NEED A NEW RIG...suggestions?
Go to page 1, 2  Next  :| |:
-> Hardware

#1: Re: NEED A NEW RIG...suggestions? Author: Combat PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2006 3:15 am
    ----
appreciate it stoopy

also everyone else!

Jose I will try to send ya an email bud. May stop by my moms this week and get ventrilo installed on her PC and find u! lol

#2: Re: NEED A NEW RIG...suggestions? Author: JG300-StoopyLocation: Group W bench PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2006 2:14 am
    ----
Okay, 'bat, ol' buddy, now look.......if someone ain't given ya something yet, or it ain't panned out with IMS_JoseCuervo's suggestion, try THIS on fer size.....

Custom-built on the Alienware site....nice little rig, in your price range, good fast Intel processor (yep, I am an Intel man and always will be, it's a habit ingrained from work and dealing with compatability issues from days of yore with odd operating systems and applications we have to use).

Ya got a Gig of fast RAM, a decent-sized hard drive, a REAL good vid card and it's right in our price range baby....$1271 with plenty of room to upgrade to an even bigger hard drive and other stuff if ya want (I put in two CD/DVD-ROM drives). It CAN be done - so get 'er done!

It's just the box, no monitor......

[1] Area-51® 3500

Processor: Intel® Pentium® 4 Processor 640 w/ HT Technology 3.2GHz 800MHz FSB 2MB
Operating System (Office software not included): Microsoft® Windows® XP Home Edition with Service Pack 2
Warranty: 90-Day AlienCare Toll-Free 24/7 Phone Support
Memory: 1GB Dual Channel DDR2 SDRAM at 533MHz - 2 x 512MB
System Drive: High Performance (160GB SATA)
Primary CD ROM/DVD ROM: 16x Dual Layer DVD±R/W Drive
Secondary CD ROM/DVD ROM: 52x32x52x CD-RW Drive
Motherboard: Alienware® PCI Express Motherboard with Intel® 945 Chipset
Graphics Processor: 256MB PCI-Express x16 ATI RADEONâ„¢ X550 Pro
Sound Card: Intel® High-Definition Audio (24-bit, 192Khz) with 7.1 surround sound
Primary Display: No Monitor
Secondary Display: No Secondary Monitor
Keyboard: Microsoft® Basic Keyboard Black
Mouse: Microsoft® Basic Optical Mouse Black
Chassis: Alienware® Mid-Tower Chassis - Black
Enhanced Software for CD/DVD Creation: Nero OEM Bundle
Network Connection: Integrated High Performance Fast Ethernet
Inkjet Printers : None
Power Supply: Alienware® 485 Watt Power Supply

Subtotal: $1,271.00

Now we'll let everyone else here comment on the good/bad aspects (opinions are always a good thing) but I'm tellin ya this thing seems pretty decent IMHO for a fair-priced off-the-shelf no-fuss-no-muss job and would do a GREAT job with the sims and games you run!

I'd probably up the warranty and HD size, but that's just me......alienware.com to go investimigate it more....good luck and hope you get running soon bro!!

#3: Re: NEED A NEW RIG...suggestions? Author: IMS_JoseCuervoLocation: NEW YORK,PARIS,LONDON,FADETTE PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2006 4:21 am
    ----
bro i live 10 miles from Monarch computer...i would go pci-e and a raptor hd...as far as the other send me an email..

#4: Re: NEED A NEW RIG...suggestions? Author: IMS_Dakota PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2006 3:54 am
    ----
lol sry. I cheat. I put the parts I want together.

I just see too many of the branded boxes with questionable quality items inside. Some of their high-end stuff isn't bad. And of course if you are just worried about price, you can't touch 'em.

#5: Re: NEED A NEW RIG...suggestions? Author: FF_StepChildLocation: Hampton Va. US PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2006 3:05 am
    ----
Stoop, other than the Pentium processor, it sounds good.

Always been an Athlon fan myself

#6: Re: NEED A NEW RIG...suggestions? Author: JG300-StoopyLocation: Group W bench PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2006 1:30 am
    ----
The thing is, Combat, do you want:

1) Build a killer rig yourself out of components, saving some cash,

2) Get a 'box' with a tweak or two (vid card maybe) added to make it fairly killer, spending some more?

Personally, I got tired of the wife suggesting that every solitaire game she lost or dropped internet e-mail connection was MY fault because I put our first 3 PC's together......nowadays, "the cow did it".

#7: Re: NEED A NEW RIG...suggestions? Author: 401RCAF_HitManLocation: Ontario, CANADA (next to the beer store) PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2006 12:36 am
    ----
P4 Extreme edition dual core 3.2gig

Abit Fatality Mobo,SLI,Nvidia Nforce chipset,533fsb

dual Nvidia 7800 GTX vid cards, SLI

dual 80 gig 10,000 rpm Raptor sata drives + 1 250 gig slave drive

Antec 680 watt power supply with pretty blue lights

Asus Vento case

Water cooling by Thermaltake for CPU and both Vid cards including Zalman water blocks

a bit of elbow grease putting it all together

AlienWare wanted over 6 grand for this

I built it for under 3 grand 4 months ago

PRICELESS Mr. Green

#8: Re: NEED A NEW RIG...suggestions? Author: Combat PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2006 12:25 am
    ----
?.....I built my dream machine on their website and by the time all was said and done it was about 8000,,,lol,,,,not including the 500 for shipping,,,,,,
OK HOPPA YA WISE GUY! LOL I got this thing in safe mode and can barely make out the text I'm looking at! Is that a 3,000 or 8,000??? LOL ....and if it was an 8,000 that's pretty sick! Especially when I used to be able to pop your head off from about 200yds in COD UO with my $1,200 rig that I was using! lol

if she allows you to spend 2500 on the rig you will repay her by spending more time gaming and she gets the kids all to herself for hours and hours.

Now...Archie! lol. Thanks for the suggestion! lol I am driving the wife and kids nuts being that I am going bannanas without a damn keyboard in front of me. Your suggestion might actually work! lol

See? Opinions will vary!

Wattaya suggest Dakota?

Yeah wise guy???!!! Whatta you suggest?

Stoopy and Kit! Right now you got my attention!

#9: Re: NEED A NEW RIG...suggestions? Author: VF-17_archieLocation: Sheboygan, Wi PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2006 11:19 pm
    ----
bat just ask the wife for the extra 1000 bucks, then you can get the big dog. tell her that if she allows you to spend 2500 on the rig you will repay her by spending more time gaming and she gets the kids all to herself for hours and hours.

its a win/win

arch

hope this helps

#10: Re: NEED A NEW RIG...suggestions? Author: JG300-StoopyLocation: Group W bench PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2006 9:13 pm
    ----
See? Opinions will vary!

Wattaya suggest Dakota?

#11: Re: NEED A NEW RIG...suggestions? Author: IMS_Dakota PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2006 8:40 pm
    ----
You mean other than that it's a Gateway?

Laughing

#12: Re: NEED A NEW RIG...suggestions? Author: JG300-StoopyLocation: Group W bench PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2006 8:20 pm
    ----
Alienware is NICE STUFF!!!!!!!! Rich for my blood, but NICE!!

Here's an example Gateway system (and no I don't work for them, it's just that they seem to be decent, non-proprietary stuff, unlike Dell, Compaq, HP or Sony which I wouldn't frikkin let my worst enemy touch)...just an example of building something on their site, except they don't offer the ATI card I'd go with, but it comes with a decent NVidia GeForce 6200 128MB vid card that would do the job until you could upgrade for your birthday. Here's the system and the options I poked into it, and note the date...dude it would ship right after the Superbowl

I have no idea why it wouldn't let me remove the surge protector.....

System
Gateway® FX400S

Additional Items
Intel® Pentium® D Processor 940 featuring two processing cores (3.20GHz, 800MHz FSB, 2x2MB cache, non-HT EM64T) with 400-watt power supply [ +US$390.00]

1GB (1024MB) 533MHz DDR2 SDRAM Dual Channel (2-512MB modules) [ +US$155.00]

250GB Serial ATA II/300 7200rpm hard drive w/ 8MB cache [ +US$90.00]

48x/32x/48x CD-RW/DVD combo drive [ +US$29.00]

Belkin SurgeMaster 8 Outlet Surge Protector (6614906)
[ +US$29.99]

Base Price
$799.99

Additional Items +$693.99

Total
$1,493.98
As low as $58.27/month¹

Shipping and handling info
Estimated Ship Date 2/6/2006

Anyone think why that wouldn't do the job for starters?

#13: Re: NEED A NEW RIG...suggestions? Author: JG300-HoppaLocation: vernon BC PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2006 7:37 pm
    ----
well i guess alienware is outa the question then eh?.....I built my dream machine on their website and by the time all was said and done it was about 8000,,,lol,,,,not including the 500 for shipping,,,,,,but to my knowledge alienware seems to build awwesome gaming platforms.....check out the website and see what they have to offer ya'

www.alienware.com

#14: Re: NEED A NEW RIG...suggestions? Author: Combat PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2006 7:01 pm
    ----
Keep the suggestions rolling in gents!

I'm taking notes!

#15: Re: NEED A NEW RIG...suggestions? Author: Uhu_FledermausLocation: Blaricum, The Netherlands ~GMT+1 PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2006 4:43 pm
    ----
I'll have to concurr with Stoopy's suggestions.

If you want it NOW, this is the fastest, cheapest and most uncomplicated way to get you up and running asap.

Personally, alltough I'm contemplating also about a "new" rig, I wil hold me horses till approximatly the 3rd/4th quarter of this year.

Reason for this beeing, having read the specs and stuff about fsX and Vista, also looking at what's going on at the moment with the various hardware, if I buy now , I could be looking at a outdated rig within six months from now.

what I had in mind would look something like this:

64bit system
3,8 P4 dfb 1G
Asus mobo
ATI X1900XTX in sli config (that's 2 of those babies)
4 G's of RAM
4 x 160 G drive SATA and in RAID 0 cfg
750 Watts PSU
Creative Sound Blaster Audigy 7.1

When I inquired around here at this moment including OS, case and the rest of the bits and bobs missing foem that it would set me back approx 3,500-4,000 Euro's times 1,22 you'll know the US $ involved.

Therefore keeping my patience probably will get me the stuff a wee bit cheaper and god knows maybe even higher spec's

Laughing

-> Hardware