at AFV news. It's an impressive list! http://tankandafvnews.com/2015/02/19/the-history-of-afv-news-by-george-bradford/

I wonder if we could talk George into writing up a second part of the history talking about the early days of this discussion group.

#11: Re: Time for a George Bradford update Author: Doug_KibbeyLocation: The Great Satan PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2015 5:18 am
    ----
- Walter_Sobchak

Jeezus, he was publishing AFV News well before I even entered the service! Shocked

#12: Re: Time for a George Bradford update Author: Geoff_walden PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2015 5:21 pm
    ----
Hi George, great to hear from you!

#13: Re: Time for a George Bradford update Author: TimRoyallLocation: Holland PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2015 9:04 am
    ----
Yes, many best wishes! I bought this book of George's back in 1970 and it triggered a lifelong interest in military vehicles including nearly 20 years in the British Army. I also tried collecting a 1/76 scale model of all the vehicles in the book and probably got up to around 70% of them!

I was also fortunate to meet H L Doyle last year at Militracks. I still look at the book to this day Smile

#14: Re: I am 82 today!! ... Author: George_BradfordLocation: Cambridge, Ontario PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2015 3:41 pm
    ----
Hi Tim;
Today (Feb.23) is my birthday (82), and it was great to hear that my little "ARMORED VEHICLES" booklet actually made a difference over the years. It is long gone now, but they still seem to pop up for sale on the internet. I still have a few of the early version here, but it was good to see a pic show up of our Bellona version with the striped cover. Great memories.

George Bradford

#15: Re: Time for a George Bradford update Author: TimRoyallLocation: Holland PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2015 3:49 pm
    ----
Wow, Happy Birthday George and thanks for introducing me to a hobby and career that's taken me all over the world and given me and my family endless hours of fun!

-> AFV News Discussion Board