what are these two tanks?
-> AFV News Discussion Board

#1: what are these two tanks? Author: SFC_Jeff_ButtonLocation: Ft Hood, TX PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2006 5:24 am
    ----
[img][/img][img][/img]
Just playing around surfing various definitions I typed into "Google" when I found these two pictures. Not knowing what they are, I figured I would show these to the "experts" on this DG. I quit making them "Quiz" questions because you have all shown me repeatedly that I cant stump this audience.

#2: Re: what are these two tanks? Author: toadmanstankpictures PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2006 5:34 am
    ----
The top one looks like a Soviet IS-2m while the bottom one is a ROK K1A1 MBT.

#3: Re: what are these two tanks? Author: bsmartLocation: Central Maryland PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2006 9:30 am
    ----
Any idea where the first one (The IS-2) was taken? It looks like it has had a part of the turret side armor cut out and replaced with sheet metal which would make me suspect it was used in some kind of training or technical intelligence program.

A lot of the tanks at Aberdeen have been modified the same way but I don't know of an IS2 ever being at Aberdeen and at Aberdeen the cutout is usually on the left side of the hull and/or turret

#4: Re: what are these two tanks? Author: toadmanstankpictures PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2006 3:44 pm
    ----
- bsmart
Any idea where the first one (The IS-2) was taken? It looks like it has had a part of the turret side armor cut out and replaced with sheet metal which would make me suspect it was used in some kind of training or technical intelligence program.

A lot of the tanks at Aberdeen have been modified the same way but I don't know of an IS2 ever being at Aberdeen and at Aberdeen the cutout is usually on the left side of the hull and/or turret

Maybe it was a museum/display piece in a Eastern European country. If you look closely, a vehicle from the T-34 family is parked on the left of the IS-2. In the background is a BTR-50/OT-62 type apc. I don't recognize the camo pattern on the BTR.

#5: Re: what are these two tanks? Author: keef PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2006 5:26 pm
    ----
Isnt the 2nd one a ROK K1 (105mm) not a K1A1 (120mm)?

Keef

#6: Re: what are these two tanks? Author: SFC_Jeff_ButtonLocation: Ft Hood, TX PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2006 3:34 am
    ----
I'm not sure where the pictures were taken. I suspected the Korean tank, since I have served there twice. That Soviet tank, I have no clue. I find many pictures while just typing in some odd mix of armor lingo to see what turns up, and I can't remember what I typed or what site it was on. Sorry.

#7: Re: what are these two tanks? Author: mike_Duplessis PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2006 3:12 pm
    ----
The top picture's not just a late IS-2, but a rare welded bow late IS-2! Take a close look at the photo, you'll see the big weld joints. I recall on the old Russian Battlefield website (practically impossible to navigate nowadays) they had a drawing of this type bow. Came from a specific factory, the welded bow armor was slightly thinner than the cast because rolled steel was of better quality and they got equal protection with less weight.

-> AFV News Discussion Board