Spam Invasion attempt ??
Go to page 1, 2  Next  :| |:
-> AFV News Discussion Board

#1: Spam Invasion attempt ?? Author: DontosLocation: Vine Grove, KY PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2006 10:57 am
    ----
At 0600 EST this morning there were over 65 'Visitors' viewing the Community Forums.

I wonder if that was 'our friend' the 'Spammers' trying to add their trash to the site?

Just seemed a little weird.

Invasion was successfully repelled, if so.

WAY TO GO 'WINGIE-THINGIE DUDES' !!!

#2: Re: Spam Invasion attempt ?? Author: Doug_KibbeyLocation: The Great Satan PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2006 12:04 pm
    ----
- Dontos
At 0600 EST this morning there were over 65 'Visitors' viewing the Community Forums.

I wonder if that was 'our friend' the 'Spammers' trying to add their trash to the site?

Just seemed a little weird.

Invasion was successfully repelled, if so.

WAY TO GO 'WINGIE-THINGIE DUDES' !!!

We've had as many as 81 visitors that we know of at one time, but it appears to be genuine. If it isn't, the admin defenses are strong. Check this thread in the Officer's Club:

www.com-central.net/in...amp;t=2711

#3: Re: Spam Invasion attempt ?? Author: Shadow_BshwackrLocation: Central Illinois, USA PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2006 12:32 pm
    ----
:D...

They're legit lookers and some things we've learned from spammers:

1) They don't want to register- That will force them to give us their IP.

2) They're looking for Email address'. Even if they do register, all member info is only available to Admins, so they can't 'scan' for new web sites and/or email address'.

3) Some spammers are using "bots" now to 'harvest' board info. Since you need to register and you have to manually put in a 'code' and you have to be approved by an Admin, most spammers and all bots give up and even if they persist, they still have to get by info #2... Wink

4) Some spammers try to use 'dictionary' hacks. These programs will try and substitute different letter and combinations of letters and numbers to gain access. We have enabled automated multiple attempt blocking. If after so many unsuccessful tries, the server will block the attempting IP requiring contacting an admin before an account will be 'cleared'.

#4: Re: Spam Invasion attempt ?? Author: Doug_KibbeyLocation: The Great Satan PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2006 1:13 pm
    ----
- Shadow_Bshwackr
:D...

They're legit lookers and some things we've learned from spammers:

1) They don't want to register- That will force them to give us their IP.

2) They're looking for Email address'. Even if they do register, all member info is only available to Admins, so they can't 'scan' for new web sites and/or email address'.

3) Some spammers are using "bots" now to 'harvest' board info. Since you need to register and you have to manually put in a 'code' and you have to be approved by an Admin, most spammers and all bots give up and even if they persist, they still have to get by info #2... Wink

4) Some spammers try to use 'dictionary' hacks. These programs will try and substitute different letter and combinations of letters and numbers to gain access. We have enabled automated multiple attempt blocking. If after so many unsuccessful tries, the server will block the attempting IP requiring contacting an admin before an account will be 'cleared'.

...or to put it another way, Don...the janitorial staff here are BADa$$'s! Wink

#5: Re: Spam Invasion attempt ?? Author: Andrei PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2006 1:15 pm
    ----
---At 0600 EST this morning there were over 65 'Visitors' viewing the Community Forums.

Maybe someone gave a link on one poppular forums Smile

#6: Re: Spam Invasion attempt ?? Author: Doug_KibbeyLocation: The Great Satan PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2006 1:18 pm
    ----
- Andrei
---At 0600 EST this morning there were over 65 'Visitors' viewing the Community Forums.

Maybe someone gave a link on one poppular forums Smile

There are other forums?

#7: Re: Spam Invasion attempt ?? Author: DontosLocation: Vine Grove, KY PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2006 7:23 pm
    ----
WOW....there was just 87 visitors ( 1520 hrs EST )!!!

A lot of eyes are on us???

#8: Re: Spam Invasion attempt ?? Author: Doug_KibbeyLocation: The Great Satan PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2006 7:33 pm
    ----
- Dontos
WOW....there was just 87 visitors ( 1520 hrs EST )!!!

A lot of eyes are on us???

Don, look in the 'Officer's Club'...I posted a screenshot from when we had 111...and I saw 110 a little while ago today.
The admins assure me that these are legit visitors...and you will notice that the peak times are generally right about 3:30 PM EST....lunch on the West Coast, late workday on the East, Evening in 'Urp....just about right for the maximum surf time. Wink

#9: Re: Spam Invasion attempt ?? Author: JimWebLocation: The back of beyond PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2006 10:46 pm
    ----
- Dontos

Of course Don forgets that the rest of the world is on this mailing list as well ... for instance here in the UK we are approx 6 hours ahead of him so 6am to him is Midday to the UK...

#10: Re: Spam Invasion attempt ?? Author: DontosLocation: Vine Grove, KY PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2006 11:11 pm
    ----
Hello Jim

Actually its more based on suspicion after the spam attack on the other site.

Seeing who is on, is a neat feature, that I haven't yet gotten comfortable with.

I understand the time differences, and isn't Israel in the same (or close) zone?

I'll just ignore any further viewer population 'explosion'.

Don

#11: Re: Spam Invasion attempt ?? Author: 401RCAF_HitManLocation: Ontario, CANADA (next to the beer store) PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2006 11:34 pm
    ----
alot of these vistors are also google and yahoo bot's which are legit parts of they're search engine hosts that go out onto the net and gather information for the search engines. The more popular Com-Central get's, the more visits we get from these pieces of code (bot's) that start at the front of the boards and scan through all that they can access for information, hence the many listings of a visitor. If I look on the Admin's information it is shown that they are all or most from the same IP and if we do a trace ping it shows as a google bot etc...don't worry about being spammed here, we are on constant watch and have the latest security software installed and running. And it's all for free to our members....

#12: Re: Spam Invasion attempt ?? Author: JG300-StoopyLocation: Group W bench PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2006 11:35 pm
    ----
Well, also keep in mind those are viewers of Com-Central overall, not just the AFV DG here.....we get visitors like that for other topics in the flight sim communty as well (hehe, my "CFS3 Install, Tweak and Tune Guide" has over 3,000 views on it)...plus, don't forget the notorious JG300 'Wilde Sau Gruppe" is stationed here at Com-C, and as one of the greatest hallmark squadrons of Microsoft Combat Flight Simulator 3 we have a very large following of other nervous flight-simmers keeping tabs on us...kind of an online Treaty of Versailles if you will........

It ain't no big thang.

#13: Re: Spam Invasion attempt ?? Author: JG300-AscoutLocation: Cyberspace PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2006 11:38 pm
    ----
- JG300-Stoopy
don't forget the notorious JG300 'Wilde Sau Gruppe" is stationed here at Com-C, and as one of the greatest hallmark squadrons of Microsoft Combat Flight Simulator 3 we have a very large following of other nervous flight-simmers keeping tabs on us...kind of an online Treaty of Versailles if you will........

It ain't no big thang.

And we know more ways to raid their stash than you can imagine, they should be nervous.

Be afraid....be very afraid! Twisted Evil

#14: Re: Spam Invasion attempt ?? Author: DontosLocation: Vine Grove, KY PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2006 11:49 pm
    ----
....I will sleep better now... HA HA HA

#15: Re: Spam Invasion attempt ?? Author: Doug_KibbeyLocation: The Great Satan PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2006 11:52 pm
    ----
- Dontos
....I will sleep better now... HA HA HA

Think of it like this, Don...with those "Wild Sau's" around, you've got an umbrella of air cover. Wink

-> AFV News Discussion Board