Test Sheridan Bumper Number
-> AFV News Discussion Board

#1: Re: Test Sheridan Bumper Number Author: Doug_KibbeyLocation: The Great Satan PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2006 5:37 pm
    ----
"T184" looks right to me, 'Weed, no special significance...probably "Test" and a project associated number. These weren't in order...the "Hotpants" test vehicle some years later was just "152". I think I've already covered the rest of it on the other forum...lemme' know if you need that bit again.

Often, the Armor Board just put a number on without the "T"...we had a "Company", but it was just HHT for admin purposes.

Usually, Board vehicles also had "Test Operation" on the sides, I notice this one lacks it but probably for photo-ops with that "M551" thing.

#2: Re: Test Sheridan Bumper Number Author: Doug_KibbeyLocation: The Great Satan PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2006 6:06 pm
    ----
Duh...re-reading your post, maybe you DO mean the other side.

"TEC-EBD" (I'm using a dash were a triangle appears) stands for

"Test and Evaluation Command - Engineer Board" -Engineer Board was the greatly shortened version of "United States Army Armor & Engineer Board"...but popularly referred to as "The Armor Board" in real life. TECOM was the next higher command, and AMC (Army Materials Command) the one above that. We amounted to a tenant command at Ft. Knox under Aberdeen Proving Ground, which Bob Smart may already know.

#3: Re: Test Sheridan Bumper Number Author: DontosLocation: Vine Grove, KY PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2006 7:34 pm
    ----
Doug

The .50 cal looks to have the Night vision sight mounted. Perhaps the reason for the test?

BTW
#5 & 6 are post engineers

#7 is turret & Post TV

two left of #4 is TASC/Miles warehouse

The ball fields are gone and a new reviewing stand has been built above #2 on Brooks Field

Just a few observations

#4: Re: Test Sheridan Bumper Number Author: Doug_KibbeyLocation: The Great Satan PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2006 7:50 pm
    ----
- Dontos
Doug

The .50 cal looks to have the Night vision sight mounted. Perhaps the reason for the test?

BTW
#5 & 6 are post engineers

#7 is turret & Post TV

two left of #4 is TASC/Miles warehouse

The ball fields are gone and a new reviewing stand has been built above #2 on Brooks Field

Just a few observations

Don,
That Sheridan pic is from the '60's, I believe, and an early model M551 as can be seen from the bore evacuator and especially the early style grenade launchers...I doubt the purpose of the test was for a Starlight Scope alone...probably just so equipped at the time of this test. (I have to wonder at the effect of main gun recoil on that "zero", though!)

I'm surprized #7 is still standing. That was the branch PX dining room and right where the "#7" is, is where a disgruntled G.I. out to nail the M.P.'s in their barracks center-punched the dining room with an M60A1 stolen from Boatwright or Richarson tank parks one night in '72 (or maybe '73).
He had confused the MP station for the MP barracks (he went on down the street and punched the station, too...you can see mismatched brick in the pic you sent me some time ago...) and further confused the branch PX for the MP station. He was eventually persuaded to stop and give it up later elsewhere on post. I heard he got 6 years at Leavenworth. There were two VERY flat POV's when in the lot when I reported for duty the next morning at 0630...didn't take much to guess what had happened, neither.

Right where #4 is, is where we reported for duty and the province of the fearsome SFC Geter Shea, who resembled an NFL lineman, but meaner. NOBODY ever back-sassed the Geter!

#9 is where MG William Desobry, and then Donn Starry lived. #10 is between the home of Col. Berres (the Board President) and BG Patton while he was commandant of the Armor School.

2nd floor at #3 is where I briefly lived post-Vietnam 'til a couple of guys and I secured one of the first off post apartments for single G.I.s in Radcliff...over near the drive-in theatre on Wilma Dr. We were immensly popular with our collegues stuck on post. I bet they had to burn the carpet when we moved out....(at least, the bit that didn't already have burns in it).

#5: Re: Test Sheridan Bumper Number Author: DontosLocation: Vine Grove, KY PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2006 11:09 pm
    ----
Yeah

On the corner of the building (rightside of #1) is the XM803.
On the corner of the building (up from #3) is the XM800T.

Don

-> AFV News Discussion Board