Dontos, Congrats and a question...
-> AFV News Discussion Board

#1: Dontos, Congrats and a question... Author: SFC_Jeff_ButtonLocation: Ft Hood, TX PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2006 2:21 am
    ----
[img][/img]
First off, my congrats on having your Ontos web-site linked to AFV. I browsed through it and really liked it, I will be going back again. You have one picture there of an M50 that I believe is a rear shot of the one I have here, that is at 29 Palms. I can't find anything on the web concerning a museum at 29 Palms. Are the static display vehicles just scattered around the post and there is no museum?, or how are they arranged. I'm thinking of a trip one sunny Saturday to 29 Palms to check it out in the next few weeks. Since I may never get to California again, I thought I'd check it out. I will take a lot of pictures of the armor on display, but for you, I will take specific pics of the Ontos if you have any requests. Any body know anything about 29 Palms museum?

#2: Re: Dontos, Congrats and a question... Author: JinxLocation: Canada PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2006 2:38 am
    ----
Sgt. Button;

This page shows a few more photos of the vehicle in question :

ontosb.homestead.com/beck1.html

It lists other vehicles on display, but not their location.

#3: Re: Dontos, Congrats and a question... Author: SFC_Jeff_ButtonLocation: Ft Hood, TX PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2006 2:44 am
    ----
Thanks for the link, I just checked it out and was in aggreement with the photographer, that the paint job is all wrong! Sounds like the vehicles are on display with no museum to speak of. Now I wonder if its worth the trip?!

#4: Re: Dontos, Congrats and a question... Author: DontosLocation: Vine Grove, KY PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2006 3:55 am
    ----
- SFC_Jeff_Button
[img][/img]
First off, my congrats on having your Ontos web-site linked to AFV. I browsed through it and really liked it, I will be going back again. You have one picture there of an M50 that I believe is a rear shot of the one I have here, that is at 29 Palms. I can't find anything on the web concerning a museum at 29 Palms. Are the static display vehicles just scattered around the post and there is no museum?, or how are they arranged. I'm thinking of a trip one sunny Saturday to 29 Palms to check it out in the next few weeks. Since I may never get to California again, I thought I'd check it out. I will take a lot of pictures of the armor on display, but for you, I will take specific pics of the Ontos if you have any requests. Any body know anything about 29 Palms museum?

Give me a shout if you go see it. I need some info and more photos on certain areas. Its a mispainted static monument. Not sure if at the gate or where, the photos I have were sent to me in the mail.

#5: Re: Dontos, Congrats and a question... Author: SFC_Jeff_ButtonLocation: Ft Hood, TX PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2006 4:07 am
    ----
Its a deal, there is also one in El Centro but thats a lot further, down by the Mexico border. So 29 Palms looks like the way to go. Before I go, you'll need to tell me where to find any significant markings/stampings on this vehicle. Any thing special I should look for or that you want to see.

#6: Re: Dontos, Congrats and a question... Author: DontosLocation: Vine Grove, KY PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2006 4:19 am
    ----
Left rear tow hook eyelet has the stamped SN. It is also on the upper hull tom hook eyelet and should match unless the vehicle was 'piecemealed' at some point in its life.

If is unsecured (doubtful ) I'd love interior photos. (take a prybar or hack saw....Oppps! Did I type that?? I thought I was only thinking it!!)

#7: Re: Dontos, Congrats and a question... Author: DontosLocation: Vine Grove, KY PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2006 1:42 pm
    ----
Its in the "American Heritage Park" in El Monte. I have only a burrowed photo of that one. I'd love to get more and any serial number / markings information on it.

American Military & Heritage Museum

Interestingly (for me at least) is that it has the .30cal gun shield on the mount. The shields were not widely used, and few vehicles remain, with the shield still mounted.

Hey.....They even have an M114 'LINGLE'!!!

#8: Re: Dontos, Congrats and a question... Author: L.Delsing PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2006 3:07 pm
    ----
Hello,
Do they also have some MBT's at this museum?
Regards,
Lesley

#9: Re: Dontos, Congrats and a question... Author: DontosLocation: Vine Grove, KY PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2006 3:17 pm
    ----
Lesley

Here is a listing from the site:

M1 Combat Car
M4A3 75mm Sherman
M4A3E8 76mm Wet Stowage Sherman
M4A3E8 105mm Sherman
M47 Patton
M48 Patton
M48A1 Patton
M60A1 Patton
M551 Sheridan
M7 105mm Priest
M7B1 105mm Priest
M37 105mm
M42A1 Duster
M43 8 inch
M50 Ontos
M53 155mm
M56 Scorpion
M16 Quad .50 cal Halftrack
MG Carrier LP2A Australian pattern Universal Carrier
M3 Halftrack
M29 Weasel
M59
M75
M106A2 120mm mortar
M548A1 Ammo carrier
M901 Tow launcher
M114
M114A1
M74
M51
M578

#10: Re: Dontos, Congrats and a question... Author: toadmanstankpictures PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2006 7:04 am
    ----
- Dontos
Lesley

Here is a listing from the site:

M1 Combat Car
M4A3 75mm Sherman
M4A3E8 76mm Wet Stowage Sherman
M4A3E8 105mm Sherman
M47 Patton
M48 Patton
M48A1 Patton
M60A1 Patton
M551 Sheridan
M7 105mm Priest
M7B1 105mm Priest
M37 105mm
M42A1 Duster
M43 8 inch
M50 Ontos
M53 155mm
M56 Scorpion
M16 Quad .50 cal Halftrack
MG Carrier LP2A Australian pattern Universal Carrier
M3 Halftrack
M29 Weasel
M59
M75
M106A2 120mm mortar
M548A1 Ammo carrier
M901 Tow launcher
M114
M114A1
M74
M51
M578

There's tons of other stuff there too. It's a good place to visit. I took 1700 pictures there during a 6 hour visit back in September. The guy who runs the place, Craig Michelson is a good guy and most helpful. I hope to get back down there for a visit later this Spring. If so, I'll get more pics of the Ontos for you.

Chris

#11: Re: Dontos, Congrats and a question... Author: DontosLocation: Vine Grove, KY PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2006 8:11 am
    ----
Chris

That would be awesome. Thanks

-> AFV News Discussion Board