I'm looking for a picture of an F-105D....
-> Officer's Club

#1: I'm looking for a picture of an F-105D.... Author: SFC_Jeff_ButtonLocation: Ft Hood, TX PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2006 10:47 pm
    ----
The plane in question, is more specifically F-105D-31-RE, serial number 62-4322. It flew out of George AFB in Victorville, CA in 1963-64. Its unit was the 421st TFS, 355th TFW, 831st ADIV, of the 12AF. This plane crashed here at Fort Irwin on 11 Feb 1964. I have visited the crash site numerous times. I have a copy of the USAF crash report, and have even contacted a few people from the 421st / 355th. However no one seems to have a picture of this plane. Since it was built late 62, and crashed early 64, there is a short period of time for pictures to have been taken, but I have to believe some exist out there somewhere. Anyone have any ideas or contacts?

#2: Re: I'm looking for a picture of an F-105D.... Author: Doug_KibbeyLocation: The Great Satan PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2006 10:55 pm
    ----
I'd start with the units with which it flew. Still active? Any websites? Check for former members.
This is like our Vietnam Vet bug hunts...it's amazing what you can find with only a little information....

#3: Re: I'm looking for a picture of an F-105D.... Author: SFC_Jeff_ButtonLocation: Ft Hood, TX PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2006 11:07 pm
    ----
Believe me I've tried. I actually got a little "burned out" on the search. I looked and hundreds of photos. I'm hopeing someone might have served and have a picture of it, even if its in the background of another item being photographed

#4: Re: I'm looking for a picture of an F-105D.... Author: Doug_KibbeyLocation: The Great Satan PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2006 3:55 am
    ----
So close, and yet so far....
members.jcom.home.ne.j...20-sm3.jpg

taken in Yakota, Japan

#5: Re: I'm looking for a picture of an F-105D.... Author: NS38th_AristaeusLocation: Pensacola, FL. PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2006 7:18 am
    ----
~S~
Just a long shot but have you tried to find any newspaper stories fm the time that might have reported the crash in both TX and CA?
I would imagine one of the local papers reported it.

#6: Re: I'm looking for a picture of an F-105D.... Author: SFC_Jeff_ButtonLocation: Ft Hood, TX PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2006 5:00 pm
    ----
Doug, The F-105D you show above, serial 62-4320, crashed Sept 28, 1970. I dont have any specifics or even a location, but its listed as a loss due to "accidents" in my research. The bird I'm looking for, 62-4322, would have been silver in color still, pre-vietnam camo color scheme. Its my understanding that most F105's were painted in theater to the camo scheme.
I have check the local papers. Not so much as a mention of the crash. I even spoke with a writer at the paper and he couldn't find anything either.

#7: Re: I'm looking for a picture of an F-105D.... Author: Shadow_Banshee PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2006 8:38 pm
    ----
www.aeronautics.ru/arc...age_02.htm any use? hundreds of pics online but mostly blured ids,

#8: Re: I'm looking for a picture of an F-105D.... Author: Shadow_Banshee PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2006 8:39 pm
    ----
also u might find this intresting www.gotfootage.com/gf/...chive/pg/3

#9: Re: I'm looking for a picture of an F-105D.... Author: SFC_Jeff_ButtonLocation: Ft Hood, TX PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2006 7:15 pm
    ----
Thanks for the references, I'll try and get to them. I almost forgot about this post. Love those "Thuds"!!!!

-> Officer's Club