THe saddest website ever....
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  :| |:
-> Officer's Club

#31: Re: THe saddest website ever.... Author: 251_Akira_IJNLocation: Illinois PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2006 11:56 pm
    ----
- Shadow_Bshwackr
A 3.08 gear Akira? Were you racing top end?

I once owned a 67 GS... Wink Sold it to my brother who got so many tickets he had to sell it...lol What color? Why RED of course..:D

Speaking of some of the cool cars I've owned at one time or another...

66 SS Chevelle 396
66 Dodge Charger 383
66 Dodge Coronet (426 Wedge)
67 Buick GS 401
67 Firebird 400
68 SS Camaro 396
69 Plymouth Road Runner 383
73 Plymouth "Cuda" 340

Then the family came...bills, house payments..etc...lol I still did some racing for those in the Central US that remembers US30 Drag Strip and moved into a front engine dragster (rail). Scariest thing I ever drove with the rear end gears sitting right underneath the "family treasures" and you had to use a 'chute' to stop! LOL

I sold it, built a small block Vega, than a V6 powered Chevy Luv. had some street fun and sold both of them. That was it for my 'power years'. Wink

That era was a lot of fun, but as you get older and your family grows, it seems as if your time and money are better spent investing in their future, not to mention your future may last longer..lol

Nice list of cars there Bushy. The 67 GS's are my favorite body style.:chug:

The 3.08 was the wrong gear, but as a 20 year old kid it was the only thing I could afford after shelling out all the money to build the 455 and beef up the 400 trans. It did have a bit of trouble coming out of the hole with that tall a gear, but once I got rolling look out!!! Mr. Green

I was also out of cars for many years, it was about 3 years ago I got to wanting an old muscle car again, and I happened to find this one I have now in Central Indiana. I remember US 30 great track, shame it got dozed. My main strips were Union Grove and Byron. I now live about 5 miles from Route 66 raceway, so I have been going there.

The new Challenger looks promising. 6.1 425 horse "Hemi" (not really a hemi but nice marketing anyhow Mr. Green ), 6 speed with a pistol grip shifter (like the old days) and it looks close enough to the original to be easily identifible just like the new Mustang.

Word on the street is that there will be a 2008 Camaro. I have seen a few pics of it and it don't look bad. LS1 power should make it a contender.

With the Shelby GT500 comming next year it looks like the muscle car wars of the 60s all over again.

#32: Re: THe saddest website ever.... Author: JG300-AscoutLocation: Cyberspace PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2006 3:11 pm
    ----
There is an unrestored, but complete, '66 Dodge Coronet R/T down the street from me. I've been trying to pry it loose from the owner because I don't think he can restore it. It's a VERY faded powder blue.

My post-RVN toy..."D" stock class winner at Ohio Valley Raceway (Louisville, KY). Yes, that's a Ft. Knox post sticker in the upper left pic... Laughing

Last edited by JG300-Ascout on Mon Jan 09, 2006 5:22 pm; edited 1 time in total

#33: Re: THe saddest website ever.... Author: 251_Akira_IJNLocation: Illinois PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2006 4:56 pm
    ----
If you can get the R/T for a good price I'd jump on it since Mopar values have exploded in the past few years.

I always liked the looks of early Gen 2 Camaros / Firebirds. It's a shame they got so ugly after the Fed mandate 5 mph bumper debacle in 73.

#34: Re: THe saddest website ever.... Author: JG300-AscoutLocation: Cyberspace PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2006 5:04 pm
    ----
My Camaro was odd for an SS, most came with the Rally Sport package with what I considered to be a hideous rear spoiler. (the split front grill didn't bother me). The extra small "rally lights" were superfluous. I preferred not having that package....looked "cleaner". Also, you didn't see many full-on SS's with a 4-speed factory hurst shifter that also had factory air conditioning.

Mine I got for $2,200...with about 1,200 miles on it...a fellow had bought it for his wife, who was quite short. It still had a block of wood taped to the clutch pedal at the dealership! 3.26 gears...a solid 130mph car that ran right at 14.0 in the 1/4 (for comparison, test times for a '69 Z28 were more 14.5....I attribute this to displacement and tires).

I love to get that neighbor's R/T. 426 wedge...serious grunt even if the compression has to be lowered...

-> Officer's Club