Surviving M45 Pershing tanks?
-> AFV News Discussion Board

#1: Surviving M45 Pershing tanks? Author: silviop15 PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2016 5:56 pm
    ----
Here is an oddball I never heard of. An M26 Pershing but instead of the 90mm gun, it has a 105mm howitzer, it was standardized as the M45.

More info can be found here: worldoftanks.com/en/ne...hatch-m45/

So does anyone know if any of these survived? I checked Surviving Panzers and did not see anything in the M26 list. Maybe they were all converted to standard Pershings?

#2: Re: Surviving M45 Pershing tanks? Author: binder001 PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2016 1:35 pm
    ----
to my knowledge no M45's survived. A lot were ordered but only a modest number were built M45 came from a assessment from the European Theater of Operations, US Army (ETOUSA). During planning for the DDay landings the ETOUSA recommended that almost half of the tanks deployed be armed with 105mm howitzers versus high-velocity guns. That requirement affected tank production, even after the requirement was changed. ETOUSA's recommendations resulted in over production of the M4 and M4A3 with 105mm howitzers and also resulted in the M45 tank being produced. M45 didn't get overseas in WW2 (although they might have been used in the invasion of Japan). A few M45s went to Korea, mostly photographed with the 6th Tank Battalion.

#3: Re: Surviving M45 Pershing tanks? Author: silviop15 PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2016 4:53 pm
    ----
Interesting thanks.

-> AFV News Discussion Board