Training Tank Only
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next  :| |:
-> AFV News Discussion Board

#16: Re: Training Tank Only Author: bsmartLocation: Central Maryland PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2006 12:35 am
    ----
Here is a picture of the Weirton T95. Cast in the lower front hull is a Ser No 5 so I think your ID is confirmed

#17: Re: Training Tank Only Author: SabotLocation: Kentucky PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2006 1:23 am
    ----
Here are pictures I took of one in November:

#18: Re: Training Tank Only Author: bsmartLocation: Central Maryland PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2006 11:34 am
    ----
Quiz time The pictures of the T95 at Knox show another unique item. WHat is it?

Hint - it is on a National Historic Register. Dontos you have to wait at least six hours before responding (Lets say lunchtime today Smile And I'm hoping you will have a better picture of the item

#19: Re: Training Tank Only Author: SabotLocation: Kentucky PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2006 6:01 pm
    ----
It's one of those non-ballistic MBT70s sitting right behind it.

#20: Re: Training Tank Only Author: Doug_KibbeyLocation: The Great Satan PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2006 6:09 pm
    ----
- bsmart

Hint - it is on a National Historic Register. Dontos you have to wait at least six hours before responding (Lets say lunchtime today Smile And I'm hoping you will have a better picture of the item

I'm thinking maybe the LST building itself?

#21: Re: Training Tank Only Author: Neil_BaumgardnerLocation: Arlington, VA PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2006 6:10 pm
    ----
- Sabot
It's one of those non-ballistic MBT70s sitting right behind it.

Nah... In fact I'm not sure I'd call it an item... But I've probably said too much... Wink

Neil

#22: Re: Training Tank Only Author: Doug_KibbeyLocation: The Great Satan PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2006 6:57 pm
    ----
- Doug_Kibbey
- bsmart

I'm thinking maybe the LST building itself?

I'm here to claim my prize (can I get that in small bills?)...look what "Google" turned up: ( I spent two years at Knox, and don't recall ever seeing this building)
www.lstmemorial.org/ar...pr1204.htm

#23: Re: Training Tank Only Author: Neil_BaumgardnerLocation: Arlington, VA PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2006 7:04 pm
    ----
I assume that's it! Here's some exterior pics my friend Kevin took when we visited in 2004.

Neil

#24: Re: Training Tank Only Author: DontosLocation: Vine Grove, KY PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2006 7:09 pm
    ----
Hey Neil, It looks like thats my car by the entrance.... That was Memorial Day weekend 2004 if I am correct.

#25: Re: Training Tank Only Author: DontosLocation: Vine Grove, KY PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2006 7:12 pm
    ----
Actually of all the vehicles in the LST building, I'd love to get either the XM800 W or the AT Half Track running. Of course of M18, M103, or the Staghound would be neat also.

#26: Re: Training Tank Only Author: Doug_KibbeyLocation: The Great Satan PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2006 7:12 pm
    ----
- Dontos
Hey Neil, It looks like thats my car by the entrance.... That was Memorial Day weekend 2004 if I am correct.

You drive a....CAR?! Jeez, somehow I was expecting something with band track....

#27: Re: Training Tank Only Author: DontosLocation: Vine Grove, KY PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2006 7:14 pm
    ----
Sorry to burst your bubble Doug.

Give me a couple of years, and I will be,.....as long as the local authorities don't mind.

#28: Re: Training Tank Only Author: David_ReasonerLocation: South Central Kentucky PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2006 7:52 pm
    ----
I guess that would explain the odd ceiling trusses in the photos, wouldn't it?
Cool, I never knew the building existed til now.

David

#29: Re: Training Tank Only Author: DontosLocation: Vine Grove, KY PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2006 8:06 pm
    ----
David

Several years ago, I got to meet a gentleman who was in the Navy during WWII. He was assigned to Ft Knox during the construction/fabrication of the LST building. We walked thru the building and he recounted many a story of why something is set the way it is. Quite an amazing day that was.

A really cool building in itself!

#30: Re: Training Tank Only Author: Neil_BaumgardnerLocation: Arlington, VA PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2006 8:44 pm
    ----
Here's an interior pic.

Yes it was Memorial Day 2004.

Sorry its kinda dark... But you can see Don on the left, myself in red (garnet actually) to the right with my trusty camera & tripod, and my friend Carl in white next to me (tying his shoe or something...).

Now, for a further quiz - out of this dark picture, what AFVs can you make out? Obviously Don is ineligable...

Neil

-> AFV News Discussion Board