Wehrmacht Maultier tracks
-> AFV News Discussion Board

#1: Wehrmacht Maultier tracks Author: vw82 PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2016 12:08 pm
    ----
The Wehrmacht Maultier (Opel & Ford) and the Panzerwerfer 42 use running gear and tracks that look very similar to the British Universal Carrier/Bren Gun Carrier & Vickers Light Tank.
Did the Wehrmacht capture so many Carriers at Dunkerque from the retreating BEF in 1940 that they used them on their own vehicles OR did they just copy them and produce the tracks, etc themselves?

Added Later...The very good photo of the Vickers Light Tank in Samur prompted me to ask.

Last edited by vw82 on Sat Mar 26, 2016 11:42 pm; edited 1 time in total

#2: Re: Wehrmacht Maultier tracks Author: silviop15 PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2016 2:23 pm
    ----
They did use Bren Gun carriers for various roles. I know that it also had its own designation. There is a collector in the US who converted a Bren Gun carrier to a "Captured" Vehicle. He added a Panzerfaust mount and a few other things.

#3: Re: Wehrmacht Maultier tracks Author: Walter_Sobchak PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2016 1:48 am
    ----
From what I can gather, the Maultier was intended to use components from the track and suspension of the Panzer 1, which was very similar to the 1930's British Carden Lloyd designs. Since the Universal carrier also had its origins in the Carden Lloyd tankettes, that might explain the similarities between the Maultier and the Universal Carrier. Looking around for production figures for the Maultier online, it seems that a few thousand of the vehicle were made, which would suggest they were making original components for it rather than relying on captured parts. These are my best guesses.

#4: Re: Wehrmacht Maultier tracks Author: Pzkpfw-e PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2016 8:48 am
    ----
Several of the Maultiers on display have been restored using Universal or Loyd Carrier running gear.

#5: Re: Wehrmacht Maultier tracks Author: vw82 PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2016 9:19 pm
    ----
Several of the Maultiers on display have been restored using Universal or Loyd Carrier running gear.

Thank you all for the good imput & answers.
I guess that was my problem in that many of those one see's driving about have replacement running gear from those British vehicles.

Interesting vehicles to watch in action & moving about.

-> AFV News Discussion Board