MicroSoft has they're hand in your pocket even deeper
-> Hardware

#1: MicroSoft has they're hand in your pocket even deeper Author: 401RCAF_HitManLocation: Ontario, CANADA (next to the beer store) PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2006 9:30 pm
    ----
Microsoft: Upgraded Motherboard = New Windows Licence

Microsoft recently made a change to the licence agreement saying that a new motherboard is equal to a new computer, hence you need to purchase a new Windows licence.

Here is what Microsoft has to say:

“An upgrade of the motherboard is considered to result in a “new personal computer� to which Microsoft® OEM operating system software cannot be transferred from another computer. If the motherboard is upgraded or replaced for reasons other than a defect, then a new computer has been created and the license of new operating system software is required.�

The reason Microsoft gave for this term is that “Microsoft needed to have one base component “left standing� that would still define that original PC. Since the motherboard contains the CPU and is the “heart and soul� of the PC, when the motherboard is replaced (for reasons other than defect) a new PC is essentially created.�

Microsoft sent a memo to its OEM partners asking them to enforce this new policy, every time they upgrade a computer for a client.

#2: Re: MicroSoft has they're hand in your pocket even deeper Author: RCAF_MadDog PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2006 9:33 pm
    ----
That dont surprise me at all rofl

#3: Re: MicroSoft has they're hand in your pocket even deeper Author: JG300-StoopyLocation: Group W bench PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2006 9:41 pm
    ----
Hitman, not that I doubt you, but are there links to more of this story? From what I understand of the EULA, the change to PC configuration definitely can't enter into it (although a re-registration will be necessary, which has been the case). The spirit of the EULA was simply that the product can only be installed on one system at a time.

It would be interesting to see additional details as to how the basic spirit of an established ocnvention could be altered so significantly.

#4: Re: MicroSoft has they're hand in your pocket even deeper Author: 401RCAF_HitManLocation: Ontario, CANADA (next to the beer store) PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2006 10:11 pm
    ----
Hi Stoopy...I got this info off another site but I did a little searching at Microsoft and it appears to affect OEM copies of XP and not Retail copies....

I should have checked this first but I posted the message in a fit of rage lol.

#5: Re: MicroSoft has they're hand in your pocket even deeper Author: Shadow_BshwackrLocation: Central Illinois, USA PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2006 10:48 pm
    ----
Reminds me, we need the plummer with the loose belt...

#6: Re: MicroSoft has they're hand in your pocket even deeper Author: ViperBiter PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2006 10:51 pm
    ----
Thats just gay.

#7: Re: MicroSoft has they're hand in your pocket even deeper Author: XcalibeR PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2006 2:23 am
    ----
- ViperBiter
Thats just gay.

Well put.

#8: Re: MicroSoft has they're hand in your pocket even deeper Author: ShadesLocation: 3rd Branch up, 'Ye Olde Oak', Green Wood. PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2006 9:16 am
    ----
It is genuine and a correct report from M$.
It's not that different from the policy they've always had.

Full versions of Windows are transferable. OEM, though considerably cheaper, are not.

This policy only refers to OEM versions of Windows which were not sold with pre-built machines.
Some pre-builds often have OEM OS's irrevocably tied to that machine's mobo and you couldn't transfer them if you tried (depeneds on the manufacturer and model of p.c.).

The new policy is because Windows used to be licenced to the cpu core. With multiple core cpu's suddenly available, M$'s sales and legal team had a pigeon over customers who were supposed to apply for two licences to run one Windows on the same machine so they applied it to the mobo instead.
OEM Windows has to be sold with a substantial p.c. component and cannot legally be sold separately.

edit: Full version Windows can be installed on a permanent pc and a.n.other pc the licence holder may need to work on (but must be completely removed as soon as attendance of that p.c. is ended). OEM may only ever be installed onto one p.c. motherboard (subject to terminal failure of same).

#9: Re: MicroSoft has they're hand in your pocket even deeper Author: RCAF_MadDog PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2006 2:53 pm
    ----
- Shades
OEM Windows has to be sold with a substantial p.c. component and cannot legally be sold separately.

That all depends on where you go to buy an OEM version lol

Back when I bought Win ME all I had to buy was a $3 Y power cable lol

#10: Re: MicroSoft has they're hand in your pocket even deeper Author: ShadesLocation: 3rd Branch up, 'Ye Olde Oak', Green Wood. PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2006 3:28 pm
    ----
Yep,
Got my OEM of XP-Pro on its' own but it's the seller's look-out, not mine.
Smile

#11: Re: MicroSoft has they're hand in your pocket even deeper Author: 401RCAF_HitManLocation: Ontario, CANADA (next to the beer store) PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2006 1:14 am
    ----
- Shadow_Bshwackr
Reminds me, we need the plummer with the loose belt...

You all bunged up again Bush? Mr. Green

#12: Re: MicroSoft has they're hand in your pocket even deeper Author: Shadow_BshwackrLocation: Central Illinois, USA PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2006 12:18 pm
    ----
Well, plummers are prejudged with having cracks showing and.... (Snickering)

#13: Re: MicroSoft has they're hand in your pocket even deeper Author: KitformLocation: Cleveland. UK. PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2006 5:12 pm
    ----
- Shadow_Bshwackr
Well, plummers are prejudged with having cracks showing and.... (Snickering)

You still on medication Bush... Mr. Green Mr. Green

(Can I have some Smile )

-> Hardware