The Perfect Fr8ycat Accessory.....
-> Officer's Club

#1: The Perfect Fr8ycat Accessory..... Author: JG300-StoopyLocation: Group W bench PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2005 11:26 am
    ----
Was looking for a new antennae ball (Jack is getting kinda beat up) and ran across this:

www.stuff-o-rama.com/ratfink.html

Too cool, eh?

#2: Re: The Perfect Fr8ycat Accessory..... Author: JG300-AscoutLocation: Cyberspace PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2005 4:50 pm
    ----
Speaking of ol' whatsizname....here is a cool website for old muscle car ad lovers...especially those of the Coo-gar variety (see pretty far down page for 428 CJ).

Note the double-bent Hurst shifter in the Charger R/T while yer' at it...

(just cancel the box about Japanese character set..you can still view the website....)

www11.ocn.ne.jp/~iwami...gupage.htm

#3: Re: The Perfect Fr8ycat Accessory..... Author: JG300-StoopyLocation: Group W bench PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2005 7:04 pm
    ----
Wow! All that acreage of beautiful Detroit sheetmetal......gorgeous! I hope they expand into the Oldsmobile and some AMC models too. Could stand to see an Olds Vista Cruiser stawag and the Chrysler New Yorker would be a good fit too.

Hey that Polara gal has quite an overbite too, doesn't she?? Ouch honey!

#4: Re: The Perfect Fr8ycat Accessory..... Author: JG300-AscoutLocation: Cyberspace PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2005 7:26 pm
    ----
- JG300-Stoopy

Hey that Polara gal has quite an overbite too, doesn't she?? Ouch honey!

Yep...and apparently an eating disorder years before it was fashionable!

#5: Re: The Perfect Fr8ycat Accessory..... Author: JG300-StoopyLocation: Group W bench PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2005 7:28 pm
    ----
LOL!!! Yeah she's kinda....ummm......well too bad Victoria's Secret weren't around to help her out back then! Cute lil' thang tho!

Oh hey! more Paydirt!!

'nother linky:

www.prn.ee/ajuvant/rek...aam60.html

..and my vote for wickedest stawag of all time ....basically a 442 for the family!

Last edited by JG300-Stoopy on Mon Nov 28, 2005 7:20 pm; edited 1 time in total

#6: Re: The Perfect Fr8ycat Accessory..... Author: JG300-AscoutLocation: Cyberspace PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2005 7:49 pm
    ----
Well, this one ran 12.7 at 107, but I don't think the 455 was standard that year.... Laughing

www.dragtimes.com/Olds...-4263.html

or maybe you like this one better:
www.cardomain.com/ride/506409

P.S. took wifey up S1 (Sunshine Hiway) to Julian and then up Palomar Mountain in la' Moostang today...lotsa' 2nd gear hairpins at 3-5 thousand rpm....she liked it at the time...then got dizzy! Mr. Green

#7: Re: The Perfect Fr8ycat Accessory..... Author: JG300-StoopyLocation: Group W bench PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2005 12:35 pm
    ----
- JG300-Ascout

P.S. took wifey up S1 (Sunshine Hiway) to Julian and then up Palomar Mountain in la' Moostang today...lotsa' 2nd gear hairpins at 3-5 thousand rpm....she liked it at the time...then got dizzy! Mr. Green

Hmmmm...Really!!! Believe it or not in all my time as a native, I'm not familiar with that route (just a leeetle too far south for me, but Ortega highway was lots of fun in my old '66 and my X/1-9's) so I just had to look it up. ...looks like QUITE the nice ride!!! And that second gear - good gravy it's good for anything from 5MPH to just under what used to be the national speed limit, so it sounds like you were definitely having quite a good time!!!

Was this particular road involved??? Can see why your spouse needed some dramamine...:D

#8: Re: The Perfect Fr8ycat Accessory..... Author: JG300-AscoutLocation: Cyberspace PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2005 12:46 pm
    ----
Yep, South Grade Rd. (almost an open two-way race course for sport bikes these days Laughing ) The east grade road at 14 miles is the one used to transport the 200" reflector mirror up the mountain per Hale's specs when it was built, the S. Grade would not have permitted the turns required for the two-truck (one in front, one behind) transport of the multi-ton mirror.

Sunshine Hiway (S1) has some mighty fine curvy bits at higher speed...and is a lot longer.

Here's a view down into Anza-Borrega off the right side of the road (on S1) just to induce some SoCal nostalgia...

#9: Re: The Perfect Fr8ycat Accessory..... Author: JG300-fr8ycatLocation: Los Angeles PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2005 1:21 pm
    ----
Thanks for the link Stoopy, some nice stalking stuffers Smile

Some nice ads Ascout. There was an antique store I went to in Cambria that had boxes of those, unfortunately no "Cougars". Think I found 1 or 2 at the Morro Bay Auto show but they were for 69's.

But I did get my Marti report for my little cat.

#10: Re: The Perfect Fr8ycat Accessory..... Author: JG300-AscoutLocation: Cyberspace PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2005 1:27 pm
    ----
....and the joys of S. Grade Rd., Mt. Palomar:

www.pashnit.com/roads/...alomar.htm

...and Stoopy...a rider's review compared to Ortega Hiway (which I know myself, from many trips over to Nichols Laboratories):

"It was a very tight road up one side, when the sign says 20 it means it and the first right hander will get your attention. Not like my backyard road (Ortega) that even a rookie like myself can comfortably double the recommended speed on most corners."

#11: Re: The Perfect Fr8ycat Accessory..... Author: Guest PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2005 4:29 pm
    ----
"It was a very tight road up one side, when the sign says 20 it means it and the first right hander will get your attention. Not like my backyard road (Ortega) that even a rookie like myself can comfortably double the recommended speed on most corners."

Wow...see, that's actually the scary thing I'd be worried about these days, with riding clubs and weekend cruisers getting so big. Since doing some motorbike riding around the mountains here, solo or just with one friend, it became obvious how the really fun roads just get packed with riders on the weekend.....and while I don't mind learning the limits of my Sabre, one step at a time, I'd be worried sick in the Mustang, not for myself but for some hodad coming the other way on his new bike, low-siding as described in that article and sliding into my lane......then, crunch, and it's not my car I'd be worried about, but th'dude. Or maybe that's worrying too much......you obviously didn't have any problems with anyone breathing down your neck I'll bet!

Pretty slick road tho!! Wish I'd known about it back in the day!

fr8ycat - NICE! Almost like the window sticker! Let's see...the 4-barrel 302 had to be about...what.......250, 260 HP back then I'm guessing, and close to 300 ft/lbs torque? Quite decent in a class ride like that!

#12: Re: The Perfect Fr8ycat Accessory..... Author: JG300-StoopyLocation: Group W bench PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2005 4:31 pm
    ----
Arrgg!!

That was Stoopy-Guest, not fr8ycat-Guest!!!

#13: Re: The Perfect Fr8ycat Accessory..... Author: JG300-StoopyLocation: Group W bench PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2005 4:44 pm
    ----
Ahhh...here's the car I learned to drive in!! (two-door, not the four-dour, yuuucchhh)

This dang thing weighed, like 4500 pounds according to the specs. I mean it was HEAVY metal! The fenders weren't the usual stamped steel, they were, like, carved from solid cast iron blocks, I believe. Had power everything, and a nice big'ol 390 up front, and a C-6 trans I'm guessing.

This was up in the High Desert of SoCal, where everything is 20 miles (and 12 minutes) away from everything else. Or was, before it got all packed with people like today. Great place to point a heavy ol' car like that down the road......

So one night I'm out cruising around by myself and I'm out by our high school in Apple Valley which is like, up on a plateau above the Mojave valley riverbed. Big Bear road runs right straight across the valley and makes a nice steep, straight grade for about a quarter or half mile up to the top of this plateau...I'm coming home which means I'm on top of the plateau and approaching it as a downgrade into the valley. As the T-Bird noses over and starts the downgrade I decided to be a punk and floor the accellerator just to see what would happen there.....the torque of that Y-block 390 and the porky 4500 pounds of late-sixties iron heading down that steep grade was something I'll never forget, I mean that thing downshifted, made a little ladylike fart, then just squatted down and THREW itself at the road, and halfway down I just knew I'd started a train wreck I had no hope of stopping. When we hit the bottom and the road flared out to level, that car just squashed down flat on the springs and when it came floating back up I knew better than to do anything too drastic, and she behaved herself and calmed down, but man I sure learned what a heart that car had!

Luckily she kept all her hubcaps on too. I soon found out exactly how faithful a car she was, and very discreet, keeping a number of private affairs that occured at the time strictyly to herself. She's still somewhere out there in the desert today, I'm sure, basking in the sun, enjoying retirement in someone's backyard, and I hope she sometimes remembers and thinks about the good times we enjoyed, and the amusing pursuits of youth that she, with her luxurious interior and very solid and spacious hood, helped bring to fruition under the desert stars.....

#14: Re: The Perfect Fr8ycat Accessory..... Author: JG300-AscoutLocation: Cyberspace PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2005 5:16 pm
    ----
"Historic" first 4-door Thunderbird! Yep, like the new 4-door Charger is bound to be "historic".

I learned to drive on farm equipment and a variety of '50's era pickups. Driver's ed. was in some dreadful Dodge thing, ca. 1964, with three-on-the-tree. Thankfully, my Mom soon got a '66 Malibu (4-door, though) and my Dad a "deuce and a quarter"....aka an Electra 225...with something like a 472" engine in it. Major torque. Major weight, too. Most memorable driving experience pre-driver license was my cousins new '66 Impala SS convertible with 396 and 4-speed that I got to flog when he got too drunk to drive. I was 15.5 years and lovin' it!

-> Officer's Club