Rims on a M5 3" Anti tank gun
-> Artillery Forum

#1: Rims on a M5 3" Anti tank gun Author: tankdriverLocation: Memphis, TN PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2015 1:59 am
    ----
Does ANYBODY know what rims were used on the 3" anti tank gun? I want to put new military ND tires on mine. I have one ND and one street tires on it now. They are both foam filled and will have to be cut off a piece at a time. The cost for that is rather high.

Any information is appreciated.

#2: Re: Rims on a M5 3" Anti tank gun Author: tankdriverLocation: Memphis, TN PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2015 3:05 am
    ----
Here is a little better photo of the rim.

#3: Re: Rims on a M5 3" Anti tank gun Author: tankdriverLocation: Memphis, TN PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2015 3:42 am
    ----
Here is a shot of the rim. Is this a CCKW rim?

#4: Re: Rims on a M5 3" Anti tank gun Author: Kurt_Laughlin PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2015 3:53 am
    ----
The 9.00 - 20 combat tires used on the M6 carriage were mounted on the 6.00 CT divided combat rim. This had a 5-3/4 dish, a 6-7/16 bore, and an 8-3/4 bolt circle. The ancillary equipment was a TR 175A valve (assuming you aren't using beadlocks); BW2 bridge washer; HN1 hex nut; and VC2 valve cap

The M6 carriage used these rims regardless of the tread style. (Combat designates the tire construction only.) They are not CCKW truck wheels.

I don't know about the foam-filling process, but why can't you disassemble the wheel, make one or two radial cuts through the tire, and take the tire off?

KL

#5: Re: Rims on a M5 3" Anti tank gun Author: tankdriverLocation: Memphis, TN PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2015 9:10 pm
    ----
They cut the tire open, no foam, but they removed all the bolts out of the ring and can not get it off. It is locked on for some reason, rust or something.

-> Artillery Forum