Whats with the other DG's?
Go to page 1, 2  Next  :| |:
-> AFV News Discussion Board

#1: Whats with the other DG's? Author: SFC_Jeff_ButtonLocation: Ft Hood, TX PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2006 4:20 am
    ----
Is it me, or is this the only DG that has any noticable activity? Other DG's I've visited a couple times, never seem to change/move. Does anyone know what the best DG's are on here that might involve VietNam era jets/helicopters? (wingy thingy's). Not to mention the automotive interests?!

#2: Re: Whats with the other DG's? Author: 68BarracudaLocation: Ridgecrest Ca. (China Lake NAWC) PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2006 6:10 am
    ----
well I like this one for wingy-thingys... warbirdinformationexch.../index.php

Or if your into Mopars, this one is VERY active...

board.moparts.org/ubbt...hreads.php

#3: Re: Whats with the other DG's? Author: Doug_KibbeyLocation: The Great Satan PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2006 6:12 am
    ----
Jeff,
If you mean virtual jets and VN-era helicopters, the best place on CC would be the FS2004 forum. We have a number of heli buffs here and a lot of UH-1's to choose from...not to mention Richard Frady's OH-6A versions in the CC downloads section. www.hovercontrol.com also hosts a lot of these as well as the "Blues Brothers" excellent CH-47 and many of us are members there as well (and they have a good forum...I posted some of your OPFOR UH-1 shots there).

If your interest is in real VN heli's, we don't have a discussion group per se, just a guest book...but you'll find no more comprehensive website on the subject than on John Conway's www.vhpamuseum.org the virtual museum of the Vietnam Helicopter Pilots Assoc. (and where most of my own stuff is hosted). See the "aircraft" section, in particular, for a good variety of both rotory wing and fixed wing A/C. Also a lot of aircraft under the many and varied units featured.
If your interest runs to USMC helis in the war, both the "popasmoke" and "scarface-usmc" websites are very good. They shared a lot of the same bases as the Army...such as Phu Bai. Also have updates on Iraq actions.
I don't have a good fix on "fast movers", mainly because of lack of interest on my part. If it doesn't have propellers facing either forward or up, I don't awfully much care. Laughing

#4: Re: Whats with the other DG's? Author: Doug_KibbeyLocation: The Great Satan PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2006 3:13 pm
    ----
- 68Barracuda
well I like this one for wingy-thingys... warbirdinformationexch.../index.php

Or if your into Mopars, this one is VERY active...

board.moparts.org/ubbt...hreads.php

I liked this one....Yo! Cue the horn section for the 1/4 mile opus...

#5: Re: Whats with the other DG's? Author: DontosLocation: Vine Grove, KY PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2006 3:17 pm
    ----
So,....which one are you driving Doug? Cool

Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing

#6: Re: Whats with the other DG's? Author: Doug_KibbeyLocation: The Great Satan PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2006 3:26 pm
    ----
Oooooh....somebody wakes up snide on Sunday mornings. Evil or Very Mad

#7: Re: Whats with the other DG's? Author: DontosLocation: Vine Grove, KY PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2006 5:41 pm
    ----
HA HA HA.....

I stayed up late and woke up early....

" HAPPY...I'M SO HAPPY...!!!" (obscure movie reference quote)

(Actually I couldn't help it, the photo begged me to do it!)

With admiration and respect,
Don

#8: Re: Whats with the other DG's? Author: Doug_KibbeyLocation: The Great Satan PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2006 5:54 pm
    ----
- Dontos
HA HA HA.....

I stayed up late and woke up early....

" HAPPY...I'M SO HAPPY...!!!" (obscure movie reference quote)

(Actually I couldn't help it, the photo begged me to do it!)

With admiration and respect,
Don

No problem, truth be told, those pics only predate my racing days by about 10-12 years. Mr. Green

#9: Re: Whats with the other DG's? Author: DontosLocation: Vine Grove, KY PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2006 7:16 pm
    ----
Doug

Does George know your using his images?

(....DUH,....okay a blonde moment...NEVERMIND!)

PS: I was right M60 gunner, last year (2004) during 4th of July 'Armor in Asia' show. Burned thru 400 rounds on the 'assault'. NOW THAT WAS A 'BLAST'....!!! Cool

"....Ammo expended with smoking barrel, feed tray open, its 'MILLER TIME!! "

#10: Re: Whats with the other DG's? Author: Doug_KibbeyLocation: The Great Satan PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2006 7:37 pm
    ----
- Dontos
Doug

Does George know your using his images?

(....DUH,....okay a blonde moment...NEVERMIND!)

PS: I was right M60 gunner, last year (2004) during 4th of July 'Armor in Asia' show. Burned thru 400 rounds on the 'assault'. NOW THAT WAS A 'BLAST'....!!! Cool

"....Ammo expended with smoking barrel, feed tray open, its 'MILLER TIME!! "

I like to think of it as promoting his images. Wink BTW, had you noticed the special "treatment" that particular one has received? I commissioned him to do me a "Head Shoppe" version.

#11: Re: Whats with the other DG's? Author: DontosLocation: Vine Grove, KY PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2006 8:36 pm
    ----
Thats cool.

I didn't notice that, till you mentioned it.

#12: Re: Whats with the other DG's? Author: SFC_Jeff_ButtonLocation: Ft Hood, TX PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2006 2:21 am
    ----
I know the car "High and Mighty" It was driven and worked on by Doug Patterson, Dick Maxwell, Maurie Leising, and Jack McPherson. If I'm not mistaken, this is Detroit Dragway, about the 1960 time frame. The four men mentioned above were known as "The Ramchargers". High and Mighty first ran at the 1959 Nationals, where it bent a push-rod. It was taken back to their garage and they worked on it all night for almost 12 hours to fix the engine. The next day they almost set the track record in their first run. I'm not sure though how they did in the Nationals. That car was un-godly loud though with those pipes! Bet some of you are surprised I know that huh?

#13: Re: Whats with the other DG's? Author: JG300-AscoutLocation: Cyberspace PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2006 2:29 am
    ----
- SFC_Jeff_Button
I know the car "High and Mighty" It was driven and worked on by Doug Patterson, Dick Maxwell, Maurie Leising, and Jack McPherson. If I'm not mistaken, this is Detroit Dragway, about the 1960 time frame. The four men mentioned above were known as "The Ramchargers". High and Mighty first ran at the 1959 Nationals, where it bent a push-rod. It was taken back to their garage and they worked on it all night for almost 12 hours to fix the engine. The next day they almost set the track record in their first run. I'm not sure though how they did in the Nationals. That car was un-godly loud though with those pipes! Bet some of you are surprised I know that huh?

Yep, and they went on to bigger and better things. Just to show you the flight simming community isn't completely without some appreciation for the historical, this is JG300-Stoopy's repaint of the AS350 in their later colors (at my own "Rotorhead Raceway"). Just to complete the field, he also did "Dyno Don" Nicholson's, "Jungle Jim" Liebman, and Roland Leong's "The Hawaiian".
I woulda' thought this was before your time, Jeff...I'm impressed.

#14: Re: Whats with the other DG's? Author: SFC_Jeff_ButtonLocation: Ft Hood, TX PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2006 3:04 am
    ----
Well don't be to impressed. I must confess something. I recognized the "High and Mighty" from somewhere and I had to think a minute. Then it hit me. Once in a while I buy Hot Rod magazine when an article catches my eye, ( I religiously buy Easyrider, Four Wheeler, and Dirt Wheels mags). I remembered an issue with a picture of this car and started digging through them until I found it, on page 15 of the March 2005 issue of Hot Rod, 2 pictures and a short article on the car. So see, I'm not the smart guy everyone thought I was, haha. Well I guess I just embarrassed myself enough. But I DO love old cars/trucks. There needs to be a DG that deals with anything automotive/motorcycle/ATV. I'd be there about as much as I'm here.

#15: Re: Whats with the other DG's? Author: JG300-AscoutLocation: Cyberspace PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2006 3:08 am
    ----
- SFC_Jeff_Button
Well don't be to impressed. I must confess something. I recognized the "High and Mighty" from somewhere and I had to think a minute. Then it hit me. Once in a while I buy Hot Rod magazine when an article catches my eye, ( I religiously buy Easyrider, Four Wheeler, and Dirt Wheels mags). I remembered an issue with a picture of this car and started digging through them until I found it, on page 15 of the March 2005 issue of Hot Rod, 2 pictures and a short article on the car. So see, I'm not the smart guy everyone thought I was, haha. Well I guess I just embarrassed myself enough. But I DO love old cars/trucks. There needs to be a DG that deals with anything automotive/motorcycle/ATV. I'd be there about as much as I'm here.

Jeff,
The closest we have is a lengthy thread in the "Officer's Club" titled "Not a P-51, but still a fine Mustang"...about 2-3 pages back in that forum. I'd say anything gearhead-related would be fair game!

See also "The saddest website ever" in the same forum...first page.

-> AFV News Discussion Board