Want to know what services you have running?
-> Software

#1: Want to know what services you have running? Author: Shadow_BshwackrLocation: Central Illinois, USA PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2005 12:19 pm
    ----
This unique Windows troubleshooting aid will locate those processes that are hosting services, identify each by its PID number, track down each service running inside the process, compile a list, sort it by PID, and then create a formatted Excel spreadsheet, which you can use in tandem with Windows Task Manager. You can use this unique tool to track down spyware and viruses, too! And before you say it, I know in XP you can 'see' the services running, but do you know how the ambiguous term "SVhost" can have more than one service running under that name? I didn't, and I would be most here wouldn't know either...lol

At any rate, here is a really cool script made that once ran, will display all that info in Excel. The only sad part is it requires Excel. I run Open Office too but it seems the script writes to Excel to display the results. Once the Excel file is made, it'll open in Open Office Calc spreadsheet, but I'm thinking if you don't have Excel, this won't work.

Pretty cool non the less..and attached here is the script in a zip format complete with Readme(s).

I tried to use the Attachment feature on this new board, but no luck, so, I'll link it the old way...lol

Here is the link: Click HERE!

Last edited by Shadow_Bshwackr on Wed Dec 07, 2005 12:29 pm; edited 2 times in total

#2: Re: Want to know what services you have running? Author: JG300-StoopyLocation: Group W bench PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2005 12:23 pm
    ----
Where am it? Don't see it?

Might maybe be it writes a tab-delimited file, which is Excel-import-friendly. and then gives it an extension of ".xls" so it will auto-import. So it might be viewable witthout Excel...writing a real Excel file, with the embedded non-ASCII stuff and all, from a script is a lot more difficult.

#3: Re: Want to know what services you have running? Author: Shadow_BshwackrLocation: Central Illinois, USA PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2005 12:30 pm
    ----
Try it now, I tried the new add attachment feature. Looks like I have a config wrong. I'll get that sorted and let all know when it's working...

-> Software