Visisting the Patton Museum
Go to page 1, 2  Next  :| |:
-> AFV News Discussion Board

#1: Visisting the Patton Museum Author: elauterbach PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2006 8:17 pm
    ----
hello,
This is my first post on the board. I am planning on visiting the Patton Museum during my spring break this spring, I teach high school. My interest is WWII armor and German armor specifically. I would be interested in any thoughts on visiting the museum and what I can expect to see.
Thanks,
Eric

#2: Re: Visisting the Patton Museum Author: DontosLocation: Vine Grove, KY PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2006 9:00 pm
    ----
Eric

Around the museum are numerous US Static displayed armored vehicles. Inside is the really cool stuff. Although the T28 still captures my imagination.

As for WWII / German display, the PM does have a decent cross section of vehicles on display. Marder II, Tiger II, Panther II, StuH 42, StuG III, Schwimwagen, Kettenrad, Kubelwagen.

If you've never been before, I don't think you'll be disappointed. If a return visit, there has been a number of significant changes over the past few months, so the return will be well worth it also....

For times, check www.generalpatton.org

#3: Re: Visisting the Patton Museum Author: JeffStringer PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2006 9:45 pm
    ----
I haven't been since August 2004 and plan on dropping down there this spring also. The cutaway of the King Tiger was amazing as well as the see thru engine deck of the Patton. Of course, I was surprised to see how large the Mk IV WWI tank was and how small the FT-17 too.

Lots to see if you're into armor!

Jeff

#4: Re: Visisting the Patton Museum Author: DontosLocation: Vine Grove, KY PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2006 10:06 pm
    ----
Jeff

You'd be amazed at the changes, since your last visit.

Drop me a line when you know your plans, and I'll see if I can arrange for the 'nickle' tour with one of the most dynamic individuals in the Volunteer organization...... Wink

Laughing Laughing Laughing

(yeah, I'm talking about me....)

#5: Re: Visisting the Patton Museum Author: JeffStringer PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2006 10:30 pm
    ----
Thanks! Will do!

Jeff

#6: Re: Visisting the Patton Museum Author: Doug_KibbeyLocation: The Great Satan PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2006 10:30 pm
    ----
- Dontos
Jeff

You'd be amazed at the changes, since your last visit.

Drop me a line when you know your plans, and I'll see if I can arrange for the 'nickle' tour with one of the most dynamic individuals in the Volunteer organization...... Wink

(yeah, I'm talking about me....)

Don...
I haven't been there since it looked like this....you sayin' it's changed?

#7: Re: Visisting the Patton Museum Author: DontosLocation: Vine Grove, KY PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2006 11:53 pm
    ----
Ah....Doug

Dude!!Welcome to the 20th & 21st Century....!!!

#8: Re: Visisting the Patton Museum Author: Doug_KibbeyLocation: The Great Satan PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2006 12:07 am
    ----
You've been talking to my wife again, haven't you?!

#9: Re: Visisting the Patton Museum Author: DontosLocation: Vine Grove, KY PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2006 12:21 am
    ----
HA,....you ought to hear mine!

She claims I act like an 'infant Dinosaur'(!!??)

(I still don't know what that means....)

But just think, YOU 'got' me by at least a decade so.... Rolling Eyes

(Gotta go ride my go-cart around, in the dark.....!!) Shocked

Mr. Green

#10: Re: Visisting the Patton Museum Author: SFC_Jeff_ButtonLocation: Ft Hood, TX PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2006 3:50 am
    ----
Now you guys play nice! I was last at the Patton Museum around 1986, given or take a year. I was at Knox for NBC school while in the Ohio National Guard. I don't remember it looking like the picture posted above, When was that taken?
When I was there. I drove a 3/4 ton panel van that I had bought from a defunct lawn service. I painted the entire van OD green with duck blind paint. I put "MOGAS" on the fuel cap, and "TP 35" over the tires, along with my guard units bumper numbers on it front and rear. I was in the Burger King eating there when the MP's came in and told me that government vehicle were not allowed where I was parked in the parking lot. Made quite a scene as we argued about its ownership, and I had to show them the plates, registration, and insurance. I never did like MP's!!!
After I got rid of that van, I bought a right hand drive, used postal delivery jeep and did the same thing. I paid $250 for that jeep and it was a blast to drive!
Man I ramble sometimes huh!?

#11: Re: Visisting the Patton Museum Author: Shadow_BshwackrLocation: Central Illinois, USA PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2006 10:20 am
    ----
FYI...

Admission & Hours

Admission to the Patton Museum is FREE. (This makes me VERY HAPPY...lol)

Hours:
Year-round:
Weekdays:
9 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.
Holidays and Weekends:
10 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.
Special Summer Weekend Hours:
May-Sept., 10 a.m. to 6 p.m.

Closed:
January 1, Easter Sunday, Thanksgiving Day, December 24, 25, 31

For more information concerning events call the Patton Museum at (502)624-3812. The museum is open the the public. Admission is FREE. Self-guided tours.

I fixed your link Dontos... Wink

There is a virtual tour link on that site too...VERY cool!!

#12: Re: Visisting the Patton Museum Author: DontosLocation: Vine Grove, KY PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2006 2:06 pm
    ----
TANKS ALOT !!

#13: Re: Visisting the Patton Museum Author: elauterbach PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2006 2:52 pm
    ----
What about the Panzer III and Jagdpanzer? What is my best chance to see those?
Thanks,
Eric

#14: Re: Visisting the Patton Museum Author: DontosLocation: Vine Grove, KY PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2006 3:15 pm
    ----
Both are in varying degrees of 'work in progress'.

Although the work area is not generally 'open to the public' seeing it is not out of the question.

#15: Re: Visisting the Patton Museum Author: bsmartLocation: Central Maryland PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2006 4:46 pm
    ----
"Although the work area is not generally 'open to the public' seeing it is not out of the question."

From past experience I can vouch for this. I had a very good and thorough visit to the Patton Museum last spring. One note - if you want to see anything at a museum that isn't on the 'General tour' It is always helpful to make contact well in advance with the staff so they can work out the details or let you know of any limitations that they may have to place. In the group here we have folks that either work at, volunteer at, or have good contacts at some very fine collections. We all probably know of stories where someone showed up unannounced and was surprised when they couldn't see something in the collection. The staff usually has work to do that doesn't allow them to drop everything to show someone around. Especially on weekends staffing is usually minimal and not set upfor spur of the moment individual tours. I know at Aberdeen weekend staffing is just enough to open the musuem and keep an eye on things. Invariably when I am up there (usually because of a preplanned group tour like a Boy Scout group) There will be at least one or two people that come by the office and want to see something that they've heard about that is in a 'Not Publicly Accessable' location. Sometimes they get lucky and I have time to open up the area or guide them to it. But sometimes it can't be done and occasionally the person gets downright nasty. Usually they are just disappointed when a little bit of effort ahead of time would have helped.

-> AFV News Discussion Board