Google Earth
Go to page 1, 2  Next  :| |:
-> Officer's Club

#1: Google Earth Author: JG300-1BulletLocation: Odessa, Texas PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2005 9:56 pm
    ----
This is a pretty cool program. It's similar to World Wind from NASA. For me it easier to navigate. Here is the link. Give it a try.
earth.google.com/

One interesting place to visit is Davis Monthan AFB, Arizona........The Aircraft Boneyard..

#2: Re: Google Earth Author: Shadow_BshwackrLocation: Central Illinois, USA PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2005 6:15 am
    ----
That is cool!! Thanks Bullet!

#3: Re: Google Earth Author: JG300-StoopyLocation: Group W bench PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2005 6:35 am
    ----
It's outstanding. I had both NASA WorldWind and Google Earth installed for a while, and just uninstalled WorldWind last night. With Google Earth, I like how you can look up addresses or businesses under a local search and it'll take you right there. I have all the In-N-Out Burger locations in So-Cal mapped out....

You can also save locations into an XML file and send it to others. Here's a cool one I made the other day, just click the link and open it, then open the ZIP and double-click the file......it will launch Google Earth, then take you down right to a cool little bowl-shaped hillin San Bernardino where I used to fly R/C slope gliders with my old buds. Just imagine a glider scooting' around....
216.176.86.154/jg300/L...20Site.kmz

Someday, we'll see this integrated with a flight sim engine so you can fly around the terrain mapping with satellite image textures overlayed on it plus the 3D buildings like it has now (like it shows in Chicago). You can smell it coming, and how cool will that be?

#4: Re: Google Earth Author: SS_Harry PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2005 3:48 pm
    ----
Someday, we'll see this integrated with a flight sim engine

Nearly ... but not quite,

on simviation theres a neat little program that shows your fs2004 flight plan in google earth. I have both fs2004 and google earth but have i got round to downloading the program and trying it? of course not!l

here's a link (cos i'm good like that!), it's called flips and it's 5th from the bottom (at time of posting) ...

www.simviation.com/fs2...ities6.htm

#5: Re: Google Earth Author: JG300-StoopyLocation: Group W bench PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2005 6:37 pm
    ----
Freakin'.......well, Blow Me Down!!!!....THAT'S COOL!!!!!!

Here's the upcoming Com-Central Sunday flight in 3-D with Googel Earth!!! SS_Harry, this is a real gem, thanks for sharing!! Wow!

Looking east at the overall flight:

Looking north at the departure leg in Canuckistan:

Looking north at the arrival legs in what appears to be North-Pole-land:

#6: Re: Google Earth Author: SS_Harry PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2005 7:57 pm
    ----
Always a pleasure to share things .. I think i might get that downloaded now

#7: Re: Google Earth Author: JG300-1BulletLocation: Odessa, Texas PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2005 11:28 am
    ----
WOW! HOW COOL IS THAT!!

#8: Re: Google Earth Author: Uhu_FledermausLocation: Blaricum, The Netherlands ~GMT+1 PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2005 12:01 pm
    ----
Cool

this is absolutely frigging awesome !!

Thankx Harry for opening Pandora's box !! Wink

fled

#9: Re: Google Earth Author: JG300-StoopyLocation: Group W bench PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2005 12:07 pm
    ----
Better yet, once you convert the flight plan to a KML file for Google Earth, all anyone has to do after converting it, is make it available for others who have Google Earth but not the conversion tool.

Yeah, cool!

#10: Re: Google Earth Author: JG300-StoopyLocation: Group W bench PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2005 12:22 pm
    ----
TEST:

Here we go:

216.176.86.154/jg300/C...le_044.kmz

Open it (some kinda zipped file) , then double-click the "doc.kml" file and it should launch Google Earth and zoom down on the flight plan - anyone who wants to try it, let me know if it worked for ya, works for me.

#11: Re: Google Earth Author: SS_Harry PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2005 1:01 pm
    ----
That doesn't work Neutral

Errm, maybe it's cos it's a link direct to the document that browsers can read (probably ascii format), i'll try the save as and see if that works.

Yes i still dont have the little utility

*edit* that was easier than i thought.

Here's what you do, when the page of mumbojumbo opens in your browser goto "file>save as" then just save it as the file that it says it is anywhere (my docs maybe?). When it's saved (all of a second later) navigate to that file and double click it ... et voila, google earth opens up and zooms in on the flight plan

Wonderful what you can do with technology these days.

#12: Re: Google Earth Author: JG300-StoopyLocation: Group W bench PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2005 1:12 pm
    ----
- SS_Harry

Wonderful what you can do with technology these days.

LOL - yes it is, especially when we can abuse it for our own warped purposes! Hehheh!!

Hmm......good catch. Strangley for me it opened right up to GE. Well, we can fuss with it, glad the"Save As" feature works, nice thinkin'!

#13: Re: Google Earth Author: RAF92_WarhawkLocation: Houston, TX! PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2005 11:08 pm
    ----
hey guys, I zoomed in on ground zero in New York and I think I found a few people walking around...

#14: Re: Google Earth Author: RAF92_BattleHawkLocation: British Columbia, Canada PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2005 10:18 am
    ----
Looking north at the departure leg in Canuckistan:

did you just make a joke about canada? man thats almost as bad as when i was on ts with mustang and called it canadia(can-a-dee-ah).
Laughing

#15: Re: Google Earth Author: JG300-1BulletLocation: Odessa, Texas PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2005 10:58 am
    ----
- JG300-Stoopy
TEST:

Here we go:

216.176.86.154/jg300/C...le_044.kmz

Open it (some kinda zipped file) , then double-click the "doc.kml" file and it should launch Google Earth and zoom down on the flight plan - anyone who wants to try it, let me know if it worked for ya, works for me.

Worked OK for me!! This is cool

-> Officer's Club