Clock will Not keep time or date
-> Hardware

#1: Clock will Not keep time or date Author: Shadow_HomfixrLocation: Fort Walton Beach, FL-USA PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2015 12:48 am
    ----
It is a laptop HP G72B62US. Specs here if needed:

support.hp.com/us-en/p...c02535874/

I purchased 2 of these new a few years back and the one I have is running fine. The other one I gave to my Mother for her FaceBook games and other various games. About 6 months ago she informed that her clock would not keep the correct date or time and would just disconnect her from the wireless network right in the middle of one of her games. She would have to reboot the laptop to re-connect to the network. I research everything I could find which wasn't much. I have change how the clock gets it's time and date numerous times, even changed the registry but nothing seems to work. I even uninstalled the network card and re-installed it.

Since I do not play games on my laptop I did upgrade to Windows 10 and so far no problems with this laptop. I thought maybe upgrading my mother's to 10 might fix the problem but did not! I feel maybe fixing the clock might fix the network problem but not real sure.

All help is appreciated as I am tired of hearing how it kicks her off the net all the time Laughing !!!!!

#2: Re: Clock will Not keep time or date Author: JG300-StoopyLocation: Group W bench PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2015 10:25 am
    ----
You have two different symptoms which are usually unrelated. The clock not keeping time is typically caused by the internal CMOS battery needing replacement (at least in desktop rigs). Its difficult to see how that could cause a network disconnect mid-session, unless the system is struggling with larger issues possibly related to power. Is this laptop plugged in all the time? If so, the regular battery is seldom or never cycled, and can loose its ability to keep a charge, possibly impacting stability if it gets really bad. Since you have two of these laptops it would be interesting to swap batteries amd see if the problem remains or follows.

Also assuming you've deep scanned the system for malware and rootkits.

Good luck!

#3: Re: Clock will Not keep time or date Author: Shadow_HomfixrLocation: Fort Walton Beach, FL-USA PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2015 3:31 pm
    ----
Thnx Stoopy. I will try switching batteries and yes she keeps it plugged in all the time. Might just be the CMOS battery but wouldn't that battery cause other issues beside the clock? That is easy enough to replace on a desktop and should be almost as easy on the laptop.

I have used MalwareBytes, Iobit Malware, Iobit Advanced System Care, Ad-Aware and deep scanned it with AVG antivirus. All came back clean.

#4: Re: Clock will Not keep time or date Author: Shadow_HomfixrLocation: Fort Walton Beach, FL-USA PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2015 4:15 am
    ----
I am still waiting to see my mom to try the things in the previous post. Hopefully next weekend as she lives with my sister about an hour from me. In the meantime is there anything else that could cause these problems? Thnx!

#5: Re: Clock will Not keep time or date Author: Shadow_HomfixrLocation: Fort Walton Beach, FL-USA PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2015 2:28 am
    ----
Thnx again Stoopy! Seems that the CMOS battery fixed the clock/date thing. Of course it was a special order battery. I will not know if the dropping the network thing is still a problem untill the next time my Mom comes to stay with me. If not, I will tackle that problem then! Wink

-> Hardware