ID these off-road vehicles I saw today...
-> AFV News Discussion Board

#1: ID these off-road vehicles I saw today... Author: SFC_Jeff_ButtonLocation: Ft Hood, TX PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2006 2:47 am
    ----
[img][/img][img][/img][img][/img]
OK gentlemen, I participated in the Stoddard Valley Clean-Up today that was sponsered by Four Wheeler Magazine. Tons of rock buggies, sand rails, jeeps, P/U trucks, and ATV's to name a few. Of course I thought of all of you when I saw these military vehicles. There were alot of old jeeps but none were done up in anything that resembled military. I know what the Uni-Mogs are and the Kaiser, but I'm not sure about the third one. It had 8 seats in the back though. I also do not know any of the vehicles "nomenclatures". There were hundreds of participants. We filled 4 longbed, rollback dumpsters and then had to start pilling trash and debris off to the side. Quite an effort by all. The Feature Editor of Four Wheeler magazine took my families picture with our truck loaded full of trash and gave me his card. Then he told me to email him with our info and the truck specifications because we would be in the June or July edition of Four Wheeler. The boys got a kick out of that. So tell me, what are these vehicles specifically?

#2: Re: ID these off-road vehicles I saw today... Author: Doug_KibbeyLocation: The Great Satan PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2006 3:14 am
    ----
The middle one is a Jeep M715 variant...better known as the "five quarter" ton vehicle. Drove a number of those on active duty. I quite liked the ambulance version. Basically, the front end is like the first gen. civilian Cherokee/Wagoneer. Militarized, they had quite a "feet high" driving postion...almost recumbant, compared to other military trucks.
You hardly ever see ex-mil ones...they were a b***h to service. (engine rebuilds in particular, I believe)

#3: Re: ID these off-road vehicles I saw today... Author: ChrisC PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2006 4:14 pm
    ----
The top one is a Pinzgauer (sp?) If memory serves they were made for the Austrian military by Styer.

#4: Re: ID these off-road vehicles I saw today... Author: Maple_Leaf_Eh PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2006 12:11 am
    ----
Austrian Pinzgauer off road vehicles
Jeep "Gladiator" (name?) Vietnam era 4x4
Unimogs from Germany

#5: Re: ID these off-road vehicles I saw today... Author: SFC_Jeff_ButtonLocation: Ft Hood, TX PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2006 2:05 am
    ----
Thanks for the info. I knew the Pinzgauer but had forgotton. I saw three of these for sale up at Big Bear Mtn, parked besdie the raod. I didn't stop though so I don't know what they were asking for them.
The jeep I was pretty sure of.
The UniMogs Iknew but wasn't sure who primarlily used them.

#6: Re: ID these off-road vehicles I saw today... Author: Jens_O_MehnerLocation: Giessen, Germany PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2006 7:44 am
    ----
Yes,

top one is a Steyr Pinzgauer 710M, probably ex-Austrian or Swiss, they are now made in the UK, and have a slightly different front end due to the Diesel engine. Current users include the Royal Artillery, and the Saudi National Guard.

The Unimogs look like an ex-Swiss S404 on the left, the one on the right could be a 406 or 412, maybe ex-Belgian, Danish or Swiss- hard to tell without looking at designators, data plates or something similar- at least for me.

Cheers,

Jens O.

#7: Re: ID these off-road vehicles I saw today... Author: bsmartLocation: Central Maryland PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2006 10:10 am
    ----
In the Air Force we often saw the 'Meat Wagon' version of the Jeep truck sitting behind the Hospital. The two at Langley were a '66 or '67 fiscal year truck (Air Force serial numbers started with the year of purchase, I guess they figured if it was good enough for aircraft it was good enough for vehicles) When I was there from 76-85 the only time it ever seemed to move was when the crash trucks responded to an emergency. It went off to be sold as surplus sometime about 1984 or early 85 and got replaced by new ones (Dodges I think) I figure someonee got a real low mileage camper when they were auctioned off at Cheatham Annex (The navy supply center where all the surplus stuff in the Hampton Roads area went)

#8: Re: ID these off-road vehicles I saw today... Author: Doug_KibbeyLocation: The Great Satan PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2006 12:03 pm
    ----
- bsmart
I figure someonee got a real low mileage camper when they were auctioned off at Cheatham Annex (The navy supply center where all the surplus stuff in the Hampton Roads area went)

Bob...
Good "view" of the Kaiser M715...exactly why I said I "quite liked the ambulance version"...it had great camper potential, with hard sides, standup room, and a sliding door between the rear and the cab.
At the Armor Board, we often had this 'onsite' out there when McFarland-Oliver range didn't yet have a decent building...in winter, it was a good place to hang out, day or night, if you didn't have a good fire barrel going (which we couldn't during the search light tests...at night).

-> AFV News Discussion Board