Another picture test - WW2 motorized toboggan
-> AFV News Discussion Board

#1: Another picture test - WW2 motorized toboggan Author: Jim_Coles PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2006 2:19 am
    ----
These are pictures my grandfather took while testing the Eliason motorized toboggan (an early snowmobile) with the Canadian Army in Labrador during WW2. Not really armour (although I've seen other pics with a machine gun mounted in front of the driver so armed, anyway).

#2: Re: Another picture test - WW2 motorized toboggan Author: zundappukLocation: Behind the Westwall, really! PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2006 7:52 pm
    ----
Hi,

Nice to see those.

I know a UK MV collector that has two restored examples of those. They run Indian engines I believe.

David

#3: Re: Another picture test - WW2 motorized toboggan Author: Doug_KibbeyLocation: The Great Satan PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2006 7:58 pm
    ----
- zundappuk
Hi,

Nice to see those.

I know a UK MV collector that has two restored examples of those. They run Indian engines I believe.

David

Definitely a flattie V-Twin...and I think you're right about it being an Indian...

#4: Another WW2 motorized toboggan Author: servicepub PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2006 8:03 pm
    ----
Not quite the same power plant but still an interesting powered toboggan

#5: Re: Another picture test - WW2 motorized toboggan Author: Maple_Leaf_Eh PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2006 12:18 am
    ----
I knew an old fellow in Saskatchewan who called 'snowmobiling' 'tobogganing'. A good old fashioned Canadian word! Like the mocassins the rider is wearing. Maybe some sharpie will recognize which Indian culture favoured those designs.

What I find interesting is the machines in the pictures are very close to the final configuration of today's snow machines, except fot the steering. These ones look like they have a narrow angle steering radius. They'd be hard to corner.

And utterly OT!

-> AFV News Discussion Board