Griffith, IN - M4A1(76) HVSS Gallery
-> AFV News Discussion Board

#1: Griffith, IN - M4A1(76) HVSS Gallery Author: vagabondLocation: Constantly moving across US PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2015 10:05 pm
    ----
Hi All,

We’ve added a gallery of photos of the M4A1(76) HVSS on display in Central Park in Griffith, IN. The AFV Register didn’t have an SN listed, so I checked all the usual spots and found nothing. Near the right tow lug that was broken off, there were some numbers stamped into the rear plate - see images below. Couldn’t find any other numbers.

The plaque near the tank claims it was built late war at Pacific Car & Foundry. Did PC&F build large hatch M4A1’s?

www.vgbimages.com/AFV-...6/n-WFcgT3

#2: Re: Griffith, IN - M4A1(76) HVSS Gallery Author: the_shadockLocation: Normandy, France PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2015 6:33 am
    ----
PCF only built small hatch tanks.. This one has been built by Pressed Steel Car.

P-O

#3: Re: Griffith, IN - M4A1(76) HVSS Gallery Author: the_shadockLocation: Normandy, France PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2015 6:41 am
    ----
The M4A1(76) HVSS in Griffith should have "build number" 1-1403 stamped in the rear, which makes it one of the last Shermans produced. I think that it has been produced in June or July, 1945.

On a large hatch M4A1, you could find the build number on either side, there :

P-O

#4: Re: Griffith, IN - M4A1(76) HVSS Gallery Author: vagabondLocation: Constantly moving across US PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2015 2:31 pm
    ----
Thanks P-O!

I knew you'd know!

We've made plans to head back to that area of IN to document the Crown Point, IN Sherman and the museum, so we'll stop by Griffith and get close up photos of the area in your photo to try and find the "build number."

If you are correct and the Griffith Sherman was one of the last built, then that means we'll have managed to see close to the book ends of Sherman production - the Ford built M4A3(75) SN 2662 in South Boardman, MI as earliest example preserved in the US and the Griffith as one of the latest. My inner geek LOVES that idea! LOL!!

Actually, as I'm thinking about it, is the M4A1 in Chino, CA older than the South Boardman tank?

Now we've got to get over to the UK to see "Michael" Wink

#5: Re: Griffith, IN - M4A1(76) HVSS Gallery Author: the_shadockLocation: Normandy, France PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2015 4:47 pm
    ----
The PSC M4A1 located in Chino was probably built in January or February, 1943.

The Ford built M4A3(75) SN 2662 was built in August, 1942.
The PSC M4A1 located at VMMV, Nokesville, was also built in August, 1942.

I think that these two are the oldest Shermans preserved in the USA.

P-O

#6: Re: Griffith, IN - M4A1(76) HVSS Gallery Author: Kurt_Laughlin PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2015 7:13 pm
    ----
The Griffith tank is approximately SN 71729 with a "1-1403" hull stamping. If you look at the left rear side of the upper hull the stamping is approximately 12 inches to the rear of the last spare track block or directly in line with the rear leg of the hull lifting ring.

The Crown point tank is approximately SN 68021 with a "1-323" mark. (That's going by the photo. It was clearer in person.)

KL

#7: Re: Griffith, IN - M4A1(76) HVSS Gallery Author: vagabondLocation: Constantly moving across US PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2015 2:11 am
    ----
Thanks P-O and Kurt -

When we make it down there again, I'll make sure and look in the right spots on both Shermans.

#8: Re: Griffith, IN - M4A1(76) HVSS Gallery Author: the_shadockLocation: Normandy, France PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2015 6:34 am
    ----
- vagabond
If you are correct and the Griffith Sherman was one of the last built

well, as far as I know, the M4A1(76) HVSS in Brownstown, IN, has a build number 1-1464, which is the higher known (to me) in the USA.

P-O

#9: Re: Griffith, IN - M4A1(76) HVSS Gallery Author: vagabondLocation: Constantly moving across US PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2015 1:40 pm
    ----
I'll add the Brownstone, IN Sherman to my must see list!

Thanks

-> AFV News Discussion Board