Another new contest? Google Earth Aircraft Search
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next  :| |:
-> Officer's Club

#16: Re: Another new contest? Google Earth Aircraft Search Author: Combat PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2005 9:42 pm
    ----
i worked on Tonopah Test Range in 1984 to 1986, which is next door to Area 51

I've been trying to find Tonopah...I didn't know Area51 was there too.

Is this Tonopah? I don't think it is. I understand Tonopah is within pretty close proximity to Nellis AFB. I have been wondering if this is it:

Look at the arrow. It's pointing to an aircraft that is actually out of the bunkers. Real hard to see so look hard!
[img]http://www.com-central.net/modules/coppermine/albums/userpics/10031/normal_tonopah%20aircraft%7E0.jpg[/img]

AND STOOPY! I THINK I GOT A PLANE IN THE AIR HERE. FLYING OVER THE SAME BUNKERS IN THE PICS ABOVE.

as far as that Constellation.....I am searching! Anyone find a Concorde and I'll send some French Toast. Bet there is a retired Concorde somewhere!

#17: Re: Another new contest? Google Earth Aircraft Search Author: XcalibeR PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2005 9:48 pm
    ----
- Combat
No link needed X. What you need to do is save it as a jpeg. Then Go to "Photo Galery" under the "Search" heading in the Com-Central Menu to the left of your screen. After you start your album just right click on the pic, hit properties and copy paste the link to the jpeg in between [img][/img] and your pic will be here.

Yep, that's the one. And yeah, I know how to put up a jpg, it's just that I'm too lazy to do it that way Mr. Green I'd rather have a link to take you right to it. I know there is a way, I just havn't found it yet.

#18: Re: Another new contest? Google Earth Aircraft Search Author: RCAF_WingnutLocation: Omaha, Ne. PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2005 1:59 am
    ----
No, That is not Tonopah. If you look closely, especially in the last photo, you can see 5 underground structures. Those are storage bunkers for munitions. What you are looking at is the Nellis AFB bomb dump. That air plane is outside of the fence line of one of 2 different areas. You can see 2 parallel lines behined it. That is the fence between the sections of the dump. I have a feeling that the picture of the plane was taken when the plane was unlawfully flying over the area. Beyond I can't tell you anything else that I may know from personal experience of areas like it. I used to work as security for areas like it. Tonopah is closer to Area 51, north west of Las Vegas, and it is a bomb range. If you can find Area 51, then look west and slightly north. There is what looks like an air field with a plane in the middle of the runway and what looks like sam enplacements in a couple places. That is Tonopah. If you look at maps Google, you can also see several bomb craters on the north east end of the runway next to a simulated 3 gun emplacement at the end of the field. There are also several square areas south east of the field. That is the area the staff observers watch the bomb runs. Here are some pictures of Tonopah and the surrounding areas. These were taken on Maps.Google.com.

Tonopah Bomb Range

The bomb craters mentioned above.

Range observers area.

Famous A-bomb test area, with some underground test locations as well.

And the famous base that is nearby.

I don't currently have Google earth installed. Maps Google works as well, and I don't have to install it as a program.

#19: Re: Another new contest? Google Earth Aircraft Search Author: Combat PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2005 7:02 am
    ----
Wingnut! Thanks for that info! Nice pics too!

#20: Re: Another new contest? Google Earth Aircraft Search Author: RCAF_WingnutLocation: Omaha, Ne. PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2005 5:01 pm
    ----
Thanks for the complement. After I sent those pictures, I installed Google Earth, and the base can be seen a lot clearer than the picture I posted here. I can see a lot more of the range too. That airfield shot of the range I showed you is only a small part. It extends a long way farther north of the picture. I saw a lot of bombed out areas up there and several observations areas in the hills overlooking the range. I could also see the 737 planes from Janet airlines and at least 2 blackhawk helos on helo pads at area 51.

#21: Re: Another new contest? Google Earth Aircraft Search Author: SS_Harry PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2005 6:31 pm
    ----
Anyone find a Concorde and I'll send some French Toast

Toast in the post ... not nice!

Incidently, does this one count as it's a scale replica thats stuck on a plinth outside Heathrow Airport?

#22: Re: Another new contest? Google Earth Aircraft Search Author: Combat PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2005 10:06 pm
    ----
does this one count as it's a scale replica thats stuck on a plinth outside Heathrow Airport?

The replica gets French Fries! lol

#23: Re: Another new contest? Google Earth Aircraft Search Author: Combat PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2005 10:12 pm
    ----
Another challenge is looking for aircraft that are airborne near an airport - like on short final approach or just after takeoff. It can be done, but it's tough!

Here is a nice in the air photo for you Stoopy!

That's gotta be worth at least 500pts!

But in the air over restricted airspace has got to be worth at least 1,000pts!

#24: Re: Another new contest? Google Earth Aircraft Search Author: RCAF_MadDog PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2005 12:33 am
    ----
Ok here's ya a full scale Concorde found at Blagnac Airport Toulouse, France

Laughing

#25: Re: Another new contest? Google Earth Aircraft Search Author: Combat PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2005 12:45 am
    ----
Ok here's ya a full scale Concorde found at Blagnac Airport Toulouse, France

BRAVO BRAVO!!!!! You like your French Toast soft and goowy or on the toasty side?

AIN'T THIS FUN? lol

#26: Re: Another new contest? Google Earth Aircraft Search Author: RCAF_MadDog PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2005 2:06 am
    ----
Here's one:
Lockheed L1049G Super Constellation

And here is what I could come up with for Area 51 :

#27: Re: Another new contest? Google Earth Aircraft Search Author: ShadesLocation: 3rd Branch up, 'Ye Olde Oak', Green Wood. PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2005 4:57 am
    ----
As much as I love France (especially French women, especially Marseille women... that's another story Laughing ), I'm an Englishman.
Concorde is British Airways' Concorde. It never looked right in any other colours/flags.

I therefore submit these two captures for these reasons;
This is AlphaBravo; The British Airwaysiest of British Airways Concordes, which were and are the Concordiest of Concordes.
It's parked next to the Eastern Runway, between the North and South runways at the Eastern end of LHR (London Heathrow airport) awaiting the compeletion of a permanent exhibition area (current speculation is within the under-construction Terminal 5, which will be between the runways at the Western end).
If you look closely, you can see the 'model' Harry submitted just outside the perimiter fence at the North side of the airfield, on a roundabout which leads to the M4 motorway into London. This is a 1/3 scale model.

I'm 5 miles from all this wonder and 2 miles from Brooklands Aviation Museum in Surrey where Alpha-Alpha (The "Forgotten Concorde") resides, and was a member of the campaign to save it for Brooklands and incredibly proud of myself, and the others, who rescued it and made it possible.

[M4 slip can be seen at the top slightly right of centre, leading off to the North, where it meets the main M4 running East into London and West to Bristol, where the Filton factory is based. The area at the South of the airfield is the cargo area, 50% of what you can see is British Airways area and off to the East of this is Terminal 4. The other 3 Terminals are in the centre area, between the runways.]

[On the right of this shot you can see the area where much of the aircraft servicing takes place and the old Concorde hangars used to be. Ther roads passing these hangars used to crawl in the rush hours as everyone used to slow down to catch a glimpse of them, no matter how many times they'd seen them before.]

I wish I was able to get a grab of Concorde in the air for you, but that will never be possible again. For anyone who hasn't actually witnessed Concorde's landing, my heart goes out to you. It was the most beautiful sight in commercial aviation there has ever been.

Apologies to Maddog but "Le Concorde"? Pffft! Laughing Mr. Green Razz Cool Wink

Last edited by Shades on Sun Oct 30, 2005 5:03 am; edited 1 time in total

#28: Re: Another new contest? Google Earth Aircraft Search Author: SS_Harry PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2005 5:03 am
    ----
Last night i posted that picture of the scale replica ... today whilst just browsing around i scrolled south east abit at Heathrow and found this ..

Rolling Eyes
How was i to know they had one sitting there?!?!

#29: Re: Another new contest? Google Earth Aircraft Search Author: SS_Harry PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2005 5:04 am
    ----
posting at the same time shades!

#30: Re: Another new contest? Google Earth Aircraft Search Author: ShadesLocation: 3rd Branch up, 'Ye Olde Oak', Green Wood. PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2005 5:15 am
    ----
lol
I only looked after seeing yours of the model at the entrance, and Maddog's grab of the French model of it. Did you notice how 'cute' it looks in my shots? Wink

Alpha-Alpha is the Concorde that never flew, and was used as a ground test equipment facility at Filton, btw.

Mr. Green

-> Officer's Club