M2 Half Track ID needed....
-> AFV News Discussion Board

#1: M2 Half Track ID needed.... Author: SFC_Jeff_ButtonLocation: Ft Hood, TX PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2006 8:48 pm
    ----
This M2 Half Track has been posted before, I'm just hoping someone new will see this that might help. The dash data plate is a blank reproduction and the hoods USA number is wrong. But I got the following serial number from the frame in the front left wheel well area. It says 232411. This HT is a "White" and the engine is too. However I'm told that it is not the original eng. It is a runner and is used in parades, change of commands, etc... It belongs to the 11th ACR/Fort Irwin museum where I volunteer. Any information on this vehicle would be greatly appriciated. I have already spoken to Gary Hebding, Lloyd White, and Steve McGeorge about it with no luck thus far.
And yes, those are my two sons manning the MG's just before being taken on a drive around the desert area behind the museum storgae area. That is Tiefort Mtn. in the back ground, it can be seen from almost any where on the post. [img][/img]

#2: Re: M2 Half Track ID needed.... Author: mike_Duplessis PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2006 9:21 pm
    ----
Well, its got early-style headlights which implies its not a late production vehicle. Its also got the track tension spring on the rear idler which puts it around mid-production, though this could be a retrofit to an early chassis. Its got 'combat' wheels (as opposed to civvie truck-type), though these were interchangeable too. Is the rear plate one piece or two with a horizontal line of bolts? That'll give you another hint on where in the production line it popped out.

#3: Re: M2 Half Track ID needed.... Author: SFC_Jeff_ButtonLocation: Ft Hood, TX PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2006 10:19 pm
    ----
The rear of the track has no opening, solid. Thats the one angle I dont have of this vehicle. Maybe this picture helps. [img][/img]

#4: Re: M2 Half Track ID needed.... Author: SFC_Jeff_ButtonLocation: Ft Hood, TX PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2006 10:23 pm
    ----
[img][/img]
This is the dash from the same Half Track. In the previous picture, you'll notice that the support bar is removed from above the passenger door. This was for the ease of VIP's getting in and out, as were the brass hold rails.

#5: Re: M2 Half Track ID needed.... Author: SFC_Jeff_ButtonLocation: Ft Hood, TX PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2006 4:05 pm
    ----
This is a view of the engine from the pasenger side. I have a pic of the drivers side as well. [img][/img]

-> AFV News Discussion Board