Ft Irwins display helicopters
-> Officer's Club

#1: Ft Irwins display helicopters Author: SFC_Jeff_ButtonLocation: Ft Hood, TX PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2006 9:18 pm
    ----
[img][/img][img][/img][img][/img][img][/img]
These are Fort Irwins display helicopters. There are two others but one is inside the museum (an OH-23 Hiller Raven) and the other is under going restoration,(UH-1M).
The Cobra with the sharks mouth is an AH-1G-BF, upgraded to "S" standards. This bird never saw action in SEA.
The second Cobra, an AH-1G-BF, upgraded to "F" standards was in SEA and served with 3IN 4CA 25IN from Dec 1968 till Dec 1970. Then it served most of its days through 1975 at Fort Lewis, WA with the 9th INF Div.
The OPFOR UH-1H served in SEA, but, according to records was destroyed in Feb 1970. It was assigned to the 135th AHC when it was written off. Before that it flew with the 57th Med Det. This data belongs to the tail boom number. So this exact birds history is a mystery.
OD Huey, UH-1H parked in trees actually served with the 11th ACR in SEA. It was in SEA from June 1969 through Feb 1972 with the 11th ACR. Once returned home, it served the rest of its days with the CA National Guard till Dec 1975.
There is one other Huey that the museum owns, that is at Dagget Airfield. It will soon be brought to Fort Irwin for work and display, possibly inside an new annex that the museum may soon get, (if funding ever happens). It is a UH-1H-BH, and it never served in SEA.
The Huey I first mention above that is under going resto, is tail number 66-00528. It is the bird seen inside the storgae building. It is nick named the "Yano Huey" because the crew chief, who's name was SFC Yano, Rodney James Takashi, was KIA in this bird and recieved the CMH for his actions in saving the bird and the rest of the crew. He was delivering suppressive fire and was throwing white phosphorus grenades to mark enemy positions when one of the grenades went off prematurely and covered Yano and the inside if the bird with white phos. He was badly burned and much of the helicopters supplies and ammunition started to burn. Even though he was partially blinded, Yano began shoving stuff out of the aircraft, and in so doing, injured himself further. He died of his wounds but was able to save the bird and crew who made it back safely. This all happened January 1st 1969. This helo flew in SEA from Jan 1967 till Feb 1972, when it was brought back to the US and given to the National Guard. Quite a colorful history. [img][/img]

#2: Re: Ft Irwins display helicopters Author: Doug_KibbeyLocation: The Great Satan PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2006 9:24 pm
    ----
Jeff,
Since you've got those histories on the SEA conflict birds, if you send me the high res pics and your "captions", I'll submit to John Conway at the Vietnam Helicopter Pilot's Assoc. site where they'll likely get posted at some point. Credit to the photographer, of course.
Ones you have the units for can likely be posted in the section for those units...otherwise, I'd seek to put them in the "aircraft" section.

www.vhpamuseum.org

#3: Re: Ft Irwins display helicopters Author: SFC_Jeff_ButtonLocation: Ft Hood, TX PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2006 9:30 pm
    ----
I've been in contact with Mr. Conway already, he and a Gary Roush sent me the histories on the SEA birds. I sent him the tailboom number from every Huey and Cobra here, to include the ones still used. I honestly can't recall if I sent him pictures though. Mr Conway seems like a nice guy. If I remember correctly, he is suppossed to be in SoCal around May and I offered to show him around here (before I knew I'd be leaving in May).

#4: Re: Ft Irwins display helicopters Author: Doug_KibbeyLocation: The Great Satan PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2006 9:35 pm
    ----
- SFC_Jeff_Button
I've been in contact with Mr. Conway already, he and a Gary Roush sent me the histories on the SEA birds. I sent him the tailboom number from every Huey and Cobra here, to include the ones still used. I honestly can't recall if I sent him pictures though. Mr Conway seems like a nice guy. If I remember correctly, he is suppossed to be in SoCal around May and I offered to show him around here (before I knew I'd be leaving in May).

You're absolutely right, John is good people, we go way back...had him over to the house during his last visit over here...and he hosts all my stuff. By all means tell him you and I are in touch...he's absolutely committed to doing the right thing where vets and active duty are concerned.

We'll all have to get together come May, I think...by then, you'll be due a trip to San Diego.

-> Officer's Club