Strange Looking Tank
-> AFV News Discussion Board

#1: Re: Strange Looking Tank Author: JG300-AscoutLocation: Cyberspace PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2006 7:17 pm
    ----
I've seen worse designs. The biggest problem that I can see with this one is ground pressure, fragile wheels, and the limited arc of fire imposed by the wheels themselves in front of the turret (anything bigger than an MG, and you will likely damage your own wheels).

#2: Re: Strange Looking Tank Author: David_ReasonerLocation: South Central Kentucky PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2006 7:39 pm
    ----
The "Tsar Tank" can also be seen in model form here:

www.missing-lynx.com/g...aloga.html

A brief overview of the project can be found here:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tsar_Tank

The whole contraption would have been a WW1 artillerist's dream target.

David

#3: Re: Strange Looking Tank Author: Russ_Buchan PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 6:10 am
    ----
Dear David:

I can just see a WWI artillerist calling in his fire commands, as portrayed by Peter Sellers in a pickelhaube:

"No, seriously, Herman, there really IS an enormous tricycle advancing on our position. Please stand by for fire co-ordinates (all in Morse code, of course)".

"Tricycle, you know, tricycle, that three-wheeled thing you used to hurtle on, on the Vienerstrasse, but ever so much larger!"

"Fire for effect, co-ordinates 65443 - 79812!"

"Em, correction, repeat, correction: Stand down from fire command -- the bugger seems to have got its front prong rather stuck in a trench, and looks to be engaged in shooting off its own rear wheels in some sort of fit of pique. Hmm, most curious."

"No further fire support required, we'll have a couple of landsers chuck in a grenade or two. Thanks, Herman, Out. "

Russ

#4: Re: Strange Looking Tank Author: David_ReasonerLocation: South Central Kentucky PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 1:51 pm
    ----
Well, Russ, I'm sure the designer thought it was a good idea at the time. See also the thread on the One-man Tank. Proof positive that some bad ideas just keep popping up again. The layout is a little different and there is a vast difference in scale, but it's still a tricycle "tank".

David

-> AFV News Discussion Board