Jagdpanther
-> AFV News Discussion Board

#1: Jagdpanther Author: DCCLarke PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2006 11:07 pm
    ----

Okay, just testing my picture posting skills Rolling Eyes .

But, aside from being a photo (hopefully) of the finest WWII tank destroyer, what is so special about this picture?

Best,
David

#2: Re: Jagdpanther Author: Doug_KibbeyLocation: The Great Satan PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2006 11:08 pm
    ----
Is that a captured example that resides you-know-where today?

#3: Re: Jagdpanther Author: DontosLocation: Vine Grove, KY PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2006 11:14 pm
    ----
Whats that long gun tubed tank in the background? ( M26!?!?)

Also is that a US Artillery Piece behind the car?

#4: Re: Jagdpanther Author: DCCLarke PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2006 11:30 pm
    ----
Hi Guys, well, the answer is probably something that only Jagdpanther fanatics would be interested in.....

But, anyway, no, that picture was taken on the Eastern Front and the vehicle was captured by the Russians. The tank in the background is the late-war terror of Wehrmacht tankers, the JS-II--122mm gun, guaranteed to ruin your day from 1,500 meters, even if you were in a Tiger II! Apparently, this Jagdpanther got one before it was knocked out.

Oh, the above was not the answer to the question.

Best,
David

#5: Re: Jagdpanther Author: DCCLarke PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2006 12:10 am
    ----
Okay, okay, a little hint. This photo has been captioned as being either a vehicle of 653rd sJgd. Pz. Abt. or 4th Panzer Division in Prussia. If it were a 653rd vehicle, it would be rare because that outfit only fielded nine Jagdpanthers. But, the real rarity would be if this were a machine from 4th Panzer Division. Why?

Best,
David (Starting a new forum is like starting over.... :jump:)

#6: Re: Jagdpanther Author: DCCLarke PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2006 10:29 pm
    ----
Aw, I guess the Jagdpanther enthusiasts haven't arrived at the new forum yet.... Crying or Very sad

The 4th Panzer Division only received 8 Jagdpanthers. One of these was assigned to tank ace Hermann Bix, who knocked out 16 Russian tanks in a single day!

So, if this is a 4th Panzer Jagdpanther, this is the only picture I'm aware of that shows the cammo scheme and details of a Jagdpanther assigned to Bix's company.

Trivia, I know, but considering the historical circumstances, it is a very interesting and unusual picture.

Best,
David

-> AFV News Discussion Board