SUGGESTED READING
-> Officer's Club

#1: SUGGESTED READING Author: Combat PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2005 12:35 am
    ----
I like books. Always did. We had a nice post at the old CC where some of us would suggest a book now and then. I figured why not start it up again here:

Reading this one now and love it:

IN HARMS WAY
by Doug Stanton

The true story of the USS Indianapolis. You all know the story that Quint told in JAWS. They just delivered the bomb to Tinian. They get hit with 2 Jap torpedoes and having 1200 guys go into the water and only 300 survive the sharks. Great book!

For sports or people fans here is a great one for the bathroom:
THE GAMES DO COUNT
by Brian Kilmeade (he's a FOX News guy)

This one's about famous people and how sports influenced their lives. It's like 85 people with a few pages on each one. Example how HOCKEY changed John Kerry's life, or how boxing changed Tony Danza's life, or how football and basketball influenced Jon Bon Jovi's life! GREAT BOOK WHEN YOUR TAKING A DUMP! HIGHLY RECOMMENDED! REALLY!

#2: Re: SUGGESTED READING Author: Combat PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2005 4:47 pm
    ----
www.com-central.net/in...=1816#1816
this one could be a good one!

#3: Re: SUGGESTED READING Author: RAF92_MoserLocation: Illinois PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2005 10:58 pm
    ----
Read Flags of Our Fathers. Its about the lives of the flagraisers on Iwo Jima, written well by the son of one of the flagraiser. Very touching book.

#4: Re: SUGGESTED READING Author: Uhu_RodionLocation: L'Aquila, Italy PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2005 2:36 am
    ----
Excellent idea to start this thread, well done, Combat!

Marco

#5: Re: SUGGESTED READING Author: Combat PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2005 9:04 pm
    ----
Read Flags of Our Fathers. Its about the lives of the flagraisers on Iwo Jima, written well by the son of one of the flagraiser. Very touching book.

Yup! That's a great one! And another great one by the same author is FLYBOY's!

Here's a good James Bradley link. www.jamesbradley.com/ These are great books!

#6: Re: SUGGESTED READING Author: JG300-HolmesLocation: Straight Outta Jersey PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2005 10:05 am
    ----
There's one I had put up here on the older site, but I really liked it, one of the few modern books I've read, tending to usually read old WWII pilot biographies but anyways....

Eye of the Viper: The Making of an F16 Pilot
by Peter Aleshire

In terms of recent (August 2004) so it's pretty current, and it lets you walk through the phase where some F-16 hopefulls get to finally mess around with the F-16's. Great detail in some of the Ops and what not and I mean it gave me more respect for everything the pilots still have to do despite the better technology of today.

Discusses some of the traditions like picking a nickname to sharing stories of the worst flights of the week etc, I suck at reading but I think I knocked this one out in like 2 days which is unheard of for me.

~S~

#7: Re: SUGGESTED READING Author: Combat PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2005 2:35 pm
    ----
ah! Holmey thanks for that one. Sounds like a good one! I like the part you wrote about going through the process of picking nicknames. Another one to have to check out! Thanks!

I may just link my wife to this thread the next time she's out buying me some reading material!

#8: Re: SUGGESTED READING Author: JG300-HolmesLocation: Straight Outta Jersey PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2005 2:45 pm
    ----
yea, combat, although in this case they gave them kinda rough ones, since they're just recruits, and their only temporary till they get to their real units later

BTW what you flying these days? been awhile, maybe I'll hop back to CFS3 and swap some lead with ya

lol the other thing i remember them saying about the stories is they had the 10% rule

only 10% of any story had to be true..if it was less than that someone could yell bull****, and they were like an elaborated story told greatly is way better than an accurate story told poorly

hehe, i tend to try to keep the stories i tell to about 20-30% myself, but i thought it was great that they were expecting embellishment from the pilots

~S~

#9: Re: SUGGESTED READING Author: JG300-AscoutLocation: Cyberspace PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2005 4:11 pm
    ----
"The Secret War Against Hanoi" - Richard Schultz, Jr.

VERY authoritative and well researched/documented....not the usual tripe on the sneaky Pete's. Facinating and WAY sad...a previously untold (well) story and a microcosm of the entire war.

#10: Re: SUGGESTED READING Author: NS38th_AristaeusLocation: Pensacola, FL. PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2005 6:24 am
    ----
"FIX ON THE RISING SUN"
I have just purchased and read this book and true of false, fact or fiction it is a good read. well worth it. I picked my copy up fm Amazon.
For more info u can find it here.
www.hawaiiclipper.com
~S~

#11: Re: SUGGESTED READING Author: JG300-1BulletLocation: Odessa, Texas PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2005 7:30 pm
    ----
Here's a good one for your reading pleasure. A very good story about the Viet Nam war

The 13th Valley
John M. Del Vecchio

www.amazon.com/exec/ob...79-1023359

#12: Re: SUGGESTED READING Author: Combat PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2005 8:00 pm
    ----
"FIX ON THE RISING SUN"
I have just purchased and read this book and true of false, fact or fiction it is a good read. well worth it.

I have to get that one!

Thanks for the 13th Valley suggestion 1Bullet! My favorite Viet Nam book was Marine Sniper 93 Confirmed Kills, by Charles Henderson. True story about Carlos Hathcock and his incredible string of kills as a sniper in Viet Nam. I mean putting a scope on a .50 Cal machine gun and killing an enemy with a single shot from it at a distance of 2,500 yards is just sick. One of my favorites! 13th Valley sounds like a good one.

-> Officer's Club