75mm HE AT ammunition during WW2
-> AFV News Discussion Board

#1: 75mm HE AT ammunition during WW2 Author: the_shadockLocation: Normandy, France PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2015 7:16 pm
    ----
Hello,

do somebody know why we can't find any HE AT ammunition in the "75mm gun" category, and that the only existing model is listed with 75mm Howitzers ammos?
(75 mm How Shell semi fixed HE AT M66)

thanks

Pierre-Olivier

#2: Re: 75mm HE AT ammunition during WW2 Author: Pzkpfw-e PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2015 7:43 pm
    ----
The Pak 97/38 used a HEAT round.
I guess the lack of a HEAT round for US 75mm guns, reflected the doctrine that 75mm gun tanks, shouldn't be used in an antitank role?

#3: Re: 75mm HE AT ammunition during WW2 Author: the_shadockLocation: Normandy, France PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2015 8:20 pm
    ----
yes that's also what I think..

#4: Re: 75mm HE AT ammunition during WW2 Author: clausb PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2015 1:32 pm
    ----
- Pzkpfw-e
The Pak 97/38 used a HEAT round.
I guess the lack of a HEAT round for US 75mm guns, reflected the doctrine that 75mm gun tanks, shouldn't be used in an antitank role?

Doesn't really make sense as they had several different other types of armour piercing ammunition?

The M66 was fired at a mere 300 m/s, which would probably make it rather inaccurate for anti-tank work. Penetration was about 85mm, which was better than standard AP, but not enough to deal effectively with Panthers and Tigers in situations where the standard AP could'nt do the job.

If US HEAT was anything like the German variety, it did not perform well at anything other than ideal conditions either.

So probably not worth the trouble. Particularily as more and more US tanks were made with larger guns at the time HEAT became available (assuming 1944-45?).

#5: Re: 75mm HE AT ammunition during WW2 Author: JWB2 PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2015 7:43 pm
    ----
What clausb wrote. HEAT of the era was less effective than solid shot from high velocity guns. But for 75mm mountain guns solid shot was useless in the AT roll. HEAT rounds were not terribly effective but were better than nothing. Issuing HEAT was perhaps more for psychology than utility.

-> AFV News Discussion Board