Is "Thud Driver" out there?
-> Officer's Club

#1: Is "Thud Driver" out there? Author: SFC_Jeff_ButtonLocation: Ft Hood, TX PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2006 7:09 pm
    ----
[img][/img]
I'm looking for "Thud_Driver" if he's on this DG somewhere. I noticed the name and wondered if he flew one of these babies. If so, I have done some research on these birds and would like to ask some questions.

#2: Re: Is "Thud Driver" out there? Author: SFC_Jeff_ButtonLocation: Ft Hood, TX PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2006 3:35 am
    ----
This is why I am interested in F105's, and contacting "Thud Driver" inparticular. These pictures show me with the front landing gear, (thats the old bunker storage complex in the background). The pilots "attitude" ball from the instrument panel. The last picture is of the impact crater. The plane, a F105D-31-RE, serial number 62-4322, crashed 11 Feb 1964. It flew out of George AFB, Victorville, CA. It was assigned to 12thAF, 831st ADIV, 355th TFW, 421st TFS, and was flown by Maj Charles Barnett, who parachuted safely, (he landed where the current tank gunnery range is). I could go on and on about this plane, its pilot, and the unit when it served in SEA. I complied a 3 inch binder of information. Yeah its a "wingy thingy" but it was this research, that led to my interest in researching armor vehicles. My first being an M4A3 that Kurt Laughlin help me with, (immensely). And now you know "the rest of the story", as Paul Harvey would say.

#3: Re: Is "Thud Driver" out there? Author: Shadow_BshwackrLocation: Central Illinois, USA PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2006 12:10 pm
    ----
I don't know about the rest of you, but I would like to hear more Jeff.. Wink

#4: Re: Is "Thud Driver" out there? Author: SFC_Jeff_ButtonLocation: Ft Hood, TX PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2006 9:16 pm
    ----
It started in the fall of 2004, when my Company Commander told me about some wreckage he and his son came upon on a hillside above the paintball course on post. He didn't know if it was a crash or an old target blown up. I went to check it out and found two tires, both were BFG Silvertowns in 36X11 size. I checked the internet and only two planes used that size tire, the A-10 Thunderbolt and the F-105 Thunderchief. One tiny piece of metal I found that wasn't much bigger than a cigar band had the date, SEPT 61 on it. The A-10 wasn't around yet so I figured it was an F-105. Before any of this tire searching began, I thought the tire belonged to a small cargo plane, like a C119 Flying BoxCar, because of the tires size.
I found another piece of debris about the size of my open hand, with "322" painted on it. I went to J Baughers web-site that list all aircraft by serial number and started searching. I found it listed as "4322 w/o Feb 11, 1964 near Fort Irwin, CA due to engine failure. Pilot ejected successfully." I also found it listed on www.ygbsm.com. This site lists all F-105's built and their ultimate demise, whether it be accident, combat losses, scrapped, or survivors. I also contacted Louie Alley at Kirtland AFB and he sent me the crash report.
Once I had the crash report, I started trying to reach contacts from that unit. I made lots of contacts and people srarted sending me stuff like pictures of the Pilots posed together by an F105 in Korat, Nov 1965. I'll ahve to dig up that photo and post it here. I have almost all the names of the men in the photo as well. The pilots of the F105 that crashed here, Maj Charles Barnett, has since passed away.
I have tried contacting many involved with the 421st and 355th. I have all sorts of info on the units and its missions, etc, but I cant seem to find a picture of this particular F105D anywhere. I was told it was to new to have had many pictures taken, maybe that none were taken. I find that hard to believe but I have since given up looking.
Since I had so much luck with the F105, I tried my hand at an F100F that Check Yeager flew out of Geroge AFB between 57-59. I traced that bird from its birth, to its demise as a Turkish AF plane that was eventually scrapped in 1987. I have one of the most complete histories on an F100 ever complied, at least that is what I was told by an F100 guru. But again, thats a whole nuther story. That story made the local newspaper in a special 2 part story just recently published.
Gotta go, I have some real work to do.

#5: Re: Is "Thud Driver" out there? Author: 401RCAF_Sly PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2006 10:40 pm
    ----
Fascinating........... thanx Jeff

Sly

#6: Re: Is "Thud Driver" out there? Author: XcalibeR PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2006 10:54 pm
    ----
And all that stuff is still there? Gees. I took an aviation safety course this semester, and it went into the very basics of crash investigation. It was my understanding that once they knew what happened, everythign got cleaned up pretty fast...

#7: Re: Is "Thud Driver" out there? Author: Shadow_BshwackrLocation: Central Illinois, USA PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2006 11:30 pm
    ----
Great story Jeff and I'm looking forward to more of those including the F100...:D

#8: Re: Is "Thud Driver" out there? Author: JG300-StoopyLocation: Group W bench PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2006 12:16 am
    ----
Jeff, I don't know where "ThudDriver" is but I'll tell you what - I'm also enjoying the pictures and story, something fierce!

You are out towards Ft. Irwin way, aren't you? I grew up very close to that area, in the High Desert (Apple Valley/Hesperia area) far south of you. Spent a LOT of time out in the middle of the desert around George AFB as a matter of fact, and back then the place was so unpopulated you could look across the valley (no smog) and pick out the F-4 Phantoms tearing along the desert floor. You certainly could hear them too, great stuff!

Can't get enough desert pix so keep 'em coming if ya got more!

Anyway, I read about a coupla guys who are (self-titled) "aviation archaeoligists" and scour the area around Edwards AFB for leftover remnants of wreckage, and using accident reports etc. as a guide. They find quite a bit of it too - it gets cleaned up but some of those wrecks you just can't get it all! I believe they even found some remnants from the North American XB-70 that crashed back in the 60's, imagine that!!!!

Helluva fascinating hobby if you ask me and you're SOOOOO lucky to be out there in some of the prettiest country around...GREAT healthy place for your kids to grow up to!

#9: Re: Is "Thud Driver" out there? Author: JG300-StoopyLocation: Group W bench PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2006 12:35 am
    ----
Aha! Found 'em....check this out, think y'all will find it fascinating!!

http://www.xb-70.com/wmaa/

#10: Re: Is "Thud Driver" out there? Author: SFC_Jeff_ButtonLocation: Ft Hood, TX PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2006 3:36 am
    ----
[img][/img][img][/img][img][/img]

OK, here are some more pictures from the F105D find. I have alot more pictures of parts, more than I can post here. This tire was not as complete as the other tire I found. That is the generator in the other photo by my foot. I actually have a picture of its data plate as well, it was made by Raybestoes. That generator was about 5-600 meters from the impact crater. I walked a large area! The last picture is taken from the crater, looking in the direction the plane was traveling on impact, (north/northwest).
This plane was trying to make it to Bicycle Lake airfield which is at the base of Tiefort Mtn. C17 and C130's, and just last week, Air Force Osprey tilt rotar aircarft land there regularly, esspecially during rotations. I dont think the F105 would have landed successfully. Its an awfully short runway.
I have more pictures of the desert. I may try and post them if there are any requests?!

#11: Re: Is "Thud Driver" out there? Author: 251_Senyu_IJNLocation: Xenia,Ohio PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2006 4:45 pm
    ----
Yeah thanks Button,

I used to do alot of that when i lived in Tonopah NV and in Las Vegas too.

Man you'd have a field day if you could see the stuff out on that range, which is closed to public. The things i've seen laying around Shocked

Keep the desert pics comming, i miss it alot.

#12: Re: Is "Thud Driver" out there? Author: SFC_Jeff_ButtonLocation: Ft Hood, TX PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2006 6:08 am
    ----
It will probably be a few days, (3-4) but I will get more picture posted and tell about the Chuck Yeager F-100F. If you all would like, I also have a few pictures of just the desert around Ft Irwin I can post as well. I will be checking out some display birds and armor between Ft Irwin and China Lake over the next few days with Doug Kibbey. Look for those pictures soon. If I can find my pictures from March Airfield Museum down in Riverside, I had alot of neat pictures from there as well, I just have to find them.

-> Officer's Club