T114/M114 Serial Number locations
Go to page 1, 2  Next  :| |:
-> AFV News Discussion Board

#1: T114/M114 Serial Number locations Author: silviop15 PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2016 10:29 pm
    ----
After looking over every thread in the AFV forum I noticed that M114 serial locations come up often, s I checked ours out.

Our vehicle is a T114 (pre-standardized M114) made in Jan 1963, serial number 180.

Looking at the back of the vehicle, on the left side, under the lifting point at the top of the hull, "180" is stamped.

Inside, behind the dataplate I found "180' stamped twice. Hope this helps

However, he is where I am stumped. Looking at the front of the hull, on the right under the light guard, there is
12T615
AO15

What are these numbers? Cast numbers? Manufacture code?

Thanks

#2: Re: T114/M114 Serial Number locations Author: bsmartLocation: Central Maryland PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2016 3:11 pm
    ----
Is there a number stamped under the right rear lifting point? Is there a serial number stamped on the Data Plate?

On several vehicles the numbers under the lift points are different on the two sides which is part of the reason for the discussion. There are very few M114s that anyone has had a chance to compare stamped numbers with data plate inside the vehicle.

My guess would be that the 12T615 would be the registration number. It appears to be in the same format that I have seen on M-48s and early M-60s of the same era

#3: Re: T114/M114 Serial Number locations Author: silviop15 PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2016 4:44 pm
    ----
Again, yes, the serial number was stamped twice behind the dataplate.

Yes, 12T615 is the registration number, did not realized it at the time. javascript:emoticon('post','message',':roll:')

I think I only saw it on the left side. I will check again. Any idea what A015 is?

Thanks.

#4: Re: T114/M114 Serial Number locations Author: vagabondLocation: Constantly moving across US PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2016 11:33 pm
    ----
So, based on silviop15's post, the number stamped on the left side under the lifting eye of an M114 likely corresponds to the serial number of the vehicle. Great!! I can finally label my M114s with SN info.

Would that be the Manufacturer’s SN or the Ordnance SN?

Does the number stamped under the RIGHT lifting eye indicate a different departmental SN like we see on the plates on the rear of M41s and M42s - wherein the Ordnance SN is the upper left and the upper right is the Manufacturer’s SN - as in Dontos’ 2011 post titled Modification Data Plate - answers found ?

Dontos' post quoted here:

“The way I understand this is the upper left corner is the "Ordnance serial number" and the upper right corner is the "Manufacturer's serial number".

On the M42 'Duster', that has now been shipped to Ft Benning, I had matched the SN on the upper right with the SN stamped on the vehicle data plate in the drivers compartment. That would be the manufacturer's SN.”

#5: Re: T114/M114 Serial Number locations Author: silviop15 PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2016 12:20 am
    ----
I do not remember ANYTHING being stamped under the (right) rear lifting eye, I will have to look.

Last edited by silviop15 on Thu Jan 21, 2016 3:41 am; edited 1 time in total

#6: Re: T114/M114 Serial Number locations Author: vagabondLocation: Constantly moving across US PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2016 5:11 am
    ----
Yes, I should have been clearer - I'm asking about the REAR of the M114.

These photos from Fort Carson of one of the M114s show what I'm talking about. REAR of the M114 under the lifting eye. First photo shows the RIGHT and the second the LEFT. The two numbers NEVER match and it flummoxes me.

Last edited by vagabond on Wed Jan 27, 2016 2:18 am; edited 1 time in total

#7: Re: T114/M114 Serial Number locations Author: bsmartLocation: Central Maryland PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2016 2:57 am
    ----
- silviop15
I do not remember ANYTHING being stamped under the rear lifting eye, I will have to look.

Wait a minute in your first post you said

"Looking at the back of the vehicle, on the left side, under the lifting point at the top of the hull, "180" is stamped. "

Vagabonds pictures describe it well. I will not say they never match. I seem to remember someone having an example where they did. But the general case is they do not match

Where is Mr M114 when you need him?

#8: Re: T114/M114 Serial Number locations Author: Doug_KibbeyLocation: The Great Satan PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2016 3:17 am
    ----
[quote="bsmart"]
- silviop15

He is recovering from a series of health issues. Might be some time before he checks in here, but I have heard from him on FB and he's improving.

#9: Re: T114/M114 Serial Number locations Author: silviop15 PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2016 3:42 am
    ----
- bsmart
- silviop15
I do not remember ANYTHING being stamped under the rear lifting eye, I will have to look.

Wait a minute in your first post you said

"Looking at the back of the vehicle, on the left side, under the lifting point at the top of the hull, "180" is stamped. "

Vagabonds pictures describe it well. I will not say they never match. I seem to remember someone having an example where they did. But the general case is they do not match

Yes I meant nothing under the right rear lifting eye, however i looked today and something was stamped. I was in a rush however, but did not write it downjavascript:emoticon('post','message',':x')

#10: Re: T114/M114 Serial Number locations Author: Roy_A_LingleLocation: El Paso & Ft Bliss, Texas PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2016 3:51 am
    ----
I am here thanks to Bob. Forgot my password.

The last thing I remember is no one had figured out what all those stamped numbers on the out side of the hull where for.

This is the first I have heard of a serial number under the data plate.

The M114 here at Ft. Bliss has a data plate, which I don't think they would let me remove.

Sorry Bob, I am no help with this one.

#11: Re: T114/M114 Serial Number locations Author: silviop15 PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2016 3:57 am
    ----
Welcome back Roy.

I heard about the Serial # under the dataplate on this forum, the post was from about 5-8 years ago.

Maybe if you told them it was for research purposes they may give in if you were to be under supervision. There is a museum in my area that allowed it.

#12: Re: T114/M114 Serial Number locations Author: Roy_A_LingleLocation: El Paso & Ft Bliss, Texas PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2016 4:01 am
    ----
That museum, is it a CMH Army museum or a civilian type?

#13: Re: T114/M114 Serial Number locations Author: silviop15 PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2016 4:12 am
    ----
One case was a VFW who had a "restored" M37, I think the other was the NJ ARNG museum. It was not me personally though who did it, it was a friend.

#14: Re: T114/M114 Serial Number locations Author: Doug_KibbeyLocation: The Great Satan PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2016 6:55 am
    ----
Welcome Back, Roy! Always a more interesting place when you're around. Wink

#15: Re: T114/M114 Serial Number locations Author: Roy_A_LingleLocation: El Paso & Ft Bliss, Texas PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2016 7:38 am
    ----
Hi Doug!

Thank you, nice to still be here!

-> AFV News Discussion Board