The Royal Australian Mk 5/1 Centurions are coming!
-> AFV News Discussion Board

#1: The Royal Australian Mk 5/1 Centurions are coming! Author: Roy_A_LingleLocation: El Paso & Ft Bliss, Texas PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2006 10:49 am
    ----
Hi Folks!

Took a small break for this site to visit Australian and the PMMS model club web site.

Under new kits, AFV Club, kit number AFV35100, due out Spring 2006, is a Vietnam version of an AFV that has been to long in showing up for all us model builders!

Spot Report!
Sgt, Scouts Out!

#2: Re: The Royal Australian Mk 5/1 Centurions are coming! Author: JeffStringer PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2006 11:05 am
    ----
Vietnam? I thought they were only in Korea! This would be the NATO 105mm version?

Jeff

#3: Re: The Royal Australian Mk 5/1 Centurions are coming! Author: Roy_A_LingleLocation: El Paso & Ft Bliss, Texas PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2006 11:44 am
    ----
Hi Jeff!

The British Army took the Centurions to Korea.
The Australian Army took the Centurions to Vietnam.
That tank gets around.

Barrel - Not sure, I think it is a 105, but the type A and not the type B which looks like the NATO 105s on the M60 and German Leo Is.

Spot Report!
Sgt, Scouts Out!

#4: Re: The Royal Australian Mk 5/1 Centurions are coming! Author: David_ReasonerLocation: South Central Kentucky PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2006 1:14 pm
    ----
The Centurion Mk.5/1 used in Vietnam still had the 20-pdr, not the NATO 105mm. The later 20-pdr barrel had a fume extractor somewhat similar to the 105mm tube.

David

www.diggerhistory.info...turion.htm

#5: Re: The Royal Australian Mk 5/1 Centurions are coming! Author: Doug_KibbeyLocation: The Great Satan PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2006 1:42 pm
    ----
Speaking of....here is a link I'd posted on the old forum with 8 good color pics of Cents in Vietnam:

www.106fdwksp.com/imag...ns_in_wksp

#6: Re: The Royal Australian Mk 5/1 Centurions are coming! Author: JeffStringer PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2006 2:06 pm
    ----
Interesting!

#7: Re: The Royal Australian Mk 5/1 Centurions are coming! Author: Roy_A_LingleLocation: El Paso & Ft Bliss, Texas PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2006 1:44 am
    ----
Hi David! Hi Folks!

"The Centurion Mk.5/1 used in Vietnam still had the 20-pdr, not the NATO 105mm. The later 20-pdr barrel had a fume extractor somewhat similar to the 105mm tube."

Thanks for the correction David. I was wrong on two counts. It is the 20 pdr that had a Type A barrel (like the old Tamiya kit) and a Type B barrel which for those of us who didn't know the differents was thinking it was a version of the NATO 105mm tube.

Spot Report, update!
Sgt, Scouts Out!

#8: Re: The Royal Australian Mk 5/1 Centurions are coming! Author: Al_Bowie PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2006 1:52 am
    ----
Hi Guys, great news, the cent was used by Australia with the 20 pdr for its entire life. It was replaced in the 70's by Leopard 1 A3 (AS1 - a highly modified a3).
Aussies and Kiwis served in Brit Cents during the Korean war to gain experience on the type and batttle experience.

The MK V is a great kit to do as just about all users had Mk 5 or simple upgrades at one stage or other. I look forward to further variants.

Some great ref sites are:
www.mheaust.com.au/

www.awm.gov.au/database/index.asp

www.black-berets.asn.au/

-> AFV News Discussion Board