another quiz
Go to page 1, 2  Next  :| |:
-> Officer's Club

#1: another quiz Author: Jeffrey_ButtonLocation: Killeen,Tx PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2006 2:44 am
    ----

just another quiz for yall guys. Can yall guys guess what this two plains are and what year.

#2: Re: another quiz Author: JG300-StoopyLocation: Group W bench PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2006 2:55 am
    ----
Boeing B-29 Superfortress and....hmm.....wanna say P-80 Shooting Star, but the cockpit looks like the 2-seater so I'll go with T-33.

As for when, well, the B-29 looks pretty well used and the T-33 is fairly well buttoned up for display, with a sign bolted to the left wing it looks like, (is that a B-47 StratoJet nose I see pokin' in from the right edge of the pic?)....could be anytime postwar, judging from the way the civilian visitors are dressed and the color film, heck it could be an airshow, maybe sometime in the late 60's??

#3: Re: another quiz Author: Jeffrey_ButtonLocation: Killeen,Tx PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2006 3:06 am
    ----
The planes seem correct, but the date on the photo said 1974, but with no location.

#4: Re: another quiz Author: Doug_KibbeyLocation: The Great Satan PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2006 3:08 am
    ----
I'm thinking static exhibit at an AFB. Not Hill, probably not March. Dunno' where, but with a real "fall" season.

#5: Re: another quiz Author: JG300-StoopyLocation: Group W bench PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2006 3:09 am
    ----
Digital image enhancement indicates the family doesn't seem dressed appropriately for the 60's either...note the Dad wearing Blue Jeans and the kids appears to be wearing...Bell Bottoms?

Also appears that Dad is beginning to loose his hair, but is keeping it long in back in spite of the receding hairline.....indicating he's trying real hard to stay "hip" with the kids. Mom is also a Brunette, indicating she's likely a babe, so those are likely the natural parents or the neighborhood milkman has dark hair also. Little Johhny on the right has slightly lighter hair and may be adopted, the other son next to Dad is wearing a scarf (what's with that?) and the daughter is keeping her distance from everyone so she's definitely between 13 and 16.

#6: Re: another quiz Author: Jeffrey_ButtonLocation: Killeen,Tx PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2006 3:27 am
    ----
My dad and I just did a little research ant found out this info on the picture. The B-29 is actually a Bell-Atlanta B-29-60BA Superfortress, and it is listed as being on display at the SAC museum at Offutt AFB, NE., before being moved to a museum west of Omaha. So I guess all these planes might still be there.
The T-33A-5-LO was one of 260 built in its contract run in 1948.
The plane behind the B29 appears to be tail number 0-30198. If that is correct, it is a Boeing KC-97G Stratofrieghter, one of 259 built in its contract run in 1953.
We went to Joe Baughers site and looked up the tail numbers, a very good site for research.

#7: Re: another quiz Author: Doug_KibbeyLocation: The Great Satan PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2006 3:51 am
    ----
Aw, Shucks...I just came out of my coma and realized that this is Jeffrey Jr's. thread, not our erstwhile SFC "Jeff"!

That means a lot of Stoopy's oblique humor will not be fully appreciated until Dad explains it, which he's good at (so he can fill me in on the parts I didn't get....)

Anyway, it's an interesting pic, even more interesting post, and a big "Howdy!" goes out to Jeffrey from San Diego!

Doug has to take his leave tomorrow night for a few days...goin' skiing with the wife, who'd never seen snow before 2004, but will likely be outrunning me on the slopes in another year or two....

#8: Re: another quiz Author: SFC_Jeff_ButtonLocation: Ft Hood, TX PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2006 4:08 am
    ----
I may have created a "monster"! Jeffrey is now wanting to look up various aircraft and research their tail numbers. I had to pry him from the computer and make him take his shower so I could get on here. haha. Have fun skiing, and don't break anything.

#9: Re: another quiz Author: XcalibeR PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2006 5:05 am
    ----
No worries! But tell him that he'd better start giving us some harder aircraft! Mr. Green

#10: Re: another quiz Author: SFC_Jeff_ButtonLocation: Ft Hood, TX PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2006 5:07 pm
    ----
[img][/img]
That tail in the background (of the top picture) would appear to be a B36, more accurately, a Convair B36J-5-CF Peacemaker built in 1952, under contract number 52-2222/2226. However, "J" models used the same serials as the "H" models, making what would have been tail number 22226, the one that seems to appear, 22367.
I have attached this photo for size comparison between B29 and B36. I can't make out these tail numbers but this is suppossed to have been taken at Roswell, when B36's were replaceing the B29's, anyone know the time period, I dont.

#11: Re: another quiz Author: RCAF_WingnutLocation: Omaha, Ne. PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2006 11:22 pm
    ----
LOL, I've recently seen all the aircraft in that first photo. I live in Omaha, and was at the Strategic Air and Space Museum, a couple weeks ago. The plane that is peeking out on the right side of the picture may not be a B-47. If you look slightly in front of the nose, there are props and an engine nacelle. It belongs to a B-45C(NRB), S/N 48-0017, Tornado, North American recon plane. I looked it up on the museum web site. The largest tail on the far right of the photo is definately the B-36J-111, S/N 52-2217A, General Dynamics. with the Boeing KC-97G, S/N 53-0198, "Stratofreighter" being the second in line next to the B-29(TB), S/N 44-84076, Super Fortress, Boeing (Bell). I have been on that ramp that the museum used to be located, and that picture was very familier to me. The new museum hosts travelling exibits periodically, and currently has the Liberty Bell 7 Mercury capsule on display. That is the one that Gus Grissom flew, that the hatch blew off and sank to the bottom of the Atlantic for 30 years. In fact they have a number of current and former astronauts scheduled to make appearances there over the next couple months. One will be there this Saturday, in fact, and I may go out and listen to him. The smaller plane is diffinately a Lockheed T-33A, S/N 61-7964, "T-Bird". I've seen a few of them flying when I was still active duty in the Air Force. If you want to see what is on display at that museum, here is a link www.strategicairandspace.com/

#12: Re: another quiz Author: SFC_Jeff_ButtonLocation: Ft Hood, TX PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2006 5:18 am
    ----
Jo_Wingnut,
Do you have any experiance with F-105's during your time in the USAF? I love that bird. I have a 1:48 scale F-105D, "The Ohio Express" from Revell that I plane to build once I get to my next duty station at Fort Hood this summer. Being from Ohio, liking F-105's, and having recieved an e-mail from Pete Foley (then Captain) about the bird when I was researching F-105's, has me itching to build and display it. My son found the model at China Lakes gift shop when we went to the museum there about 3 weeks ago.

#13: Re: another quiz Author: RCAF_WingnutLocation: Omaha, Ne. PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2006 1:52 pm
    ----
No, the F-105 was preatty much being phased out when I was in, and I didn't have any contact with them. The major plane still in use was the F-4, and I worked around the D, E, & G models, as well as C-5, C-141, C-130, and F-111. I've seen several different planes and helos, like the B-52, HH-3, HH-53, and the UH-1's, but didn't have much direct contact with them. They started using the F-15, and F-16, and were flying them when I was in Germany. I only saw them when they were passing through or during an air show.

#14: Re: another quiz Author: RCAF_WingnutLocation: Omaha, Ne. PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2006 7:23 pm
    ----
I just got back from the Museum at its new location, and I specifically looked at the nose of the B-47 on exhibition there and the Prop planes there, and I need to make a correction. That nose is definately the B-47 and the prop looks like the on on the Albatross. I spoke to one of the Museum employees, and I'm going to get a conformation on it too, but I'm preatty sure that what planes we can see, and not the B-45, which turned out to be a 4 engined jet plane. I'll get back when I hear from that staff member.

#15: Re: another quiz Author: JG300-StoopyLocation: Group W bench PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2006 7:42 pm
    ----
Wingnut, I cannot thank you enough for going to so much trouble just to prove my original observation on the B-47 nose, so very far above, is correct.

As usual, I believe the lesson here is "listen to what ol' Stoop is tellin' youse guys." Thanks for having faith in me, wingy! Heh heh heh.... Cool

-> Officer's Club