Refresher for Stoopy....
-> JG300 Wild Sau Gruppe Public Forum

#1: Refresher for Stoopy.... Author: JG300-AscoutLocation: Cyberspace PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2015 2:24 am
    ----
Refresher Doobs...

www.youtube.com/watch?v=J95mk1mOr2c

" In 1996, Ukiah was ranked the #1 best small town to live in California and the sixth-best place to live in the United States.[8] The population was 16,075 at the 2010 census."

Of course, for every Doobie Bros. moment, there was also a period where Jim Jones his eccentric church called Ukiah home.

"From 1965 - 1974, Jim Jones developed the congregation of his Peoples Temple in nearby Redwood Valley.[13][14] Many of these people accompanied him to South America, where they participated in the mass suicide at his colony of Jonestown in 1978"

#2: Re: Refresher for Stoopy.... Author: JG300-StoopyLocation: Group W bench PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2015 11:32 am
    ----
Ascout! Thanks for posting the above refresher!

Side note - I am ticked with myself for not seeing this post until now, even though I'm on the site daily. My apologies!

I'd never heard the Doobie Bros tune but the pictures definitely bring back memories. I am curious what made Ukiah score so high on the list... my recollection is you could either work in a lumber yard or a health food store, but that was in the next town north where we lived (Willits) in the early-mid 70's and I s'pose things have picked up since then - leastways I hope so! :). Surprised

I recall the Jim Jones thing too and no one seemed surprised about the local origins. Lotta fringe folks up there. Once I got over the unique sight of seeing my first hippie family literally living in a VW bus with the psychedelic paint scheme - as cliched as it sounds - living in Willits was an interesting experience and I've no doubt it is still like that, only just a few blocks farther off of Main street now. They're all over the place - and we also had extremely large groups of bikers (likely HA's) rolling through town every now and again - hundreds. Quite a sight.

Looking back it was a very unique experience and hence, the reason for all the screenshots of the area and even a psychedelic tie-dye-inspired repaint job on my favorite plane showing up a few days ago. Wink

Ukiah was our high school rival so it's difficult for me to give 'em much respect Smile but it was a cool town, and when we needed to purchase items that the grocery store, the pharmacy, or the Happy Belly Food Store couldn't provide, it's where we "went into town". That being said I do believe a repaint in honor of the old Alma Mater is in order just to fly the Wolverine colors again.

Again, thanks very much for posting!

-> JG300 Wild Sau Gruppe Public Forum