1918 French tanks at Saumur in full running order
-> AFV News Discussion Board

#1: 1918 French tanks at Saumur in full running order Author: Manu-MilitaryLocation: Right in the heart of the Chambois pocket PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 7:19 am
    ----
Hi,

Here's my HD video of this last week-end model show at Saumur's Tank Museum.

The unique opportunity to see for the first time in 99 years all the 3 French 1st world war tanks (but not only) in full running order at the same time.
1918 French tanks in full running order

#2: Re: 1918 French tanks at Saumur in full running order Author: Massimo_FotiLocation: Lugano, Switzerland PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 3:54 pm
    ----
I wasn't aware the Schneider is in running order too, nice!

Curious about what kind of engines they are using for Schneider and St. Chamond. Any idea of how much the mechanic is still original?

Do they plan to show them during Carrousel de Saumur?

Massimo

#3: Re: 1918 French tanks at Saumur in full running order Author: vagabondLocation: Constantly moving across US PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2018 1:31 am
    ----
How very cool! Thanks for shooting the footage and getting it posted!

#4: Re: 1918 French tanks at Saumur in full running order Author: Manu-MilitaryLocation: Right in the heart of the Chambois pocket PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2018 5:37 am
    ----
- Massimo_Foti
I wasn't aware the Schneider is in running order too, nice!

Curious about what kind of engines they are using for Schneider and St. Chamond. Any idea of how much the mechanic is still original?

Do they plan to show them during Carrousel de Saumur?

Massimo

The 2 Renault FT still run on their original engines as the Schneider tank does. See the inside photos in my FlickR album www.flickr.com/photos/...06162143/.

The Saint Chamond couldn't be restored with its original engine since it used an hybrid transmission : electric driven transmission with petrolengine.
The petrol engine was beyond repair and the museum staff didn't want to use the original 400V electric motors in a steel cage.
The decision was taken to entirely remove the 1917 transmission and to replace it with a brand new power pack.
The latter was made of a standard car engine giving electricity to 2 electric motors coming from an excavator.
This in order to respect the original hybrid transmission concept.

#5: Re: 1918 French tanks at Saumur in full running order Author: Massimo_FotiLocation: Lugano, Switzerland PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2018 6:18 am
    ----
Thanks for the valuable info.

Do you know anything about the Carrousel?

Massimo

#6: Re: 1918 French tanks at Saumur in full running order Author: Manu-MilitaryLocation: Right in the heart of the Chambois pocket PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2018 7:27 am
    ----
Since the organization doesn't have anything to do with the tank museum, you'd rather see this link
www.ot-saumur.fr/20-21...37981.html

-> AFV News Discussion Board