WOW this is fun, I wonder what I'm firing?
-> AFV News Discussion Board

#1: WOW this is fun, I wonder what I'm firing? Author: SFC_Jeff_ButtonLocation: Ft Hood, TX PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 5:12 am
    ----
[img][/img]
Any ideas what were looking at. She sure seems to be having fun. Maybe an old boy-friend or ex-husband is at the other end!? haha.

#2: Re: WOW this is fun, I wonder what I'm firing? Author: Russ_Buchan PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 6:20 am
    ----
Jeff:

No idea, but the ammo chute looks about right for a modern caliber, but the barrel assembly looks to be a really-modern light Gatling-style revolving type.

I have been out for forty-one years, and never had the opportunity to shoot anything like that. Lucky girl!

From her rather modest attire (in such a photo-op as this), I am going to assume she is of Eastern European descent or residence.

You tell me.

Russ

Russ

#3: Re: WOW this is fun, I wonder what I'm firing? Author: JinxLocation: Canada PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 7:13 am
    ----
Although the model is somewhat less appealing, i think you'll recognize the weapon:

A U.S. airman fires a GAU-17 mini-gun from a UH-1 Huey during training exercises in Australia. Mini-guns are modern updates of the Gatling gun, with an electric motor, rather than a hand-crank, to rotate the barrels.

(Caption as found at: science.howstuffworks....e-gun4.htm )

#4: Re: WOW this is fun, I wonder what I'm firing? Author: zundappukLocation: Behind the Westwall, really! PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 9:27 am
    ----
Well, my guess is that they are the very same guns, I mean the actual guns are the same. The background etc is identical, so the girl has been "photoshopped" into the picture!

You cannot trust pictures to tell the whole story..........

David

#5: Re: WOW this is fun, I wonder what I'm firing? Author: DontosLocation: Vine Grove, KY PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 11:39 am
    ----
The ol' "mini-gun", 7.62mm.....I've always wanted to burn off a couple of thousand rounds on that 'puppy'.

I read somewhere that it was proposed as the TC's weapon on the Abrams during development....Ammo storage would have taken away the TC sponson box though.

MAN, THAT WOULD BE COOL!!!

#6: Re: WOW this is fun, I wonder what I'm firing? Author: Doug_KibbeyLocation: The Great Satan PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 2:01 pm
    ----
- Dontos
The ol' "mini-gun", 7.62mm.....I've always wanted to burn off a couple of thousand rounds on that 'puppy'.

I read somewhere that it was proposed as the TC's weapon on the Abrams during development....Ammo storage would have taken away the TC sponson box though.

MAN, THAT WOULD BE COOL!!!

In the early '70's at the Armor Board, we evaluated a 5.56mm version of the mini....then called the "Burlington Six-Pack". It was envisioned as an aux MG on armored vehicles....really dusted up the range, too, I tell ya'.
I also see ammo requirements being an issue if speaking of general use.

#7: Re: WOW this is fun, I wonder what I'm firing? Author: SFC_Jeff_ButtonLocation: Ft Hood, TX PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 5:07 pm
    ----
I'm not computer literate, but I'm going to have to learn how to "Photoshop". I like that version with the girl more than the Huey shot. Firing a mini gun would be awsome! Closest thing I ever seen would have been the Vulcan, ground mounted up at Lake Erie's Camp Perry in the early to mid 70's. They would line up with M42 Dusters, and fire at remote control planes flying out over the lake that were towing targets. When they would accidently hit the RC plane and it landed in the lake, they would send out what they called a "Goose" if I remember correctly. It was silver and had 4 large balloon tires and it would go recover the RC plane. Ah, the days of my youth, going to my fathers National Gurad summer camps at Lake Erie and Grayling Michigan. Good times.

-> AFV News Discussion Board