Memphis Belle-A B17 that made history
-> Officer's Club

#1: Memphis Belle-A B17 that made history Author: Shadow_BshwackrLocation: Central Illinois, USA PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2006 1:07 pm
    ----
I watched a movie this past past week called "Memphis Belle" and that sent me on a little search for more information on this 'bird' and crew.

To my pleasure, I found out this is being restored at the Wright-Patterson Air Force Base which houses one of the finest Air Force Museums anywhere. Not only are they restoring it, but they're giving behind the scenes tours by appointment only. (Hmmm......Dayton is only 300 miles from me...:D).

I'll post up the links to other interesting sites and info about this bird and crew and if anyone gets the chance the see the movie, please do... Wink

The movie review link:Click HERE!

The Official MB web site: Click HERE!

The Memphis-Belle Captain. A chapter from his book: Click HERE!

The 91st. Bomber Groups Announcment of the MB Move:Click HERE!

WP Air Force Museum Page on MB:Click HERE!

There you have it! Some interesting facts and articles on this part of history... Wink

#2: Re: Memphis Belle-A B17 that made history Author: Doug_KibbeyLocation: The Great Satan PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2006 3:20 pm
    ----
...and a none-too-soon save it is. The "Belle" sat for years in a Memphis park slowly deteriorating, being stripped and vandalized in an unprotected area with virtually no interest in protecting her. She got some attention beginning in the late 80's which go a lot better after the movie. This one was on a fast track to the scrap heap before interest set in.

#3: Re: Memphis Belle-A B17 that made history Author: SFC_Jeff_ButtonLocation: Ft Hood, TX PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2006 4:43 am
    ----
Hey Bushwacker, I was born in Oakwood, (right beside Kettering and Dayton, Ohio) and lived there until 6th grade before moving to Delaware, Ohio, about 20 miles north of Columbus. Wright-Patt rocks!!!, (as well as Ohio). Once I retire from the Army, I believe I'll go back to Ohio. Maybe we could hook up for a tour of the museum. That place is one that I'd love to take my boys too. I've taken them to the March Airfield Museum in Riverside, (CA) but it doesn't have squat on Wright-Patt!

#4: Re: Memphis Belle-A B17 that made history Author: RCAF_MadDog PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2006 8:30 am
    ----
We could make it a party I love Wright-Patt too but dont count on seeing everything in one day lol

#5: Re: Memphis Belle-A B17 that made history Author: Shadow_BshwackrLocation: Central Illinois, USA PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2006 11:56 am
    ----
Sounds great Jeff!! I've been to that museum twice before and it's outstanding!

Not seeing it all in one day MD? No kidding!! Allow two days for the museum and more time if you're doing anything else in Dayton.

We had a Com Central Convention there one year which included the Dayton Air Show. FULL days and short nights are the norm and what a great way to spend a few days.

-> Officer's Club