Look what the cat dragged in...
-> AFV News Discussion Board

#1: Look what the cat dragged in... Author: Jeff_Herne PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2006 9:38 pm
    ----
A long time ago...in a galaxy far far away...

There was a CFS Zone pilot named Freiejager. This aviation malcontent ran an air museum in NJ, spent the vast majority of his time tooling around the airshow circuit in various vintage aircraft (great for picking up chicks btw), and doing repaints and 1% planes for CFS.

Unbeknownst to the CFS community, this bozo actually did design work for Tesseraction Games, and did mods and enhancements for UbiSoft's Silent Hunter II and Destroyer Command as well, making him a well-rounded malcontent.

Freiejager was the host of the 2002 Com-Central Aces Convention...dragging squadron members from all over the country through the outskirts of NYC in a vintage WW2 halftrack and Vietnam-era M35 truck, terrorizing communities as they went. All was good in the virtual flying world...

Then, tragedy struck, and he left the museum after the Chairman of the Board replaced him with one of his golfing buddies, who promptly ran the museum into financial ruin.

The fabled Freiejager left for parts unknown, and took up residence in Cheesehead-land, aka Wisconsin, as Associate Editor for FineScale Modeler Magazine, the industry-leading publication for the plastic model hobby.

A phonecall from the CC CIC, that Bushwakr character, tells me that another group of flying, model-building, military-historian malcontents has taken up residence on Com-Central, and that I should check it out...

So...here I sits...checking it out...

Ok, so that was long-winded...

Name's Jeff Herne, Associate Editor of FSM, and at one time, the infamous zone flier Freiejager, terror of the skies and the master of Boom and Zoom.

Just thought I'd drop in and say hi...maybe Bush has some pics of the Aces Convention he'd like to post up!!

Eventually, (I'm going HOME right now) I'll post up images of my models, or, if you get FSM, just look me up. I had the cover in December.

Regards,

Jeff (Freiejager) Herne
FSM

#2: Re: Look what the cat dragged in... Author: Doug_KibbeyLocation: The Great Satan PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2006 11:36 pm
    ----
Welcome, Jeff!
Anybody that indulges a passion for clanky things and wingy things can't be all good, so you should feel right at home here (especially since you know people in low places, like Sr. Bushwackr). I was, myself, a not-much-to-be-feared combat flight sim pilot in a German squad of some disrepute and objectionable odor, but I've since gone over to the "dark side" of peaceful flight simming with my Kameraden and occasionally profane the FS2004 world with my whimsical sceneries (guaranteed to frustrate landings..unless you're handy with STOL or a helicopter).

I have it on good authority that you won't be the only passionate-about-armor, model-building, flight simmer to grace this forum. And a responsible position with a respected publication, to boot! Normally, respectability would constitute a disqualification, but we try to be open minded about such stuff.

Love FSM, BTW.

#3: Re: Look what the cat dragged in... Author: Shadow_BshwackrLocation: Central Illinois, USA PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2006 11:55 pm
    ----
HIya Jeff!! Glad you made it over! Yep, these guys are as nutzzzz as we are and a welcome addition to CC....:D

BTW, do you have any links to FSM? Sure would like to 'plug' the mag... Wink

We had a blast at the Com Central Aces Convention in NJ! That old German half-track needed to be drug by chain around to a new location (it didn't run) and I felt lucky to have been the 'pilot' for that as Jeff drove the M35 and pulled it about 3 or 4 miles to it's new location.

I'll dig up some pics from that fun time and get 'em posted up, and it was good talking to you today...

#4: Re: Look what the cat dragged in... Author: 401RCAF_HitManLocation: Ontario, CANADA (next to the beer store) PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2006 1:17 am
    ----
Freiejager.... last time I saw you ya left big holes in my Hawker, good to see ya here.

#5: Re: Look what the cat dragged in... Author: Jeff_Herne PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2006 3:01 am
    ----
That was me... feared by many, but shot down by nearly everyone.

I hold no liability for anything that happened while flying on the Zone...sad to hear it went away.

As for the halftrack, it was US, and it did run, but not on that day for some odd reason. Both are now in the hands of a military museum I'm told.

The mag's website is pretty well known...

www.finescale.com

The forums are well attended, at last count about 34,000 registered users, about 15,000 are active posters.

With regards to models, here's my photobucket album link:

photobucket.com/albums...fs_models/

By trade, I build everything, but I'm partial to ships and armor. Here's my T-34/85 that made the December cover of FSM.

Best,

Jeff

#6: Re: Look what the cat dragged in... Author: Doug_KibbeyLocation: The Great Satan PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2006 3:19 am
    ----
Outstanding job, Jeff!

Considering the subject matter, thought you might find this one interesting. These fellows at the AMOStokyo site are quite good. Some of the stuff in their gallery is amazing...especially the "photo-vignettes" of one guy in particular.
Being with FSM, you might well be familiar with this club...

amostokyo.web.infoseek...5_1944.htm

#7: Re: Look what the cat dragged in... Author: Jeff_Herne PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2006 3:30 am
    ----
Know these guys well, in fact, I provided the dimensions for the Thoma shields to him about a year ago.

If anyone ever needs reference photos or materials, let me know...

On the CFS side, I'm talking to Bush about re-uploading all my 1% planes so we can have CFS flashbacks...(shudder).

Anyone here do CoD or CoD II? How about Silent Hunter II, Destroyer Command, or Silent Hunter III?

J

#8: Re: Look what the cat dragged in... Author: shermanfreak PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2006 1:41 pm
    ----
Hmm ... now where have I seen that T34 before.

#9: Re: Look what the cat dragged in... Author: Uhu_FledermausLocation: Blaricum, The Netherlands ~GMT+1 PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2006 2:03 pm
    ----
S! Freiejaeger !

Some of us are doing some trail and error getting our feet wet with Silent Hunter III.............apart from that we still have the odd cfs1 flight, mostly wobble around in fs2004 and occasionally with IL-2 FB+AEP+PF merged version for the much needed relieve of some 30 mm pressure Wink

Great to see you here !

fled

p.s. did you also do some head ons with bushy in cfs1 ?? Wink

#10: Re: Look what the cat dragged in... Author: Jeff_Herne PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2006 2:56 pm
    ----
Hey Fled, long time no fly!!

Amazingly, as much as we worked together in the past, Jerry and I never flew much together. Between JG2 and Shadow Squad, we were always off in other directions. We also tended to gravitate towards the bomber missions and IP play, too.

If you need anything with SHIII, let me know.

Jeff

#11: Re: Look what the cat dragged in... Author: Shadow_BshwackrLocation: Central Illinois, USA PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2006 5:10 pm
    ----
Yep Jeff, we've dabbled a bit with SHIII as well as some members here do Call of Duty 1 and 2. The great thing about CoD 1 & 2 is you can drive tanks, something I think should appeal to the AFV guys who are also into gaming.

That half track was US and not German? Hmmm...dang, it's hard getting old...lol The first thing that goes is your memory....I think that's what all the old guys used to tell me, but then again, I don't remember exactly what they said..:D

#12: Re: Look what the cat dragged in... Author: pineyLocation: Republic of Southern New Jersey PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2006 8:27 pm
    ----
Hi Jeff

I remember your question about roadwheel styles for the SU-100 on the old group( I posted a couple of pics for you) glad to share the new digs. they are great. quick question, I live near an air musum in Jersey and it has been going downhill. It is on Stacey Haines Rd.? just wondering

Jeff Lewis

#13: Re: Look what the cat dragged in... Author: Shadow_BshwackrLocation: Central Illinois, USA PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2006 10:43 pm
    ----
The one we were at was by Tetersboro Airport... Smile I'm not sure if that's it or not piney, and I'm sure Jeff can answer your question much better...

#14: Re: Look what the cat dragged in... Author: Jeff_Herne PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2006 7:24 pm
    ----
That's the Air Victory Museum in Lumberton. Nice collection of aircraft, and it was the project child of Steve Snyder, a personal friend of mine who owned the airport and lost his life flying an F-86 while en route to my airshow in Teterboro the year before.

The Air Victory Museum suffers from a bad location, no financial support, and now that the airport has changed hands, an operator that wants it gone.

Sad situation really.

I'm gearing up to do the SU-85 (changed my mind mid-stream), got sidetracked by several other FSM projects. Since those pay the bills, the SU will have to wait until later this year.

J

#15: Re: Look what the cat dragged in... Author: pineyLocation: Republic of Southern New Jersey PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2006 7:38 pm
    ----
I know about the Air Victory Museum( I live about 4 minutes away) I just didn't want to identify them if I was wrong about the museum. It is a shame, the annual Air Show has died and the place is slowly withering away. Mr Snyder had such a great vision for the place. thanks for the info

-> AFV News Discussion Board