Issues installing MSFS2004
-> FS2004

#1: Issues installing MSFS2004 Author: venom PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2005 7:50 am
    ----
Hello all,

I run to you looking for some help...

I reformatted my computer, and when installing FS2004, I get all the way to 90%, then the installation stalls and I get an error that the file world.cab is in use.

I stopped Antivirus and all other software prior to install, and nothing.

If I ignore the error, I get no cities. All airports are there, but in the middle of nowhere. Not one building is in sight.

I contacted "support" at MicroSux, but they are useless... I'm thinking I have a bad CD, but since the error poinst to world.cab in C drive, I'm not so sure...

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

BTW, This is a fresh install, no add ons yet.

#2: Re: Issues installing MSFS2004 Author: JG300-StoopyLocation: Group W bench PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2005 8:00 am
    ----
Hmmm. Saw another thread on this a while back - one person reported it as a conflict with Norton AntiVirus, but the other person did indeed have a bad CD and getting it replaced was the trick:

forums.frugalsworld.co...hp?t=49193

#3: Re: Issues installing MSFS2004 Author: venom PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2005 8:29 am
    ----
Thanks Stoopy,

That post gave me another idea... I'll try to reinstall from another CD Drive... I upgraded to a DVD Drive with the reformatting...

Otherwise... I think I'll have to get a replacement disk Evil or Very Mad

Thanks again!

#4: Re: Issues installing MSFS2004 Author: JG300-StoopyLocation: Group W bench PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2005 8:52 am
    ----
Sure thing - and that's a great idea of going with the other drive. Best o'luck!

#5: Re: Issues installing MSFS2004 Author: SS_Harry PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2005 10:58 am
    ----
Someone had this exact same problem at another community that i haunt.

He solved the problem (or so it would seem) by cleaning cd 4!!!

Strange but true.

#6: Re: Issues installing MSFS2004 Author: venom PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2005 1:53 pm
    ----
^

I tried cleaning the CD ... no luck... Rolling Eyes

I'll let you know if the second Drive worked... The CD doesn't seem scratched...

#7: Re: Issues installing MSFS2004 Author: venom PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2005 8:02 am
    ----
Interesting Update...

I tried reinstalling from another CD Drive, didn't work.

After finishing the installation, I explored the CD and opened the file world.cab

I saw the files with the path included there, so I selected them, and extracted to their respective folders.

After that, I started the sim, and started a flight out of Seattle. The city is there. I did get an error that the file did not exist, so I'll review the files and paths that I extracted.

I'll also try some other cities and see what's the deal there.

I guess this will work until M$ sends my replacement cd.

-> FS2004