Sniper Rifle in Iraq....
-> AFV News Discussion Board

#1: Sniper Rifle in Iraq.... Author: SFC_Jeff_ButtonLocation: Ft Hood, TX PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 4:20 am
    ----
[img][/img][img][/img]
Caliber: 7.62x51mm NATO (.308 Win.)
Capacity: 20 or 5 round detachable box magazine
Mechanism: Rotating bolt, gas operated, air cooled,
semi-automatic magazine fed rifle
Weight: 11.25 lbs (5.11kg)
Length: 44.1" (112cm)
Barrel: Match Grade 22 inches 1:10 RH twist
Trigger Pull: Specially tuned 4 1/2 pound match
two-stage military trigger
Sight: Redfield/Leatherwood 3-9x Automatic Ranging Telescope (ART)
Max Effective Range: 900 yards (822m)

The M21 is esentially a modified M14 National Match rifle. The earlier versions (XM21) had a specially selected walnut stock, but this changed with the M21 to a fiberglass stock, often camoflaged. The XM21 began to be fielded in the second half of 1969 and remained the U.S. Army's primary Sniper Weapon System until it began to be replaced by the M24 SWS in 1988. Some National Guard units and even a few active duty units (The OPFOR at JRTC for example) still use the M21. The M21 is a very pratical sniper weapon maintaining acceptable accuracy out to about 700 meters. Besides the problem that it is semi-auto and sends brass flying, the M21 was, and still is, a very capable military sniper rifle. The 10th SFG, in conjuntion with the U.S. Navy SEALs has developed an improved version of the M21 known as the M25. The M25 was designed out of a need for a semi auto sniper rifle, and it was the weapon of choice for SEAL snipers during Desert Storm. The M21 holds a dear spot in many U.S. Army snipers hearts (me included), and rightfully so.

I found this picture at Army Knowledge On-Line (AKO). I thought it looked like an old M14 and checked it out. Sure enough, the M21 is a modified M14. I was rather surprised to still see it in use in Iraq. However it might be the even newer M25 system. While in Korea with 1/503rd Inf (AirAssault) in 1997, we used the M24 which is based on the Remington 700, which is chambered for 7.62X51 (308 win) Personally, I like boly action rifles for sniper duty. Anyone else have experience with these rifles?

#2: Re: Sniper Rifle in Iraq.... Author: Doug_KibbeyLocation: The Great Satan PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 4:22 am
    ----
- SFC_Jeff_Button
Anyone else have experience with these rifles?

Yep.

www.lcompanyranger.com...lepage.htm

#3: Re: Sniper Rifle in Iraq.... Author: SFC_Jeff_ButtonLocation: Ft Hood, TX PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 4:40 am
    ----
Is there any topic I can bring up that you do NOT know something about? Encyclopedia Kibbey strikes again!

#4: Re: Sniper Rifle in Iraq.... Author: Doug_KibbeyLocation: The Great Satan PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 4:48 am
    ----
I don't know squat about Shermans, and not a fraction of what everybody else here probably knows about WWII tanks.
Heck, over on the other forum, I had to ask what the difference was between an M3 "Grant" & a "Lee" ....probably the only guy who didn't know.

Don't be impressed, I only know about stuff I have some experience with, and not much else.... Rolling Eyes

#5: Re: Sniper Rifle in Iraq.... Author: David_ReasonerLocation: South Central Kentucky PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 1:36 pm
    ----
- Doug_Kibbey
I don't know squat about Shermans, and not a fraction of what everybody else here probably knows about WWII tanks.
Heck, over on the other forum, I had to ask what the difference was between an M3 "Grant" & a "Lee" ....probably the only guy who didn't know.

Don't be impressed, I only know about stuff I have some experience with, and not much else.... Rolling Eyes

That's OK, Doug. I'm always rather concious of the fact that I am probably the only one who posts here that does not have ANY real world AFV experience. Everything I know on the subject I read in a book somewhere, second-hand.

Kind of surprised to see the M21 still in service. It ain't particularly sexy or high-tech, but I'm sure it still gets the job done. Many years ago I used to own an M1A built from a Springfield Armory receiver and an M14 parts kit. I made a gift of it to one of the armorers at Camp Robinson, AR who had helped me out a lot when I left Little Rock AFB for Germany.

David

#6: Re: Sniper Rifle in Iraq.... Author: Doug_KibbeyLocation: The Great Satan PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 2:21 pm
    ----
Tell me this guy in Mosul and I don't think alike! (I don't know him, but I like him already....) Smile

More M21 variants on duty oer' there:

M25:

#7: Re: Sniper Rifle in Iraq.... Author: mike_Duplessis PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 3:15 pm
    ----
For those times when 5.56 just isn't enough.
I've seeen photos of more and more infantry carrying 7.62mm weapons with them on patrol. I don't know if that's because 5.56 isn't getting the job done, or if its simply because the 7.62mm weapons are the 'cool guns' that get their portaits snapped more often!

#8: Re: Sniper Rifle in Iraq.... Author: Al_Bowie PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2006 8:22 pm
    ----
Full Circle? It seems that the limitations of 5.56 even with the fabled SS109 (and eq) ammo has finally spurred a serious look at alternates. Friends indicated thast a qty of our old L1A1 SLRS were refurbished and sent with the SF group to Afghanistan where its long range knock down was more suitable to ops than the lighter M4.
Given the longer ranges of engagement in Afghanistan and the Middle east it makes sense to revisit 7.62. WHilst it is true that a soldier can carry more 5.56 ammo it is also true that if he needs many more rds to achieve the same aim then its no bonus.
What they need is something between the two rounds like the Russian 7.62 x 49(?). Given new propellent technology its a no brainer to come up with a lighter and more effective 7.62 for campaigns such as these.
Cheers
Al

-> AFV News Discussion Board