My son found this picture...
-> AFV News Discussion Board

#1: My son found this picture... Author: SFC_Jeff_ButtonLocation: Ft Hood, TX PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2006 5:27 am
    ----
My 11 year old son found this picture while surfing the net for armored vehicles. I do not know German vehicles or aircraft. Would someone be kind enough to tell us what we have here? Looks like some sort of TOW mounted on top of the "Mini Tank". I sure wouldn't want to face an M1 in one of these![img][/img]

#2: Re: My son found this picture... Author: Roy_A_LingleLocation: El Paso & Ft Bliss, Texas PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2006 5:38 am
    ----
Hi Jeff!

That's is a Germany Airborne Light armored recon squad. First vehicle is a Mak 1 Wiesel with the US TOW ATGM system. The second vehicle coming out of the CH-53 is the Mk 20 A1 Wiesel with a 20mm autocannon.

Spot Report!
Sgt, Scouts Out!

#3: Re: My son found this picture... Author: SFC_Jeff_ButtonLocation: Ft Hood, TX PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2006 5:46 am
    ----
Thanks Roy,
Jeffrey says thanks for the info, he's sitting here with me now. He thinks it would be cool to drive one of those to school, however it might be hard to park at the bike rack, haha. I honestly didn't think any country used armor this small. Looks like a 240B MG would even make swiss cheese of it. How long have they been in use? Reminds me of an even smaller Ontos.

#4: Re: My son found this picture... Author: JinxLocation: Canada PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2006 7:03 am
    ----
It might be small, but that doesn't mean it can't pack a punch.

(Pictures and captions found at : www.aeronautics.ru/arc...2/wiesel/)

Mauser-Werke Oberndorf Defense Systems 30 mm RMK 30 automatic cannon installed for trials purposes on a MaK Wiesel 1 light armoured vehicle (2000)

The Rheinmetall Landsysteme Wiesel 2 is used for a number of applications such as the platform for the ASRAD air-defence system for the German Army (Source: STN ATLAS Elektronik)

#5: Re: My son found this picture... Author: Roy_A_LingleLocation: El Paso & Ft Bliss, Texas PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2006 7:57 am
    ----
- SFC_Jeff_Button
Thanks Roy,
Jeffrey says thanks for the info, he's sitting here with me now. He thinks it would be cool to drive one of those to school, however it might be hard to park at the bike rack, haha. I honestly didn't think any country used armor this small. Looks like a 240B MG would even make swiss cheese of it. How long have they been in use? Reminds me of an even smaller Ontos.

Hi Jeff and Jeffrey! Hi Folks!

I agree with Jeffrey, it would be great to drive around in.

You have remember when looking at those vehicles. They were designed for the German Airborne with a need to fit inside a CH-54. That calls for a very small vehicle.

As for a 240 making swiss cheese out of one, I don't think so. While the Wiesel maybe small, it should have protection up tp 7.62mm ball ammo and artillery shrapnel from a near miss.

The first batch was fielded in late 1989. The German Army ordered 210 TOW carriers and 135 auto cannon vehicles.

The version with four small road wheels is a Wiesel 2 which has an extended base.

There is are a couple of different mission types in service.

Vehicle is (the short one) 3.31 meters long, 1.82 meters wide, and height to the top of the hull is 1.352 meters.

Should fit into rush hour traffic without any problems.

One more note: The United States Army has a few of those Wiesels. Smile

However their are only be used for robotic testing. Sad

Spot report!
Sgt, Scouts Out!

#6: Re: My son found this picture... Author: JG300-AscoutLocation: Cyberspace PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2006 6:53 pm
    ----
It feels dirty even posting this....I feel so cheap. Sad

#7: Re: My son found this picture... Author: Roy_A_LingleLocation: El Paso & Ft Bliss, Texas PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2006 7:20 pm
    ----
[quote="JG300-Ascout"]It feels dirty even posting this....I feel so cheap. Sad

Hi there Ascout! Hi folks!

Buckup fly boy, you are not that cheap. Smile

That magazine cover is one of the FEW good points about Mr. Sparks position on adding armor to the US Airborne forces. Smile

To bad his mommy never told him that he can gather more flies with honey that he can with vinger. Confused

If he wasn't so over the top and excessive, he would have a much better chance of getting others to listin to him. He also needs to learn to listen to those who do not agree with him and not counter attack them with negative comments. Twisted Evil

One other nice point about his site is the very interesting models he uses to add visuals to his claims.

I have plans (I have lots of plans!) of trying to convert an old Tamiya Sheridan into a recon carrier without the turret. Now Mr. Sparks has givin me the idea of taking the left over turret and mounting it on top a M-113 APC. I figuer it would make a great conversional item at model club shows. Smile

Maybe I should start a campaign to recall the C-7 Caribou, add two more enigines to it so it can carry a pair of M114 Lingles deep into bad guy country! Wink

Now I think I will go take a nap and try very hard to clear my brain.
Sgt, Scouts Out!

#8: Re: My son found this picture... Author: DontosLocation: Vine Grove, KY PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2006 8:18 pm
    ----
- JG300-Ascout
It feels dirty even posting this....I feel so cheap. Sad

Shame!!

Be sure you wash your hands and get a new keyboard!! Shocked

-> AFV News Discussion Board