M8 AGS rear view needed
Go to page 1, 2  Next  :| |:
-> AFV News Discussion Board

#1: M8 AGS rear view needed Author: George_BradfordLocation: Cambridge, Ontario PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2006 1:34 pm
    ----
Hi Guys;

Since our new AFV NEWS Discussion Group seems to be purring along nicely now, I thought I would probe the participants to see if anyone might be able to point me towards a "Rear View" of the M8 Armored Gun System as fielded by United Defense in mid-90's.
A Level 1 view would be preferred, but Level 2 or 3 armor packages would likely do too.
While I'm here, I feel I should also thank Doug and others for the great job they have done in finding us a new home.
George Bradford

#2: Re: M8 AGS rear view needed Author: Doug_KibbeyLocation: The Great Satan PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2006 1:42 pm
    ----
- George_Bradford
Hi Guys;

Since our new AFV NEWS Discussion Group seems to be purring along nicely now, I thought I would probe the participants to see if anyone might be able to point me towards a "Rear View" of the M8 Armored Gun System as fielded by United Defense in mid-90's.
A Level 1 view would be preferred, but Level 2 or 3 armor packages would likely do too.
George Bradford

Calling Neil Baumgardner, calling Mr. Baumgardner!.....

#3: Re: M8 AGS rear view needed Author: Neil_BaumgardnerLocation: Arlington, VA PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2006 2:17 pm
    ----
- Doug_Kibbey

Calling Neil Baumgardner, calling Mr. Baumgardner!.....

You rang? Unfortunately the only good AGS pics I have are of this one sitting outside the Ordnance Museum warehouse. This one looks like it was used for live fire survivability testing (hit marks all over the sides) and the rear has some sort of cage on it - with a nice warning attached Wink

I saw a couple in my reporter days, but those pics were taken with an old 35mm camera. Not sure I have any rear shots - well maybe one of it trucking down a road (picture shot through the rear of a van) at Fort Knox during the 1999 Platform Performance Demo. I'll see if I can possibly dig it up & scan it... But its more of an action shot than a good static picture.

Neil

#4: Re: M8 AGS rear view shots... Author: George_BradfordLocation: Cambridge, Ontario PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2006 2:45 pm
    ----
Hi Neil & Tumbleweed;
Tumble...your JPEG is hi-res and shows more detail that you would think. Just Great.
Neil...that certainly is a wierd shot, bit what it DOES give me is exact positioning of all the rear bolts, and a bunch of questionable to boot.
Thanks to both of you, and I shall still keep looking.
George

#5: Re: M8 AGS rear view needed Author: bsmartLocation: Central Maryland PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2006 3:31 pm
    ----
George I may have some more shots of the one at Aberdeen that Neil shot if you want them They may be slightly different angles. I also may have a close up of the stencil in the upper right corner.

#6: Re: M8 AGS rear view needed Author: mike_Duplessis PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2006 9:16 pm
    ----
There may be a rear shot of XM8 in the Hunnicutt book "Sheridan"... maybe. It's been awhile since I've looked in that book.

#7: Re: M8 AGS rear view needed Author: toadmanstankpictures PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2006 12:05 am
    ----
George,
I have a view AGS pics on my site. Don't know if they'll be of any use to you:

AGS

Regards,
Chris "toadman" Hughes

#8: Re: M8 AGS rear view Author: Roy_A_LingleLocation: El Paso & Ft Bliss, Texas PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2006 2:03 am
    ----
Hi George! Hi Folks!

Here is a rear veiw photo that was on the cover of Journal of Military Ordance July 1998, Volume 8, Number 4.

Looks like there is something odd on the rear end, but hopefully there is something there you can use.

Sgt, Scouts Out!

#9: Re: M8 AGS engine out view Author: Roy_A_LingleLocation: El Paso & Ft Bliss, Texas PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2006 2:06 am
    ----
Hi George! Hi Folks!

This photo is from Armor Magazine, July-August 2000, Page 13. It show the engine pulled out with a little bit of the rear hull showing.

Sgt, Scouts Out!

#10: Re: M8 AGS rear view needed Author: SFC_Jeff_ButtonLocation: Ft Hood, TX PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2006 3:38 am
    ----
[img][/img]
Mr. Bradford, I'd like to take this opportunity to say how much I have enjoyed AFV News. I volunteer at the Fort Irwin / 11th ACR post museum and as of today, AFV News is listed as a "Favorite" on their computers. Great wealth of information available and in general, a great bunch of people on this site. I hope this picture helps, even if in some small way.

#11: Re: M8 AGS rear view needed Author: Neil_BaumgardnerLocation: Arlington, VA PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2006 2:45 am
    ----
George, here are some additional rear shots I took today.

I also understand you were looking for some top views:

Hey, are pics automatically resized now??...

Neil

#12: Re: M8 AGS rear view needed Author: warddw PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2006 4:40 pm
    ----
I may have located a chassis used for testing in one of our facilities that in good shape and still under the tarp - have to see if I can get a camera into the facility though. This was an M-8 chassis used to carry the LOSAT turret. Let me know and I'll see what I can do...

Regards
Derek

#13: Re: M8 AGS rear view needed Author: Neil_BaumgardnerLocation: Arlington, VA PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2006 6:25 pm
    ----
I take it it no longer has the LOSAT turret?

BTW, dont they have a warehouse full of old prototypes, etc in Dallas? I was told that one time when I visited, but didnt get a chance to take a look. Or have I misplaced you?

Neil

#14: Re: M8 AGS rear view needed Author: Hellfish6Location: Orlando PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2006 2:28 am
    ----
I have a nearly finished 3D model of the M-8 AGS. I'd love to have more reference pictures of it. Is the model at Aberdeen going to be put on public display any time soon?

#15: Re: M8 AGS rear view needed Author: bsmartLocation: Central Maryland PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2006 9:58 am
    ----
- Hellfish6
I have a nearly finished 3D model of the M-8 AGS. I'd love to have more reference pictures of it. Is the model at Aberdeen going to be put on public display any time soon?
I'm not sure where it is in the que to go through Refurb although I think it is probably way down the list. I suspect it will sit in the holding area where it is until it goes into refurb.

That said, several folks here can attest to the fact that it is readily available for viewing and with a little common sense can be photographed where it is. It is in on of the areas that is on my regular tour route when I give tours to small groups of enthusiasts or students at the Museum (I don't usually take groups like Boy Scout troops over there simply because of logistics but just about anyone who asks has been to that area.

-> AFV News Discussion Board