Comet Tank in Cuba
-> AFV News Discussion Board

#1: Comet Tank in Cuba Author: Scott_TaylorLocation: London, Ontario PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2015 5:55 pm
    ----
The video says it's a Sherman, but obviously it's an ex-Cuban Comet.

www.nbcnews.com/video/...5749059925

I think the serial is 3642? All things considered, it looks like it's in pretty good shape. Has anybody seen this tank? Is it on any lists of survivors?

Cheers,

Scott

#2: Re: Comet Tank in Cuba Author: TimRoyallLocation: Holland PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2015 12:45 pm
    ----
Amazing, how did that get there??

#3: Re: Comet Tank in Cuba Author: Pzkpfw-e PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2015 4:36 pm
    ----
Cuba used Sea Furies, ex FAA FB11s & T20s in 1958.

Here we go,
www.urrib2000.narod.ru...es1-e.html
"At least 15 british Cruiser tanks A34 Comet were bought for Batista after the American embargo, and they arrived at the same end of the war, in December of 1958, being able to participate in the Santa Clara Battle. They were scraped when arrival the soviet armor. Long time the last Comet was stationed in the wall of the castle of the Punta, at the Havana coast, defending the entrance of the Havana Bay, whithout some mechanisms and forgot, until was retreat in 1986."

#4: Re: Comet Tank in Cuba Author: TimRoyallLocation: Holland PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2015 10:21 am
    ----
Thanks, interesting. I'm going to have to read up on this bit of history. So did the UK sell tanks to be potentially used against America, or did they come via a third party?

#5: Re: Comet Tank in Cuba Author: JG300-AscoutLocation: Cyberspace PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2015 5:20 pm
    ----
- Pzkpfw-e
Cuba used Sea Furies, ex FAA FB11s & T20s in 1958.

It was a couple of Sea Furies (and T-33's) that inflicted so much havoc at the bahia de cochinos, particularly the Houston.

#6: Re: Comet Tank in Cuba Author: silviop15 PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2015 3:07 am
    ----
I dobut it got their after the Commies took over. It was probably sold before Fidel came to power.

-> AFV News Discussion Board